1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: squeaky leaf fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beachbumberry, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    soaked my leafs in whtie lithium grease - so far it has held up with minimal noise, i cant hear them white im driving anymore lol and i have the TSB AAL's - they do NOT make it not squeak

2. Sep 13, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    Tunafish76

Tunafish76 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5
    3" lift 33" BFG's K&N Cold Air Intake Camper Shell
    Hey,
    To expand on the information already listed.... Using a rubber Bungie Cord in 6 inch lengths provides a much heavier means of prevention while also giving a small lift to the in the rear in of the truck (depends on the number of bungies added. Buy a value pack and use the cut 6 inch lengths in pairs between each leaf (or cut to preference, it is really to cover the contact areas of the leafs). The bungies will slide in once weight is removed from the leaf packs. Some force may be requires though..

3. Sep 15, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    Tacomaportlandme

Tacomaportlandme New Member

Member:
    Portland, Maine
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I reported the annoying problem of squeaky leafs to my respective Toyota dealer over 6 months ago. I was informed Toyota would be sending out a recall to owners affected by this defect and to wait for this rather than attempt any repair at this time. I questioned the safety of the vehicle to the service manager and he stated the vehicle was indeed safe to drive. The squeak has progressed to a level beyond an annoyance. I'm certain as I drive by other vehicle owners at intersections and stop lights, the "Toyota squeak" provides great advertisement for Toyota. I can't even count the number of Tacoma's I have whitnessed displaying the same annoying squeak! I'm very surprised Toyota, a very technologically advanced company, has yet to figure out how to repair this problem? I can assure Toyota, I am not a happy customer and will never own another Toyota product again.

4. Sep 16, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    The dealer is lying to you. I have a 2nd generation Tacoma from 05. The 1st year made. I made an inquiry at 45K in 2008 w/the dealer. They know what the problem is. In fact they are on they're 3rd (if not more) resolution for the problem now & will gladly sell you the parts and fix the problem. I just purchased the 4 pack of 1/4 rubber pads ($40) to go between the springs, yet to install.

You have to demand that they fix it before 3yr/36K or your sh*t out of luck. You'll have to buy the parts and fix yourself but the latest version is the easiest and best way in my opinion; not very costly if you do it yourself. Read my detailed write up under my forum name if you like.

I would not discount Toyota vehicles overall. They are still superior compared to other brand names in quality, longevity and resale. Some service departments tend to be lazy and not want to do an ounce of research when they are probably making a bonus whether you or Toyota pays for the fix.

NOTE: They also don't report even the most serious problems back to the manufacturer.

I reported the sticking gas pedal 3 times to my local dealership only to find out (& figure the problem out myself); unfortunately a family had died in a high speed crash from the problem and others as well in the interim. If I knew they were NOT going to report the problem to the manufacturer which should be they're responsibility, I would have done it myself. Best of luck!

5. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    amack8024

amack8024 Active Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2012 T/X Baja
    just bought my first tacoma a week ago today. Noticed the squeak before i bought it and they greased it for me. just did the fix this afternoon because the noise came back in less than a week. i cut strips from a 1in heavy duty hose from a golf course. i smiled the whole way home because i didnt hear the noise on speed bumps, and getting in and out of the truck. easy fix with great results.

6. Sep 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    ffdawson

ffdawson Dirt Head

Member:
    Penngrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Rugged Trail 6spd
    Kings, Armor, big taaaarrrs
    yesterday... squeaking like a mattress in a whorehouse...

today... 2 slices of innertube, some wd-40 and a bit of grease...aaaaaannnd!

Ninja stealth mode!

love it.

7. Sep 26, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    ironically enough i have noticed that mine have suddenly stopped squeaking all together, idk how or why it happened but glad it did!

8. Sep 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    It squeaks when you get dust and crap between the leaf packs. If you get it out it usually helps.

9. Sep 28, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    Black Rock Taco

Black Rock Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnemucca and Reno, NV, Oakland CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DBL Cab Tundra
    None, yet
    Finally did the inner tube fix, with no change in my horrendous squeak.
    So I did a little "screwdriver stethoscope" work, and determined it was NOT Toyota's springs, but my Toytec Add-A-Leaf. Couldn't pry them apart to put something in there, but some dry lube teflon-wax spray took care of it for the time being. It will probably require taking the wheel off to do a better job.

