1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sliders - What should I paint / line them with?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JasoTaco, Jun 15, 2010.

?

Sliders - What should I paint / line them with?

1. Line-X

90 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Rhino Lining

23 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Ruberized Undercoat

16 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Black spray paint

91 vote(s)
    31.5%
  5. DIY aerosol bed liner

43 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. Other - Please specifiy

26 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Jun 21, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not pull out a $7 bottle of bed liner and have to do that less often?

2. Jun 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I forgot to mention that when I was at the Line-X shop the guy giving me the quote showed me a truck bed that had been sprayed about 8 months ago and it had a couple pretty nasty scratches in it. I asked him about it and he just shrugged it off and said he wasn't sure what the owner had been hauling in the bed. I only bring this up because I seen a lot of Rhino lined bed but have never seen them scratch like the Line-X bed and for for more than twice the cost of Rhino I don't think I'll ever bother with Line-X

3. Jul 11, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Since you're not planning to use them that much, a roll-on bed liner should be sufficient. I painted mine with rustoleum, but I'm not sure it'll hold up.

4. Jul 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    go with the spray paint...cheap easy repairs
    i have my sliders done with satan black spray paint and 6 months laters holding up well and you can make them like new anytime you want
    when ever you drag anything across them they will scratch no matter what u have on them so why not go the cheap route

5. Jul 11, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    how good is that spray on bedliner from walmart? i have nfabs that are glossy black and i'd love to give them the bedliner look instead...just curious if it would hold up at all...plus those suckers are slippery as hell in the rain...

6. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    CalgaryRider

CalgaryRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    2009 Tacoma SR5 Too many to list, but its a SR5 with a TRD Sport Heart
    I got a pair of used sliders that were powdercoated and they were starting to chip and rust, so I sanded them down, prepped them and then spray bombed them with bed liner, added grip tape and they are holding up great! went and played in the rocks this weekend and just a few minor scratches, so really happy with they way they are holding up.

P6110003_fc1adefadcdb52bd06bf3e5a16c7c26e615ad0ea.jpg

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    wolfeye

wolfeye Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am really impressed with the wrinkle powder coat on my demello sliders

8. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    doesnt make sense to put anything on them but some rustoleum textured black paint or any other spray paint. your just going to scrape them up and its better to have a cheap can of spray paint in the pack of your truck to touch it up with when your done for the day and walk away.

anything more expensive than that is just not worth it.

9. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
  10. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Thanks for the detailed pics and review. Do you need to prime it with the rustoleum bedliner?

11. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
  12. Oct 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Nice choice on the Truck bed coating it looks good I'm going that route with my sliders and both bumpers when i get them. I also like the grip tape idea that Krookz has on his that's all i need is my girl slipping on the sliders after a long day of boarding.

13. Oct 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I really like the grip tape idea as well but I think you will be very surprised how abrasive that spray on Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating is. The sliders are not slippery at all.

14. Oct 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

Alright I'll keep that in mind

15. Oct 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I had some minor chips but they have been easily fixed with a quick shot with the spray can. The big take away I got from everybody's post in this thread is when painting a slider whatever option you choose make sure it's repairable; what's easier than a spray can.

Now with that said if I were painting a bumper I would definitely consider another option.

16. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

That don't look to bad for taking it off road I'm sure the paint your using is going to chip sooner or later now how hard is that going to be to fix? i think I'm just going to stick with the Rustolieum bed liner on the sliders I'm still debating if i want to power coat the bumpers or not.

17. Nov 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    Hibby

Hibby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2008 Trd Sport 4x4
    tires, shocks and a sticker!
    I need to get me some of that i bet it's tougher than nails. :) Seriously though when I get my sliders next month I'm going with the spray paint method!

18. Nov 25, 2010 at 1:07 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    YOur big problem would be doing 3 coats of primer. Primer is not a multi coat product, unless you're using an HB primer.. even then, you should be sanding most of it off.

You've got 2 things to think about when you're doing these things. I've already thought of them and know the answer.. but people choose the wrong one.. so here's the choices.

You hit it with some krylon and it's easy to fix. Paint the whole thing in 15 minutes including cleaning and masking.

Paint it with linex and you're out a chunk of cash and.. you can't re-do it.

See, its a trade off. If its not a trailer queen you will damage the finish on the sliders or at least should, that's what they're for. No finish made will stand up to a rock with 2500 lbs scraping across it.

They're never going to rust significantly...
    So, choose the finish that will take the least amount of damage from sliding (won't take the rest of the finish with it) and can be repaired anywhere for a few dollars to like new condition.

Oh.. I just realized this is an old thread that got revived.. but I'm already typed ....

19. Nov 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM
    boonduff

boonduff Proud American

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordie
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OFFROAD
    Bone stock brand new
    The rustoleum looks great. What brand are those sliders? I like how they kick out at the back.

20. Nov 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top