1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Floor Jack - Steel vs. Aluminum

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by raycie, Jun 8, 2010.

?

Floor Jack

Poll closed Jul 8, 2010.
  1. Steel

45 vote(s)
    50.6%
  2. Aluminum

44 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. Jun 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    yea but i havent really found anything truly reliable from china. this is a throw away society so things are made cheap id rather buy 1 made in us jack (twice the price) and not have to buy 6 chinese jacks in the next 20 years.

Support our economy!!! Buy american!!!

I dont mean cars because theres probably more chinese parts in american cars than any others

2. Jun 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    I bought a low profile steel jack at Napa for 200 dollars, the thing weighs a ton. For some reason the thing always leaks the oil, nonetheless I've used it without problem.

I have a light weight alumium jack from AC/Delco and have the Harbor freight version which I bought for 60 dollars. Both work awesome and easy to move around unlike the steel NAPA one. The only thing is that the alumium ones move a bit when lifting unlike the one ton monster from NAPA, but I"ve never had problems with them nor do they leak oil.

Bottom line, for carrying around in your truck the alumium ones, for working at home the steel one.

3. Jun 10, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded

I got the Arcan from Costco and to my needs is just fine, works great and lightweight compared to steel ones, I've used for the last 1.5 yrs, maybe more time, not sure when I got it but definetely less than 2yrs.

To the rest of you, you NEVER should crawl under a vehicle supported only with a hydraulic jack, no matter what brand or make, the hydraulic bottle seal may fail since it's made of rubber (not steel or aluminum) so if you need to get under the vehicle, get and use jack stands, for changing tires or rotating them it's not necessary, but to get under the vehicle use jack stands as you insurance.

I know of a few cases that vehicles have fell on "experienced mechanics" using only a hydraulic jack as support.

4. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    I am a home "mechanic", not a pro, but what I've found is that HF type chinese hyd jacks typically last me 3-5 yrs before they start to leak fluid on the floor or leak down under pressure. 3-5 years use for me would amount to a week's use in a tire shop. I'm on my third chinese floor jack, the previous two will "leak down". I have an HF hydraulic shop press and I just purchased the THIRD jack for it from HF- the others leaked fluid from where the pump ram goes into the jack body. Proper o-ring sealing generally requires +/-.001" tolerances on the components like the piston/cylinder and for the $20-30 hyd portion of a jack there's obviously no way they can provide that machining quality for the $. For my next floor jack I'll look at other brands, even though it'll mean spending ~5X more. Here are a few links I saved:

http://www.asedeals.com/automotive_floor_jacks.html

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/c-134-floor-jacks-axle-jacks.aspx

5. Jun 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Went with the 3.5 ton arcan from Costco, and a pair of craftsman 3 ton high jack stands.. The stands and the jack reach close to 22", so that should be good enough for me..

Did open it up and tested it last night.. worked how a floor jack should.. Also lowered pretty decent even when I opened it up a little too much.. (didn't slam down)..

Tomorrow will really get some use out of it as I get rid of the block and try another aal..

Will post how it goes..

6. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    Mandy3206

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Yesterday talked to my 4x4 store mechanic that uses the Arcan from Costco, the jack is all beat up and scratched as hell, the rubber on the plate is missing and I asked him how it handles for every day use, and he told me that it works great and not a sign of failing, it just do as it's supposed to do, I'm glad I got mine since it's not going to see the use this guy submit his to so mine should last for a very long time. He bought his about 3 yrs ago and still holding for everyday use. As a note, I've never before heard about Arcan until I got mine, but seems to be a good jack.

7. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    Mandy3206

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Why would you buy from the same vendor 3 times if the merchandise is crap and doesn't hold up to your expectations, it just don't make sense. I can understand 1, maybe 2 times, but three is asking for trouble, sorry I can't believe anyone making the same mistake 3 times. seems to me something else is going on. Please clarify this..............

8. Jun 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Yeah, I have been really happy with the 3.5 Arcan from Costco so far. The control while lowering is great. I was so happy to sell my shitty Craftsman 2-ton on craigslist. Good riddance.

If you need jackstands, I have found that Tractor Supply Company has great prices on all kinds of stuff (best deal on Seafaom, too!) Nearly half the price of Napa. I got 6-ton stands just for the extra height when resting on the frame rails for rear suspension swap out--and added safety confidence.

9. Jun 11, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    did my aal this morning.. jack did what it is supposed to do.. Yes it weighs close to or over 100lbs.. just means it stays in the garage..

3 ton craftsman stands did their job too..

Products Discussed in

To Top