Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Good deal? What should I offer?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
andrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the rough
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal? What should I offer?

Found this 05 ( 4x4 access cab, sport package ) the other day listed for 18,950 at the dealership (no warranty except power train to 60k or September this year). Has 52000 miles. Looked at it, drove it, incredibly clean inside and the body looks great as well.

KBB lists this as 19,350 (excellent condition). Edmunds says 17,219 (dealer retail).

What should I offer for this truck? 17k?

I should mention there's a trade involved. I asked this same dealer what my truck is worth and they'll give me 14k for my truck (08, 4x2, access cab) which is kbb value.

So really I'm just looking for advice on what I should offer for this and whether this truck is a good investment. Thanks guys!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
So, you're going from an 08 to an 05???? Seems like a downgrade to me.
Why not look for something newer, or even another 08 with 4x4?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
That make no sense. How can your truck be worth that much less.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
andrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the rough
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
So, you're going from an 08 to an 05???? Seems like a downgrade to me.
Why not look for something newer, or even another 08 with 4x4?
Well my 08 4x2 doesn't have the sport package, so really I'm getting more with this truck then with my current truck. I don't want to pay a ton for a newer truck and this truck has pretty low miles.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Dealer making money both ways.
4x4 vs 4x2 also.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Just telling you what KBB says, $14000. It's just the base model.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Just telling you what KBB says, $14000. It's just the base model.
I assume that's the trade in value.
I keep looking to trade my 2002 base reg cab for a 2010 base reg cab but $16k new less $4k trade in keeps getting in the way.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I assume that's the trade in value.
I keep looking to trade my 2002 base reg cab for a 2010 base reg cab but $16k new less $4k trade in keeps getting in the way.

Yea that's trade in. Ok maybe I should be more clear...

All I want to know

a) is this a good buy, this 05 with this many miles, etc?? Anything particular I need to pay attention to?

AND

b) how much should I offer below kbb? Or, where should I start with my offer?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Money talks......Slap a couple grand on the table, then make your " lowball" offer. I would say with just the trade down, you may get them at 17800 ish. Is this a TRD sport? or just a SR5?

Make sure you do some homework on the truck, Look at the frame and stuff, see how much rust there is, look for any off roading marks, denst underneath. Check for any leaks while under there.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
dee_bo is on a distinguished road
dee_bo's Tacoma Gallery
I for one don't like to go back and forth....come up with a price you think it's worth and just offer that. Don't mention the trade in initially...get the price set. Maybe offer $17,500 or 18K out the door. Then tell em you want to trade something in.

Of course they will probably say no....then you walk and they'll call you in 24-48 hours. Of course you gotta be willing to let it go and maybe not get it if they play hard ball
Old 06-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
Money talks......Slap a couple grand on the table, then make your " lowball" offer. I would say with just the trade down, you may get them at 17800 ish. Is this a TRD sport? or just a SR5?

Make sure you do some homework on the truck, Look at the frame and stuff, see how much rust there is, look for any off roading marks, denst underneath. Check for any leaks while under there.
TRD Sport. I looked at the Carfax on this truck...everything looks great, one owner, even did a undercoat protection on the truck when it was bought. I've driven it twice...there were a few little things I asked him to look into and he said he'd have the shop give me some answers, but at the same time he wanted me to make an offer.

I offered 17,000 he came back at 18,200. I left pretty much after that. I'll probably go back in and make a counter offer eventually...just hope this one doesn't get away from me.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
watch out for the interest rate. they jack that up on u, no matter ur credit, & get the same price that it sold for new, with interest & altogether, or real close! on ur counter offer, ild offer 17,500, no more, walk away if they wont commit to that price. have patience & u will get what u want.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
Bretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bret
Bretsuaz48's Tacoma Gallery
Its hard to get any great deals on these trucks since they are in such demand. Sounds like you really like the truck and really want it. If its the one you want, I wouldn't let it go over a few hundred bucks. I would tell them you will meet them in the middle, and split the difference.

Let us know what happens.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
GunMetalSteak is on a distinguished road
GunMetalSteak's Tacoma Gallery
i would much rather have a newer truck with less of a package than an older truck, who knows what it has been through.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
hwysrfr is on a distinguished road

Marines: Radioman/F.O.
Name: Dennis
hwysrfr's Tacoma Gallery
I got my '08 Sport with 16,000 miles for 19,000, that sounds way too high for an '05!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwysrfr View Post
I got my '08 Sport with 16,000 miles for 19,000, that sounds way too high for an '05!
and that's a 4x4?? That seems way cheap. I did my research and they're offering about right at kbb/edmunds said it's worth.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
I would definitely try to sell yours first privately vs trade in. Don't give the dealer leverage by lowballing your truck and over pricing the other one. The '05 seems overpriced for an access cab or even a DC. I would think that truck should be in the 16K range. Do agree that you are trading down just for a 4x4.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Don't trade an '08 for an '05. . .
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
I would definitely try to sell yours first privately vs trade in. Don't give the dealer leverage by lowballing your truck and over pricing the other one. The '05 seems overpriced for an access cab or even a DC. I would think that truck should be in the 16K range. Do agree that you are trading down just for a 4x4.

If I did that I'd have to pay sales tax on that entire amount for the next truck I bought outright, as opposed to just paying the difference. I don't understand where the whole "It's only worth about 16" is coming from...I'm just going off of about what kbb and edmunds tells me.

Either way I think I'm just going to offer 17,500 and walk away. I appreciate everyone's insight.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Hope you get for 17K. I am just saying you may find it cheaper by checking around , example:

2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD off road. Towing package Asses cab silver. 6 Gear in good condition. keller tx. 90k has all maintence.. Asking price 15700 serious inquire only.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests