Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Securing a carbine or rifle in the 2nd Gen Taco

Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
rob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
Securing a carbine or rifle in the 2nd Gen Taco

I'm posting this here because I don't think I need to hear solutions from those with trucks dissimilar to mine.

What I'm considering doing is working up a way to secure a carbine behind the rear fold-down seatbacks. Removing the plastic and grinding off the kid retraint hooks, and either figuring out a way to lock the seatbacks in the upright position or having some kind of locking cover fabbed up to secure the area.

Thoughts? Anyone else try anything similar? Any pictures of the plastic stripped out back there, perhaps from a sub install? Any measurements of what I'm looking at in terms of area?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
secure it under the seats in that storage compartment. I keep a SA M6 Scout .22/410 o/u as my emergency rifle there.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
rob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a way to lock that bin? Does anyone know if an AR or similar will fit in the bin?
(obviously I can try the second myself when I get home tonight, just curious if others have any experience with it)
Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It may, with the mag removed, Id look at going to a metal fab shop and having a metal cover made if your serious about securing your weapon. Why do you want a rifle in your truck?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
floridaoccifer's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased a plate specifically made for my M4 and mounted it to the back wall, very secure and access is simple enough (1 key lock)
Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
This isn't a fulltime solution, just a way to secure it when needed from time to time for various reasons.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaoccifer View Post
I purchased a plate specifically made for my M4 and mounted it to the back wall, very secure and access is simple enough (1 key lock)
Remember where you got it, and if you had to grind off the child restraints to use it and/or remove the plastic?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
I found an assembled AR won't fit under the seat without cutting plastic and/or removing the jack. The AR is too tall(measured from flat top to bottom of pistol grip). It's also too thick because of the tranny hump to lay in there; and way too tall with an optic.
FYI: I tried this with a 14.5" M4gery with perm Vortex, SOPMOD stock, DD Omega, and Aimpoint Micro w/ LaRue mount.
If you can mange to fit it, you can try the bed storage mod; which is basically cabinet locks. I don't know how secure it would be under those flimsy plastic covers, though.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
TOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTOYOTA 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TOYOTA 09's Tacoma Gallery
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it illegal to have a CONCEALED longgun in a vehical?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
enjoying the shenanigans
Gunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Conner
Gunshot-6A's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTA 09 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it illegal to have a CONCEALED longgun in a vehical?
state laws vary so research is pretty important in things like this
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Depends.
Define "concealed". What state? Loaded/unloaded? CCW or CHL? etc....

EDIT: Laws will usually read, "it is a defense against prosecution"...Doesn't mean it's a get out of jail free card.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #12
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was hoping we could avoid going down that path, but apparently not.

Suffice it to say that I will ensure that I obey all laws, state and federal.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
puddlejumper will become famous soon enoughpuddlejumper will become famous soon enough
Name: Jeff
puddlejumper's Tacoma Gallery
I was actually looking at that today.... I am thinking about fabricating a rack to mount two rifles on the ceiling above the back seat or making a vertical rack that can mount directly behind the center console on the center of the rear floorboard. There are some commercially made products out there, but none that are built to my expectations.
I am looking for something that keeps the rifle accessible, but protected.

I am looking forward to seeing this thread progress........
Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #14

do what we did in our Hilux's in Afg. Fab a mount to go either side of the rear seat, & secure with rubber clamps, (Maglite holder style) I test fit my MK12 and it fits, snug, but it fits and is pretty low profile too.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
puddlejumper will become famous soon enoughpuddlejumper will become famous soon enough
Name: Jeff
puddlejumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
do what we did in our Hilux's in Afg. Fab a mount to go either side of the rear seat, & secure with rubber clamps, (Maglite holder style) I test fit my MK12 and it fits, snug, but it fits and is pretty low profile too.
Do you mean to the rear of the front seats? I just went out and "re-looked" at my truck and there is literally less than one inch between the rear seat and the sidewall in my double cab...not enough room for my rifles.. got any pics??
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I thought about doing something like this, but after more thought my xd with two mags is plenty for me. Plus getting out to get to the back and get to your rifle isnt exactly quick. Have you considered just cutting out what ever part of the plastic you need to for it to fit and securing it with some brackets or even by looping velcro through the plastic
Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #17
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
In this case I'm not worried about accessing it quickly, I just want a way to secure the gun in the car when I need to for a variety of reasons. it needs to be out of sight, and lockable.

I'm going to fiddle around with the truck a little bit this weekend and see what's back there.

Anyone have a link to any pics of the area behind the back seats with the plastic removed? I also think I've heard of people removing the plastic seatbacks as well, and pics of that?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #18
Simms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Simms65's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Simms65
I have a Rossi .410/.22LR break open combo that lives in it's bag under the back seats. It does break down into a bag that takes up only a touch more room than a pool queue bag though...

For me it is more of a handy SHTF need to kill a groundhog or put down a deer type of gun. When I visit my parents and Mom says "kill that little bastard that's eating my garden!" I have the equipment to do so. Plus, .22LR is much quieter than my 9mm CCW.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
Do you mean to the rear of the front seats? I just went out and "re-looked" at my truck and there is literally less than one inch between the rear seat and the sidewall in my double cab...not enough room for my rifles.. got any pics??
Not yet, I'll try to get some this afternoon for you.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #20
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
Something else as well, I'm hoping that if I can come up with a way to lock the seatbacks or install a locking compartment behind them I can secure my laptop back there as well. Again, not all day every day, but if I'm on the way back to the office from a jobsite and stop for lunch it would be nice to be able to secure the computer and have it out of sight as well. Same thing goes for the rifle.