Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

NGK's and Denso's in the same 1GR-FE

Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
it4dps is on a distinguished road
Name: Vince
it4dps's Tacoma Gallery
NGK's and Denso's in the same 1GR-FE

I have an 06 double cab with a 4.0 liter, which I bought new. It was time to change the spark plugs, so I went out and got 6 Denso K20HR-U11's which were supposed to be exact OEM replacements. This morning I changed the plugs and to my astonishment I found 3 NGK LFR6C-11's in the driver's side of the engine and 3 Denso K20HR-U11's in the passenger's side. (..just like what I bought..) I haven't ever changed the plugs, and I'm the only person who has ever taken a wrench to this truck. This had to have come from the factory or the dealer before I took delivery of it new back in 2006.

First Question - Was this done for a reason? If so, should I go get 3 NGK's and put them in the driver's side of the motor?

Second Question - Is this just a screw up at the factory? If so, this sounds more like something that you would see in a GM or Chrysler, but not a Toyota. (..I sure hope Toyota isn't catching "GM Disease"..)

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Thanks for any info & Have a Great Day!

Vince
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Normal. There is a reason for it I just don't know what.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
it4dps's Tacoma Gallery
So should I change the driver's side back to NGK's?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by it4dps View Post
So should I change the driver's side back to NGK's?
No. Put the 6 Densos in and you will be fine.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
No. Put the 6 Densos in and you will be fine.
x2
Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
it4dps's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have any idea what's behind this?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone have any idea what's behind this?
I have theory on this, but it involves the upper most higher ups of the top secret part of our government.
Very scary stuff. lol
Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
I have theory on this, but it involves the upper most higher ups of the top secret part of our government.
Very scary stuff. lol
Something to do with that ancient race that you can only visit through a stargate right? Thought so.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
NGK and Denso got in a fight to see who would supply the plugs for the V6 Tacoma. It was a draw.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Something to do with that ancient race that you can only visit through a stargate right? Thought so.
no its the star ship enterprises flux capacitor they control this
Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Actually I do have a real theory on this, when I was looking around on the ttora site that had our trucks explosion manuals on.
I noticed that they listed 2 alternators, one was made by Denso and the other made by NGK. Or at least it looked like the manual said they were made by those companies.

As to why they decided to have mix plugs and the exact reason why, I don't know. Maybe they have both companies make parts for their cars and trucks. And maybe Toyota felt it was best to split it. Instead of going with just one company, which may involve a company leaving?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
To confuse us and cause confused threads like this one.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
it4dps's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I should have phrased my question a little better..

Does anyone have any constructive idea what might be behind this?

Usually Toyota does things for a a reason. I can't believe that they would send a vehicle out of the factory with 2 different spark plus unless they did it for a reason. NGK's tend to run hotter than Denso's, and I curious why they put different plugs in different places on the motor.

Thanks for any serious replies...
Old 06-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
I guess I should have phrased my question a little better..

Does anyone have any constructive idea what might be behind this?

Usually Toyota does things for a a reason. I can't believe that they would send a vehicle out of the factory with 2 different spark plus unless they did it for a reason. NGK's tend to run hotter than Denso's, and I curious why they put different plugs in different places on the motor.

Thanks for any serious replies...
You didn't think my last post was serious?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Banned
Someone posted some info on it but I don't remember the exact details. Something about the passegner cylinder head running slightly hotter or something that. You will be fine with NGK or Denso all around.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
My dad's a retired Toyota mechanic and he told me once that Toyota did this in all their V6's (all models) for just about forever (at least going back to the early '90's). He was told that it was Toyota's way of guaranteeing to be fair to each of the two suppliers.

Think of it this way, one can't argue that the other company's plugs were put in more engines.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #18
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Normal (but weird). This was the case for the previous generation 3.4L V6 as well.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #20
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on swaping sides with my plugs. H.P. and M.P.G. go up a bunch!!!!

Then go 2 NGKs and a Denso on one side then 2 Densos and one NGK on the other.

Lot's of possibilitys.