1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 wheel drive light blinking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dwgill11, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Sep 21, 2016 at 12:43 AM
    Jakeytaco07

Jakeytaco07 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    2007 Automatic Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Front and rear Road Armor bumpers with 4 PIAA lights on the front and 2 ridged LEDs in the back black fuel rims
    So I am just now having this problem on my 2007 taco what would be the best way to fix this?

2. Sep 21, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    tacoholic05

tacoholic05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05' 4x4
    I had similar issues with mine, would stay in 4 wheel and blink (switch at 2wd) until I hit a good size pot hole or something and then the 4wd would disengage - thought it was the front actuator from my searching on here. During frame swap they noticed a cut in the ground wire, fixed and have not had a problem since.

3. Apr 9, 2018 at 6:29 AM
    Smurf rig329

Smurf rig329 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge
    Vehicle:
    2010 blue tacome sport
    33 in buckshot maxxis mudders, it has a 2 inch rough country leveling kit on it. Pioneer toich screen radio.
    I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma, and went through some mud the other day with it and whil left the wheels where spinning at a slow speed I engaged it and it made a God awful sound and now my 4x4 lights stays blinking....any clue how to fix.

4. Apr 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    DFried

DFried New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '14 Gray Tacoma Dbl cab 4x4
    3 1/4 x 2 Level lift on XD Addicts wrapped in Nitto G2s Rigid Industries SRM spot white LED fog lights
    I just had this issue at 60,000 miles dealer did cover it under warranty there was no code being thrown on the computer because of the lights flashing but after doing their diagnostics and looking into it after two hours they found that the front actuator for the four-wheel-drive was dirty so they took it off cleaned it and his shift into four-wheel-drive every time smoothly and there is no light blinking.

Smurf rig329 likes this.
  5. Apr 29, 2018 at 5:51 AM
    DFried

DFried New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '14 Gray Tacoma Dbl cab 4x4
    3 1/4 x 2 Level lift on XD Addicts wrapped in Nitto G2s Rigid Industries SRM spot white LED fog lights
    In addition to my first post I just had to bring my truck back in for the same issue. The dealer had my truck for two days and warranty swapped the front actuator which I can see is brand new and very well sealed and installed.

6. Dec 2, 2018 at 1:54 PM
    Tyson

Tyson $Mr.T$

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    15' TRD off road, dbl, 6spd, 4.0L
    All-Pro UCA Stage 4 Icon lift redline hood struts interior dome and map LED lights 2 spot led pods (ditch lights) flush mount rear back up flood pods hood and bed LED lights GPS anytime mod RTMR electrical system (relays fuses etc.) weather tech floor mats anytime fog lights bixenon headlights and fogs ABS off switch anytime rear e-locker 30" OSRAM light bar (in grill) ARB CKMTA12 compressor ARB front locker Rock sliders all-pro Apex coming later: Doug Thorley long tube headers Y pipe Exhaust
    so.... I just had this happen to my 2015, it won't go into 4wd at all and the light just blinks.... from what you've all said, it should be covered under warranty.... I just don't trust the local Toyota shop to do "ANYTHING" right.

and will most likely give me crap about the anytime e-locker... etc misc mods

Running Board Man likes this.
  7. Dec 11, 2018 at 5:52 AM
    Tyson

Tyson $Mr.T$

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    15' TRD off road, dbl, 6spd, 4.0L
    All-Pro UCA Stage 4 Icon lift redline hood struts interior dome and map LED lights 2 spot led pods (ditch lights) flush mount rear back up flood pods hood and bed LED lights GPS anytime mod RTMR electrical system (relays fuses etc.) weather tech floor mats anytime fog lights bixenon headlights and fogs ABS off switch anytime rear e-locker 30" OSRAM light bar (in grill) ARB CKMTA12 compressor ARB front locker Rock sliders all-pro Apex coming later: Doug Thorley long tube headers Y pipe Exhaust
    so... an update,... I took my truck in to get the 4wd actuator fixed/replaced. Got it done but had to have the wife and friend go pick the truck up cause of work. anyway They call me up and tell me it does not go into 4wd very smoothly, and that the problem is my back tires are severely worn more more than my front tires. (sounds like a BS reason to me) (fyi, the tires have like 8k miles at most on them. and haven't even rotated them)
    just want to know what you all think of what the shop told me.

..... the truck 4wd works just fine! as does the 4Lo

8. Dec 11, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    livelifetolive

livelifetolive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOBERDAVE
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2009 4dr Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
  9. Dec 11, 2018 at 6:28 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    BS

10. Dec 29, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    PmahoneyNW

PmahoneyNW Active Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB
    Dobinson's 2" Lift Cooper Discoverer AT3
    Hey guys. Just had this happen to me...switched into 4hi on a hill, heard an awful knocking noise , it switched into 4, I switched it back to 2 shortly after but the 4x4 light won't stop blinking and I can't switch it back into 4hi.

I have about 75K on the truck and am wondering what the stealership is going to say since technically my drivetrain warranty has expired. What do you guys think?

11. Mar 29, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    Kamrin

Kamrin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manukai
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Sports TRD
    I need some help with my 2006 Tacoma it is stock in four weel drive and won’t come out the four weel drive light is blinking

12. Mar 29, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    These things are really finicky and if not exercised often can become quite problematic. Try different combinations of backing up, shifting from park to neutral to reverse. Just don’t cycle the switch back and forth a lot. Worst case is actuator needs to be replaced. It’s ok to drive just avoid sharp turns.

Products Discussed in

To Top