Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

shutting off truck for better MPG

Old 06-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
BogHootTaco is on a distinguished road
BogHootTaco's Tacoma Gallery
shutting off truck for better MPG

I just read where most newer vehicles use about the same amount of fuel to idle for 7 seconds as they do to start up, and therefore whenever you can coast w/ your vehicle off for more than 7 seconds you save fuel.

Does anyone know what the 4.0 V6 uses for fuel to start/idle, and does anyone actually do this?
Old 06-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
IMO it's never good to shut off your vehicle for two reasons: 1-COOLING of engine and tranny-especially after a hill climb. 2-power assisted steering and brakes stop.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
RCNG FAN is on a distinguished road

RCNG FAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogHootTaco View Post
I just read where most newer vehicles use about the same amount of fuel to idle for 7 seconds as they do to start up, and therefore whenever you can coast w/ your vehicle off for more than 7 seconds you save fuel.

Does anyone know what the 4.0 V6 uses for fuel to start/idle, and does anyone actually do this?

Wouldn't the steering wheel lock if you did that? Could make for a thrilling coast down the hill though!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogHootTaco View Post

Keep in mind that your power brakes/steering shut off too! This is VERY unsafe and I have seen lotsa sites & threads that say intermittantly (sp)coasting on the freeway can save you a ton of money but so can driving 55 or skipping the drive thru or keeping your tires inflated properly. I would rather people steal gas that coast on the freeway and put peoples lives in danger.

*****as chris steps down from his soapbox*****

but to answer your question I don't know how much energy is used at startup/idle....sorry!
Old 06-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
no a/c. bad idea
Old 06-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
Like the others said, its a bad idea because you lose power steering and power brakes.
One thing that would save gas is shutting off the engine while sitting at a red light though.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
The most I have done recently is turning off my engine in a drive-thru (when it is taking a long time) or if I am at a light that I know takes a long time to change.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about

20taco07's Tacoma Gallery
i would never do that to too many reasons already listed above, the only thing i do is shift it into nuetral when im coming to a stop or when im driving downhill, since the engine likes to use the engine to slow the truck down sometimes, i rather pay for brakes than gas these days. and i have an auto so i just push it into n and back to d when i need to go.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in High School, I was with this MORON and some fends. We went to a mountain to check out the city. Anyway, an the way down he noticed he was on "E", so to save fuel he shut the engine off. Ended up he couldnt turn the car, or stop because all the power stuff had no power. We went off the road and crashed the car.

Wow.......to this day I still think the dude is an idiot, just because if what happened.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #11
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Good lord...i'm all about being thrifty but thats just plain stupid!
I could see at a long red light or a drive thru....but while your driving?

That said on downhill or coming up to a red light I will often times take my manual out of gear and just coast in so i'm not turning as many rpms.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20taco07 View Post
i would never do that to too many reasons already listed above, the only thing i do is shift it into nuetral when im coming to a stop or when im driving downhill, since the engine likes to use the engine to slow the truck down sometimes, i rather pay for brakes than gas these days. and i have an auto so i just push it into n and back to d when i need to go.
That made a little sense in older engines, but not with this one. When the ECU decides you are decelerating it shuts the injectors off. Engine braking is essentially "free".
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
If you were coasting down a mountain, the most I would do is put it in neutral.

I've shut my engine down while going about 20 mph, just to see what it felt like. I wanted to be prepared in an emergency. Lack of power steering really stinks. Brakes were fine (not good) for me though.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, I've checked the GPH difference between sitting idle in D and in N. Sitting in D actually uses less GPH.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Turning off a moving truck to save money on gas makes as much sense as pulling out to save money on birth control.... Eventually it's going to cost you much more.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
If you were coasting down a mountain, the most I would do is put it in neutral.

But like I said before-is it a good idea to take it out of gear after a long climb up a mountain and you've built up all that heat? When you take it out of gear the tranny stops spinning-which decreases heat dissipation. And that tranny gets pretty hot on a climb.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
But like I said before-is it a good idea to take it out of gear after a long climb up a mountain and you've built up all that heat? When you take it out of gear the tranny stops spinning-which decreases heat dissipation. And that tranny gets pretty hot on a climb.
Maybe you're right. I don't know if the tranny cooler only operates when the truck is in gear.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #18
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Turning off a moving truck to save money on gas makes as much sense as pulling out to save money on birth control.... Eventually it's going to cost you much more.

LMAO!! Reminds me of a shirt I wanted to get my kids: "Just like George W. daddy didn't know when to pull out"
Old 06-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you're that concerned about gas mileage... perhaps you should leave the truck at home and drive a moped or scooter.

You're better off driving a little less or a little slower - than shutting it off in mid roadway. Totally unsafe. IMO
Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I shut it down if I can`t see the end of a train. But that is it.