Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Maint Reqd" light was on.......

Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
230g Hydra-Shok is on a distinguished road
230g Hydra-Shok's Tacoma Gallery
"Maint Reqd" light was on.......

I was driving home on Saturday and it came on. I was like...... Truck was, is, and always has run fine.

I know that the light comes on when a certain number of miles have been put on the odometer and it thinks you need an oil change but up until this time, the light has blinked a few times when I first started it. It didn't do that this time. I was just driving down the highway and it popped on.

It might be the oil change/odometer thing because I had just turned 19,000 miles but it's worrying nonetheless. The dealership is an hour away and I don't want to waste a trip there if it's for nothing.

Anyway, I remembered the procedure that I read here to reset the Maint Reqd light and did that. It shut off right away and hasn't come back on since.

If there were actually a problem with the truck, the light would come back on, wouldn't it???

Thanks as always!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
no thats just to remind you of oil change. If there was a problem the check engine light would come on
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadude5 View Post
no thats just to remind you of oil change. If there was a problem the check engine light would come on
Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I changed my oil and filter just about 1,500 miles ago but I think the light coming on is based solely on the odometer, not like some fancy oil-sensing apparatus, right?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Rtfm
Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Surf805 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Surf805's Tacoma Gallery
I change my oil regularly but my light is still on. ive pretty much ignored it at this point...
Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had this light come on. It would be nice to see a list of what will turn it on. Is it based on milage or is there more to it than that?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Ecapvegas is on a distinguished road
Ecapvegas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
I've never had this light come on. It would be nice to see a list of what will turn it on. Is it based on milage or is there more to it than that?
+1^ anyone know if there is such a list or anyone know for sure that it's only related to oil changes?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf805 View Post
I change my oil regularly but my light is still on. ive pretty much ignored it at this point...
Here's how to reset that light:

To reset you Maintenance Required light:
1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 second. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.
NOTE: (You will see a series of dashes that count down while the system resets itself)

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue to flash and you must re-perform the procedure.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Maint Req light is based on mileage intervals between resets.

Check engine light is based on error codes being registered by the OBD2 module.

Is this stuff stickied yet?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Surf805 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Surf805's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230g Hydra-Shok View Post

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 second. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.
NOTE: (You will see a series of dashes that count down while the system resets itself)

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue to flash and you must re-perform the procedure.
ahhh thanks! just went down to the garage and did it!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecapvegas View Post
+1^ anyone know if there is such a list or anyone know for sure that it's only related to oil changes?

IIRC-
4500 miles it will flash like 6 times (so 10-12 seconds) on start up until
5000 miles when it will come on solid and stay on until it is reset. There is no magic sensor that turns it off. If you or the mech who does your work doesn't reset it-It'll go off on mileage, no matter when you swap oil out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
Maint Req light is based on mileage intervals between resets.

Check engine light is based on error codes being registered by the OBD2 module.

Is this stuff stickied yet?
13th item on the "Mods and Tutorials" Drop down at the top of the site. People just tend to post instead of searching because they do not know what it means and are concerned for their rig.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Taco Rookie
lepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
lepedog23's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lepedog23
my maint req light blinks "six" times when i turn on my truck. i noticed it yesterday so i changed out the oil/filter this morning. it only has 4,890 miles on it. and its worrying my since its new. possible problem? runs perfect checked all fluids and all is good. going to try the reset.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
Rtfm
I think they stopped issuing them with the trucks, part of that "going green" hype.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
calaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant future

Name: Carlos
calaniz0312's Tacoma Gallery
The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. It's my first Toyota and I didn't know what the light meant until I asked here. Change your oil bro. That's all you need.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
this light messes with my OCD mind. i cant let it flash for 500 miles..i end up doing mine right away which is around the 4500 mile mark..this was yesterday.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I think they stopped issuing them with the trucks, part of that "going green" hype.
Most likely, judging by the number of threads with maint. light issue...
Toyota should make recall on that.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
Rtfm
f'n seriously
Old 06-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #19
Taco Rookie
lepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud oflepedog23 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
lepedog23's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lepedog23
Quote:

does this work on all tacoma 05-present? tried doing this earlier a few times and didnt work. had to come back and read it a few times to make sure i was doing it right. and still keeps blinking?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I found this thread in "search mode" and need to turn off my "maintenance light" tomorrow.

Thanks for the DIY post ...