Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

MAF Calibrator

Old 06-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
eddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant future
Name: Eddie
eddieEndo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eddieEndo
MAF Calibrator

I've noticed a lot of people using intakes also have the MAF calibrator, could someone explain in depth to me the purpose of one? (is it a need or more of a want item that goes hand in hand with the intake)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
MAF CAL allows you to tune the engine to the intake that way you aren't running lean or rich...

it definitely helps the engine cause it will adjust the a/f ratio that way your getting optimal performance...but if you want my honest opinion...save up and get the X-1...it can do way more then a MAF CAL...well worth the money...

pm me if you have any more questions...
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
yotatoy is on a distinguished road
yotatoy's Tacoma Gallery
whats the x-1
Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
whats the x-1
APR X-1 <-click for link

its a plug and play tuner unit that is specifically designed for the 1GR-FE motor...it plugs directly into your ECU like a piggy back system...

X-1 comes with 170* Thermostat, Cam Gears (more aggressive then stock), X-1 Tuner unit...

its a self learning and tuning tuner unit...once installed it will learn your performance parts and adjust the tune for optimal performance...obviously you can run a data log send that off to APR, Doug from HVM, Gadget from URD, or any of the other X-1 gurus...that way those individuals can help you understand your current tune map and tweak the tune to make it even better...

IMHO the X-1 throttle response alone is worth the money...I felt a huge difference after the X-1 was installed...

if you got any more questions hit me up through pm's/email...
Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
The X-1 is on my long term mod list. Just paid close to $1k for my ultimate lift (in transit, yay). I might get it myself for x-mas
congrats bro...you won't be disappointed in the X-1 I promise you that...when you do get your X-1 hit me up prior to installation that way I can give you pictures of how the cam gears get installed...

I just got a Pro Comp Stage 2 lift for $550... so I'll be joining the lifted club very shortly...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0LLPHR33 View Post
congrats bro...you won't be disappointed in the X-1 I promise you that...when you do get your X-1 hit me up prior to installation that way I can give you pictures of how the cam gears get installed...

I just got a Pro Comp Stage 2 lift for $550... so I'll be joining the lifted club very shortly...
lol, I'll need professional help to do anything but an oil change (and I haven't had to do one yet in my new truck). I'm sure, however, that the pictures will be helpful to whoever will install it for me
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
lol, I'll need professional help to do anything but an oil change (and I haven't had to do one yet in my new truck). I'm sure, however, that the pictures will be helpful to whoever will install it for me
I got friend in SC and near there...that maybe willing to help you and save you some $$$ at the same time...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I got friend in SC and near there...that maybe willing to help you and save you some $$$ at the same time...
Keep in touch! I'd love to learn and share some cold drinks in the process
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Keep in touch! I'd love to learn and share some cold drinks in the process
pm me if you have any questions regarding the X-1...

BTW...your quote in your signature is hillarious...minus a few words...FULL METAL JACKET FTMFW!!!...lol
Old 06-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
on idiot patrol ;)
Quote:
pm me if you have any questions regarding the X-1...

BTW...your quote in your signature is hillarious...minus a few words...FULL METAL JACKET FTMFW!!!...lol
Will do if I remember it in December lol.
Yeah, FMJ was my inspiration, and my sig is the actual wording (well, minus rifle and insert truck) of the rifleman's creed; first few lines of it

Back to the OP: I considered the MAF calibrator. If all you can afford is ~$200, go for it. The tuner is over $1,000. Since I just tanked over $3k in 6 weeks of owning my 2010, I decided to call it quits after the lift kit I ordered is installed. Time to pay off the credit card
Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The X-1 is on my long term mod list. Just paid close to $1k for my ultimate lift (in transit, yay). I might get it myself for x-mas
The APR does not yet work with the 09-10 Tacomas. Toyota changed the plugs and the ECU, and from what I hear, no aftermarket vendors have been given access to the necessary info to get their products supported.

I've "heard" that you can cut in the APR to the 09+ wiring harness and make it work, but I have no intention of splicing a couple hundred wires by hand.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
The APR does not yet work with the 09-10 Tacomas. Toyota changed the plugs and the ECU, and from what I hear, no aftermarket vendors have been given access to the necessary info to get their products supported.

I've "heard" that you can cut in the APR to the 09+ wiring harness and make it work, but I have no intention of splicing a couple hundred wires by hand.
the OP Eddie has an '08 that's why I originally suggest it...

but yes you are correct so far TOYOTA has been hush hush about the new ECU Plugs...because of TOYOTA designed it its up to them to release the harness to the aftermarket industry...but until then the 2010 guys have to wait...if they do become inpatient start splicing but we all know how quickly that can get ugly...lol
Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
eddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant future
Name: Eddie
eddieEndo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eddieEndo
That sounds awesome, thanks for the quick informative responses guys, i know i can just search and there'll be 10000x other threads but i've got a bunch of questions and i didnt want to bump an ancient thread haha, will the x-1 screw me out of warranties? at at 32k miles am i even eligible for any warranties haha