1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing/pulling attachment options. Theory, input please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SportyTuRD, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jun 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The axle is held to the frame by suspension. Drive shaft is attached to axle and engine. The driveshaft cannot handle any pulling because of slip yoke. All pulling force from being tied on the axle would be transferred to the frame via suspension.

2. Jun 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    SplitDecision

SplitDecision Phones Ringin Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Haywood Jablowme
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100x4, Truxedo lo pro QT,Hid Retro,2011 painted grill,Alpine head unit,Foglight mod,NFAB steps
    What I mean by that statement is that I don't think the U-bolts are designed to hold that much force by themselves. Bear with me and my HS education.:D I can say however that I wouldn't hook anything to my axle and go yanking on it without expecting catastrophic failure.

3. Jun 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Never use a chain to pull someone unstuck. It's dangerous... Get yourself a good quality tow strap.

4. Jun 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The driveshaft cannot transfer any pulling force to the engine. There is a slip joint. If you lose the aft u-joint, the driveshaft can be removed at the slip joint.
    The rear axle is retained by the suspension. All forces acting on the rear axle are transferred to the frame via leaf springs. Ie. Axle twisting due to torque is transferred to the springs. It gives you a nasty, axle-breaking wheel hop.
    I'm no ME either, just a hired wrench. Athough, I did go to school to learn my 1 2 3's and my SAE's ;)

5. Jun 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Hooking up to the differential is a quik and easy way to get it out of the mud.

How one goes about recovering the rest of the vehicle that will be left in the mud becomes the issue...

6. Jun 10, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    Johnny M50

Johnny M50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma, V6 Sport 4x4,debadged, Super White
    K&N "warm" air intake
    Common sense, use the part designed for pulling, the Receiver Hitch.

7. Jun 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    Pyrite FD

Pyrite FD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road
    If you are pulling something with your truck , the rear axle does the actual work. The tires moving. Hooking to the axle would cause 0 stress on suspension frame or body. That idea is correct. (I think people are failing to realise if you hook up to your axle, your axle pulls not the truck, there would be no tension on the driveshaft or leafs added by this)

In 4WD your theory fails, as the front axle does work also and any slippage in the rear would translate from the front axle through components eventually to the rear.

Having your truck pulled by the rear axle, hopefully should be an obvious fail in theory. Your axle does no work and for the most part become a tow hook, except its an unstable one as your suspension will come in to play. When thinking recovery, the best option is to tie into whatever has the most solid mass, which is obviously the frame.

In theory, towing with the rear axle is less stress. A reciever has to go through the frame, through the suspension components, then to the axle with the wheels turning. The advantage of a hitch though that its more distributed between both the axle as well as directly anchored into the majority of the mass of the truck...so a bit of a tradeoff. Momemtum would most definately have an impact on driving, and it would not be fun IMO over 15.

Directly to the axle eliminates such. However, it is pretty impractical and cant imagine how dumb looking it would be trying to rig up an extra long tongue to hook up to your axle.

I was ME major for a couple years and switched majors. These are some major flaws. Momentum and mass...the basic principles.... does your friend work for BP? lol jk

8. Jun 10, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    you wouldnt have any stress on the frame,

but you would probably snap your axle in two

unless you had a cover plate which would be ripped right off

9. Jun 10, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
  10. Jun 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    When i was a little younger I pulled an F150 out of a ditch with a tractor and a chain. Ended up bending the rear axel. The next weekend we were replacing it.

11. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    SportyTuRD

SportyTuRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    lol not BP...Yes i am not talking about pulling a stuck truck by its axel...
    I am saying that if you hook to the rear diff pumpkin in a secure centered manner...In theory you should have no problems...The axel and rear drivetrain basically is "pushing" all component of the truck...

SO therefore the theory being it would ideally work when using chains or rope liek methods...a solid tounge woudln't work...

You shouldn't snap the diff housing (which is what i am technically refering to)...It is made of some of the strongest materials on a vehicle...

yes but i am more referring to the diff housings and not really tlakign about getting pulled out, More so of doing the pulling...You try to do it way out by the wheel yes you go trouble and angular tension will bend shit....

12. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    SportyTuRD

SportyTuRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    your rear is what drives everything else?? What would pull the rear out from under?

13. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    You have forgotten the inertia of the tow vehicle in the equation. Force from inertia will pull the axle via suspension. A center pull on axle=bent axle housing. Do the math. Speed x mass(right?)=total kinetic energy. Even if you do a 1MPH pull on a vehicle, it's an awful amout of work to ask of a little axle.
    The inertia of the tow vehicle pull on the outsides of the axle, and the inertia of the towed vehicle pull on the center of the axle. You're going to deform or break it

14. Jun 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Except there is this engine at the end of the propeller shaft straining mightily to twist it. It has to react against something: the motor mounts, transferring it back into the frame and then to the ground through the suspension and tires.

Of course, what that all means from a mechanical systems approach I've no idea....

Which brings on the question...why would you want to change the attach point for the tow anyway? Is there something wrong with it the way it is?

Products Discussed in

To Top