1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Securing a carbine or rifle in the 2nd Gen Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rob_s, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Jun 9, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    rob_s

rob_s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    I'm posting this here because I don't think I need to hear solutions from those with trucks dissimilar to mine.

What I'm considering doing is working up a way to secure a carbine behind the rear fold-down seatbacks. Removing the plastic and grinding off the kid retraint hooks, and either figuring out a way to lock the seatbacks in the upright position or having some kind of locking cover fabbed up to secure the area.

Thoughts? Anyone else try anything similar? Any pictures of the plastic stripped out back there, perhaps from a sub install? Any measurements of what I'm looking at in terms of area?

2. Jun 9, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    secure it under the seats in that storage compartment. I keep a SA M6 Scout .22/410 o/u as my emergency rifle there.

3. Jun 9, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    rob_s

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    Is there a way to lock that bin? Does anyone know if an AR or similar will fit in the bin?
    (obviously I can try the second myself when I get home tonight, just curious if others have any experience with it)

4. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    kinetik873

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    It may, with the mag removed, Id look at going to a metal fab shop and having a metal cover made if your serious about securing your weapon. Why do you want a rifle in your truck?

5. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:
    I purchased a plate specifically made for my M4 and mounted it to the back wall, very secure and access is simple enough (1 key lock)

6. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    rob_s

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    This isn't a fulltime solution, just a way to secure it when needed from time to time for various reasons.

7. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    rob_s

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    Remember where you got it, and if you had to grind off the child restraints to use it and/or remove the plastic?

8. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    I found an assembled AR won't fit under the seat without cutting plastic and/or removing the jack. The AR is too tall(measured from flat top to bottom of pistol grip). It's also too thick because of the tranny hump to lay in there; and way too tall with an optic.
    FYI: I tried this with a 14.5" M4gery with perm Vortex, SOPMOD stock, DD Omega, and Aimpoint Micro w/ LaRue mount.
    If you can mange to fit it, you can try the bed storage mod; which is basically cabinet locks. I don't know how secure it would be under those flimsy plastic covers, though.

9. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it illegal to have a CONCEALED longgun in a vehical?

10. Jun 9, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    state laws vary so research is pretty important in things like this

11. Jun 9, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    Depends.
    Define "concealed". What state? Loaded/unloaded? CCW or CHL? etc....

EDIT: Laws will usually read, "it is a defense against prosecution"...Doesn't mean it's a get out of jail free card.

12. Jun 9, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    rob_s

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    I was hoping we could avoid going down that path, but apparently not.

Suffice it to say that I will ensure that I obey all laws, state and federal. :rolleyes:

13. Jun 10, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    puddlejumper

puddlejumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Rugged Trail Edition
    Homemade Rear Hi-Clear. Rear Bumper, ARB Front w/Fog Light Option. Superwinch EPi9.0s with Amsteel Blue. Going to make sliders, skids and bed cage/box, I have a camper shell for long range travel. Vision X Tantrum Lights for being a "pimp in the bush", Cobra CB, lots of tools and random junk that helps to add traction due to weight.
    I was actually looking at that today.... I am thinking about fabricating a rack to mount two rifles on the ceiling above the back seat or making a vertical rack that can mount directly behind the center console on the center of the rear floorboard. There are some commercially made products out there, but none that are built to my expectations.
    I am looking for something that keeps the rifle accessible, but protected.

I am looking forward to seeing this thread progress........:cool:

14. Jun 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    kinetik873

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    do what we did in our Hilux's in Afg. Fab a mount to go either side of the rear seat, & secure with rubber clamps, (Maglite holder style) I test fit my MK12 and it fits, snug, but it fits and is pretty low profile too.

15. Jun 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    puddlejumper

puddlejumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Rugged Trail Edition
    Homemade Rear Hi-Clear. Rear Bumper, ARB Front w/Fog Light Option. Superwinch EPi9.0s with Amsteel Blue. Going to make sliders, skids and bed cage/box, I have a camper shell for long range travel. Vision X Tantrum Lights for being a "pimp in the bush", Cobra CB, lots of tools and random junk that helps to add traction due to weight.
    Do you mean to the rear of the front seats? I just went out and "re-looked" at my truck and there is literally less than one inch between the rear seat and the sidewall in my double cab...not enough room for my rifles.. got any pics??

16. Jun 10, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I thought about doing something like this, but after more thought my xd with two mags is plenty for me. Plus getting out to get to the back and get to your rifle isnt exactly quick. Have you considered just cutting out what ever part of the plastic you need to for it to fit and securing it with some brackets or even by looping velcro through the plastic

17. Jun 11, 2010 at 3:45 AM
    rob_s

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    In this case I'm not worried about accessing it quickly, I just want a way to secure the gun in the car when I need to for a variety of reasons. it needs to be out of sight, and lockable.

I'm going to fiddle around with the truck a little bit this weekend and see what's back there.

Anyone have a link to any pics of the area behind the back seats with the plastic removed? I also think I've heard of people removing the plastic seatbacks as well, and pics of that?

18. Jun 11, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    Simms65

Simms65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '16 Quicksand O/R M/T
    I have a Rossi .410/.22LR break open combo that lives in it's bag under the back seats. It does break down into a bag that takes up only a touch more room than a pool queue bag though...

For me it is more of a handy SHTF need to kill a groundhog or put down a deer type of gun. When I visit my parents and Mom says "kill that little bastard that's eating my garden!" I have the equipment to do so. Plus, .22LR is much quieter than my 9mm CCW. :D

19. Jun 11, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    kinetik873

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    Not yet, I'll try to get some this afternoon for you.

20. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    rob_s

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    Something else as well, I'm hoping that if I can come up with a way to lock the seatbacks or install a locking compartment behind them I can secure my laptop back there as well. Again, not all day every day, but if I'm on the way back to the office from a jobsite and stop for lunch it would be nice to be able to secure the computer and have it out of sight as well. Same thing goes for the rifle.

Products Discussed in

To Top