10. Sep 29, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    Tunafish76

Tunafish76 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5
    3" lift 33" BFG's K&N Cold Air Intake Camper Shell

It is the toyota leaf pack, it is a well known fact. See the extensive thread on it, Toyota TSB, etc. The add a leaf could be aiding or adding to the problem though.. --> I am running an add a lead as well, and have dealt with this sound for years. Just prevent the metal from rubbing w/ a spacer of your choice (bike tube, bungie, teflon insert, etc) and ditch the monthly spray application. Even better, ditch the factory set for aftermarket upgrades or bag it?

11. Sep 29, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    sasqydude

sasqydude Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access TRD SR5
    Im trying!
    Damnit! I should of done this instead of letting the dealership do it for me. One month later the squeak is back. Ill be trying this out soon. Thanks a lot.

12. Sep 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    TRDPrerunner

TRDPrerunner Member

Member:
    Boaz, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008, Trd Sport Mall Crawler
    3" Revtek Spacer lift with rear Add-a-leaf, 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3's, Pioneer Touch Screen Head Unit, Memphis SR 6x9's in the front, Upgraded front tweeters, Rear Memphis SR 6x1/2's, 2 Rockford Fosgate P1 Subs in custom box behind the back seat, Memphis SR 1000 watt amp, BHLM, DRL Toggle Switch, Switchback LEDs (See csjumper2003! Coolest thing I've bought for the truck!), Black Tacoma badges, AVS Tail Light covers, "Roll Tide" 3rd Brake Light decal (See sockmonkey!), Secondary Air Filter Removed, and an Oil Catch Can to make the truck last longer than I do!
    I have a Revtek add-a-leaf and it has worked its way crooked from the other leaf springs, so i took the tire off, took the U-Bolts off then hammered it back in line. I put the U-Bolts back on and took it for a spin and did not hear the slightest bit of squeak. Hope That helped

13. Oct 2, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    Gabassman

Gabassman Drive it like a 4WD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    I noticed my leaf springs squeaking about a month ago. I sprayed them down with Sea Foam Deep Creep where metal touches metal and I havent heard any noise since then.

14. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    madeinalaska

madeinalaska Active Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD TX
    TRD Short Throw Shifter, Wet Okoles, 5%
    I've noticed it, but it's been when I had a good amount of build up of dirt, mud, silt, etc. A thorough car wash seemed to do the trick.
    Simple fix: Stop ridin' dirty.

And the dealership will really address this concern if you bring it up to them? Sounds like something they'd totally blow you off about.

15. Oct 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    blacktaco07

blacktaco07 Active Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 4DR Tacoma TRD
    Bought 2 packs of 4 "pucks" and replaced the ones on my squeaky leaf springs. So far so good, not a sound coming from the suspension.

Attached are pics of the old ones compared to the new ones. Took about 20 minutes to change all 8 from the silencer kit

IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg

16. Oct 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    tompovo

tompovo New Member

Member:
    pa.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    Thanks! fixed my accessory meter and my squesky leafs today in less then two hours! Just became a member to say thanks!

17. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    My 05 Tacoma crew cab 4x4 only required a package of 4. About 1/4" thick rubber. The old ones were about 1/16 of an inch. Maybe 05's are different set ups but solved my problem as well. 15-20 minutes as well!

18. Oct 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    blacktaco07

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 4DR Tacoma TRD
    The reason for the difference is the Canadian TRD Sport DBL cab ...and some other Canadian trucks, come standard with 4 leaf springs per side as opposed to 3. As a result, you need to install 4 disks per side on the 4 leaf spring stack.

19. Oct 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    Just to make sure I'm looking at the same thing, it sounds like a few people have a different number of leafs on their truck. To the front and rear of my back tires you can see 2 leafs, but if you look around the tire you can see a shorter 3rd one tucked behind it. Do I only need to put the spacers at both ends of the longer ones, or does one need tucked in that shorter 3rd leaf as well??

20. Oct 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    blacktaco07

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 4DR Tacoma TRD
    So what you are describing is you have 3 leaf springs. This means that you will need 4 of these spacers (1 kit). 1 spacer-front 1 spacer -back on both left and right.

Just look under the leaf spring and you will see the slot which each spacers have a notched where they are seated.....

Products Discussed in

To Top