Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Cruise Control install for '10 Tacoma?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Cruise Control install for '10 Tacoma?

So i'm getting a Tacoma but the one thing it lacks is cruise control. The dealer said they could put an aftermarket unit on there for about $500 so i was like forget that.

Anyways, i found a write up a few years back for installing the OEM cruise control on a Tacoma. However, that was way back in like '06. Here's my questions:

- Does that writeup work for a new 2010 Tacoma (4 cyl, 5-speed)?
- Where can i order the correct parts?
- If it doesn't work, how can i make it work?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat, same truck. From what I've read here and on Toyotanation, it seems as though it's hit or miss at best, and it may even be impossible to install OEM cruise on our trucks. Check this thread out, and if you do manage to convert yours with success, pass it on!

www.toyotanation.com/forum/t171992.html

Edit: Shit, I think I just gave you the ame link you already posted. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
bumpity bump
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
dang, guess there's been no luck with this one.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
isn't it the same cc that's been on toyota's for years?? i installed one in a toyota recently for about $60. it was very simple... i take it you haven't found any info on the internet?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/2009tacoma.pdf

here is it i believe...
Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Sheesh, that looks much more complicated than the writeup i found. Granted it may have to be done if mine doesn't come prewired. Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Krusey1011 is on a distinguished road

Marines: Ordnance
Name: Kyle
Krusey1011's Tacoma Gallery
My cruise control just popped iteslf apart. noticed it at 36,300 miles (Just after the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty). BS! It's like it was set on a timer. Toyota wants $99 just to look at it. Forget that! It looks like it just popped out at the end. all the peices seem to be there. I cant really seem to find out how it's put together. Looking now I don't use it to often but I use it. Definitely want it back.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
10taco is on a distinguished road
Army: C Co 1/75 Ranger '87-'89
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Intermittant wipers was the easiest mod yet on my '10 Tacoma 4x4...

I bought mine online for a little over $100. It was in and working in less than 15 minutes. Found all that I needed (including the correct part number and instructions) on this site & T-nation. IIRC there are two different versions of this 'stalk' and one will make the delay(s) run backwards from the indicated setting; I'm not able to research it right now but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
demnemisis is on a distinguished road
demnemisis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10taco View Post
I bought mine online for a little over $100. It was in and working in less than 15 minutes. Found all that I needed (including the correct part number and instructions) on this site & T-nation. IIRC there are two different versions of this 'stalk' and one will make the delay(s) run backwards from the indicated setting; I'm not able to research it right now but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Good luck!

Worked perfectly on mine in less than 15 minutes
Old 12-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
msr237 is on a distinguished road
msr237's Tacoma Gallery
Just successfully installed cruise in my 2010 Tacoma Reg Cab Manual transmission, 4 cyl (work truck, not the SR5). I had done the install on an '08 in the past, but that's when they were prewired - it was a piece of cake. My '10 was not prewired with anything, but I purchased the kit along with the clutch switch from thecruisecontrolstore.com, closely followed the instructions and it works! It was a little more invasive than I was comfortable with (it being a brand-new truck), but I was just very careful with the instructions and all went well. I won't say it's easy, but if you're somewhat handy and can follow instructions, you can do it.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
Kilo Sierra is on a distinguished road
Kilo Sierra's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats...

I am considering the same product, and your info makes me feel a bit more comfortable.

Could you show a picture of how the finished install looks. I am interested in the trimming required for the stalk. Did their template provide the correct location and size?

Additionally, does your dash icon light up when you use the cc?

Thanks for your time.

ks
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
msr237- this is good news! I read the instructions, and I like how everything is there for you, including the correct pin-outs. I would also like to know if the dash lights operate correctly, please let us know.

Also, when I go to check out, it charges me +$35 if I choose the manual trans option. Is this for the clutch switch? Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
j31driver is on a distinguished road
Army: F.I.S.T.
Name: chris
j31driver's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the extra charge is for the clutch switch and wires for the switch. I went this route on my 09 3 months ago and it works perfect. The dash light does come on as well.It took me 2 hours but I took my time and double checked every thing. Well worth it.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #16
msr237 is on a distinguished road
msr237's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't use their instructions for trimming the steering wheel cover. I had purchased the cover from the link in the original post. The stalk from the Rostra kit (the one I bought from thecruisecontrolstore.com) is OEM as well - very nice. I can send you a pic if you want, but it looks totally OEM. Yes, the dash light works as well. I was pretty discouraged after reading alot of posts saying that cruise most likely wasn't possible on these trucks, so I'm sure you can understand how stoked I was when I pushed that button and saw the light come on! Then took it for a spin and all worked!!!
Yes, the $35 is for the clutch switch and associated wiring. It's a good kit. The instructions are not the greatest for tearing apart the vehicle, but the pinout information was spot-on. The instructions I received said '09 at the top, but the pinouts were the same in my '10. Had a great trip to work this morning with my new cc!!!!
I'm happy to help any way I can - let me know if you have any questions.
(by the way, I'm a chick with no automotive electronics know-how, I'm just very determined and smart enough to carefully follow instructions when it comes to messing with my brand-new truck
Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Kilo Sierra is on a distinguished road
Kilo Sierra's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you....Nicely done.

You have given me all the info I need.

I am on the verge of buying a similar truck...Just in the process of arm wrestling about what I get for my trade.

Also, many Kudo's for getting in there and getting this accomplished.

ks
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #18
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Looking like $134 w/o shipping from toyotapartscheap.com w/o screws, w/ clutch switch.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
R.O.U.S.
Success

I wanted to let everyone know that I have had this kit installed in my truck for 8 months or so now, and it works flawlessly. Install took about 3 hours, was easy (good instructions). I couldn't be happier with this kit!

All the lights work, and everything does what it should.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
Worked great on my 08. $123.00 for everything and works perfectly!!