1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 cyl question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lIlOtAcO, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    lIlOtAcO

lIlOtAcO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Jax, FL.
    Vehicle:
    2010 S/C PreRunner SR5
    Brand FlippiN New
    Ok so Im getting a strange rattle/chop sound when my A/C comp cycles on. Its coming from the front of the tranny. When the a/c comp kicks on it starts, but if i hold the clutch in while it doing it it goes away. And this only happens with the a/c on and in the neutral position.

Took it to the delaership as I only have 900 miles and they said all check out good and this is norml for the single cab prerunner 4 cyl.

WTF????? lol anyone else having this sound? is it normal?

2. Jun 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    lIlOtAcO

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Jax, FL.
    Vehicle:
    2010 S/C PreRunner SR5
    Brand FlippiN New
    and yes I have used the search, just wanted to see if anyone had a outcome on it yet.

3. Jun 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    zuter

zuter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    2nd filter, undercover, debaged, bug deflector, more to follow!
    Nope. Can't say I've heard anything from my AC. Most times I don't realize that I've turned it on (by mistake) until cold air blows. It may be that the pump or belt isn't corretly adjusted or you have a loose plate on the tranny.

Have someone cycle the AC while your outside the truck to find out what is making the sound.

4. Jun 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    lIlOtAcO

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Jax, FL.
    Vehicle:
    2010 S/C PreRunner SR5
    Brand FlippiN New
    LOL, umm yeah tried that and as in the post took it in the Toyo dealership. Just a common problem with most I guess.

5. Jun 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    super cab Im guessing

but would be sweet if it was supercharged

6. Jun 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Mine does the same thing, and I've noticed it on other vehicles I've had. No big deal.

7. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    lIlOtAcO

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Jax, FL.
    Vehicle:
    2010 S/C PreRunner SR5
    Brand FlippiN New
    shit i wish lol

8. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    there is a lengthy thread on this. tried to search too but couldnt find it, forgot what it was called...

9. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    My A/C makes noise sometimes when it first engages. It only does it when it on the first engagement after the truck has been sitting for a while. Not sure if it's the A/C clutch itself or the actual compressor. It's not the belt as that's been replaced. It's been doing it for over a year. I think I'll just wait until it stops working, but if you're under warranty I'd let them keep it overnight so it has plenty of time to cool off. Then tell them to wait until you're there in the morning to start it up and turn on the A/C. I haven't noticed it having anything to do with the transmission being in neutral, but maybe we have different issues.

10. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-runner SR5 2.7L
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    I have a reg cab pre runner. When I run a/c I have the same noise. Turn the a/c off and noise goes away. Only hear it at idle. I've also heard this same thing on a buddies reg cab pre runner, I figured it was normal, I have 75k on mine.

11. Jun 11, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    My 05 does the same thing LOL a passenger once asked If I had a diesel engine. hahahaha

12. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    lIlOtAcO

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Jax, FL.
    Vehicle:
    2010 S/C PreRunner SR5
    Brand FlippiN New
    hmm just annoys the hell out of me. Mine is a 2010 Pre runner. With 950 miles on it.

13. Jun 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Open the hood and place your A/C blower on the low setting wait till the A/C cycles off then wait till it cycles back on. You need to watch the A/C clutch. My guess your A/C clutch has too much air gap and is chirping. If the dealer said its fine then I would recommend finding another dealer.

Products Discussed in

To Top