1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

General disappointment with All Pro front plate bumper quality

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Jun 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Never...but I wear shorts about 80% of the year. And the wife wears skirts ALOT.:D

2. Jun 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    People are constantly hitting and bouncing themselves on my sliders. I just used rustoleum hammered finish which I regret. But In your case the bedliner might jack you guys up. Mine jacks people up and its not rough.

3. Jun 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Definitely need to let All Pro know about it. For all you know, they have no clue there is a problem and can't fix something they are unaware of.

4. Jun 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

fify-;)

5. Jun 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    :laugh:

Not in the crazy driver sense. But the sense that people are entering and exiting my truck. :cool:

6. Jun 13, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    The reason why I haven't called All Pro is that they don't send literature with the bumper stating there is a warranty or anything. The last thing I want is to expect something that I didn't pay for (including a warranty, although that would have been nice). I don't want to use the internet to brow beat AP into paying for something as I feel that's poor form. I'd rather take it upon myself to fix the issue and let others know of my situation.

The AP products should speak for themselves. Should everyone who buys a bumper expect AP to "fix" an issue like this? If so, for how long should that expectation be allowable? I'm at 10 months and just noticed things, but it's obviously been getting really bad for several months now and I just haven't washed my truck and noticed it.

I can't imagine how super expensive it would be to pay for shipping both ways, stripping and reapplying the powder coat. Also that would be a expensive for the people who didn't do the labor and swap out parts themselves. I don't even have boxes to ship the parts in.

I've read posts from several other people who've had the same problem and just wanted to let people know that the quality is really sub-par and I'm disappointed. I gladly would have spent another $100 for something that would last 5 years.

I'm now in a situation where I'm going to have to remove the AP bumper and I CANNOT reinstall the factory bumper because my tires would rip it off of the vehicle. I'll have to rent a small car for a few days (maybe I can get lucky and have the wife take me to/from work) while the parts are being fixed. Then there's the cost out of pocket for the work... my time... this is just a big pain in the rear...

Again, I'm not looking to get AP to chime in here. If they offered a 1 year warranty I would have 100% for sure called them, emailed photos, etc... but that's not the case. I just want to set an expectation for others that if they too buy an AP bumper, this very well could be what they have to look forward to.

7. Jun 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I vote we are even now- Truce?:D

8. Jun 13, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Hmmmm Ok deal. lol

9. Jun 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    Sorry to hear about your powdercoating, but wish you would have contacted us first before assuming we wouldn't do anything!

Unfortunately our manufacturer got some bad chemicals that are used to treat the steel before the powdercoating process, and the bad pre-treatment caused the coating not to adhere properly. We have since worked with them to improve the powdercoating on our products. They are now double coated with a primer under a slight textured finish which is more durable.

For those unfortunate few that got bad coatings, our manufacturer is offering a $200 refund up to 2 years after the purchase date. You'll need to email me pictures of your truck with our bumper installed, as well as close-ups of the affected areas, and your contact info. I will submit it to them for approval, then if approved, we will send you a check. This process can take about a month.

Again, it is only the finish on some bumpers that have been affected, the bumpers themselves are not defective, and since we have changed the powdercoating we have not had any problems whatsoever.

10. Jun 13, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ^^hmmm...may need to test this out when i get back home. i've got it peeling from around the winch mount holes(no winch) and from the lips under the bottom and neither have taken hits in those locations. i peeled back the top one thats dead center on the bumper and sprayed w/ rustoleum. think this would take away from a refund?

11. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    well, there you go. LOL. They fixed it [if you get approved].

All Pro redeems themselves once again. :woot:

12. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    What's the date when you guys started to double coat the primer? I was in on the recent GB, did I get one that was double primed?

Thanks AP

13. Jun 14, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    WOW. I am somewhat speachless. Part of me feels bad for AP because I hate it when people manipulate companies by being internet jerks... Never would have thought there was a case of "bad coatings". I'll definitely make right by this post if that's the case and will send photos soon!

AP redeems themselves... and I now question whether I handled this correctly... live and learn. My apologies to AP!

14. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    Yes you got one with the new coating. All the ones with the slight wrinkle finish also have the primer.

I just wanted to set the record straight because I'm afraid threads like this can hurt sales even though we've remedied the problem with the powdercoating.

We are not in the powdercoating business, so we have to rely on other companies to provide this service. But fortunately, we have a long standing relationship with vendor, and they've stepped up to provide this credit.

The "bad coatings" are often exposed further in wet climates, and being in So Cal, we don't experience the same elements. The bottom line is we don't knowingly sell crap - even if it is just the finish! If anyone has a problem, please contact us directly so we can help you!

15. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    AP 1+ for you guys
    good work on Customer Service

16. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Thanks AP. Despite all of the recent negative threads about you guys, not once did I ever think that your knowingly sold crap products. In every single case you have remedied the problem and have proven excellent customer service. Keep up the good work.

17. Jun 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Where should I send the photos? Please PM me with the details.
    Thanks!

Edited: I sent the photos to you via 2 separate PM's. Please let me know what to do next and as I said above and in the PM, I had no idea there was a bad batch and thought this was just how the product held up. Thanks again for helping out.

18. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, OR
    OME 3in Lift, LR UCA's, 33in DuraTracs, All-Pro Full Skids, TRD CAI & Cat Back, 16x8 KMC Enduros
    AllPro,

Does this include skids as well. My IFS has the exact same issues.

19. Jun 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    We haven't heard of any issues with the IFS skids, different powdercoater in fact, but you can email me a picture and your order info and I can see what we can do.

20. Jun 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    SO DOES MINE! It's worse than the bumper. I'm so frustrated with all that I'm going to have to do to "fix" this problem that I'm just beside myself.

find a place to strip and re-powdercoat the bumper (and IFS skid plate)
    remove bumper
    dismantle it
    drop the parts off
    have no truck to drive for ????
    pick the parts up and hope it all comes out to under $200
    reassemble everything
    reinstall the bumper and skid plate

All on my own time! I see this being a perfect waste of a 2 Saturdays and a week w/o my truck. It just sucks!!! :(

Products Discussed in

To Top