Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY: squeaky leaf fix

Old 06-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
beachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerospace Propulsion Journeyman, 325FS, 2d AMU
Name: andrew
beachbumberry's Tacoma Gallery
DIY: squeaky leaf fix

ok, so after seeing all the issues everyone has had with this, and only seeing people say what to do to fix it (grease, new leaf pack, dealership, innertube) i decided to do a DIY of it. NOTE: I AM NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR TRUCK with that said, here ya go!

things you'll need:
bicycle tire tube- $2.65 at wally world
(optional) glue-$4.95 for gorilla glue
jack-should be in your truck
prybar and wedge
scissors/knife/cutting utensil

Step 1: jack the truck up. the best way IMO is to lift it by the hitch reciever if you have one to lift it evenly on each side. lift it just enough to releave pressure on the leafs (so just before the tires are off the ground). i suggest chocking the front wheels and setting jack stands under the frame just forward of the front spring mount, in case it falls.

Step 2: spread the leafs apart. the best way i've found is to put a crow bar at the front just ahead of the c-clip looking thing that is mounted on the bottom leaf and pull down. while you are pulling down, put something metal in between the leaves to keep them seperated. i used a small chizel.

the gray stuff on the spring is anti-sieze i had put between the leaves before. it makes the squeek go away, but it isn't permanent, and ends up leaving a big mess. i suggest only going this route if you are ok with redoing it once a month.

Step 3: now time to clean. if you havn't greased/anti-siezed your spring before, this should be relatively quick and easy. i used a can of brake parts cleaner and a rag. spray between the 2 leaves and shove the rag between them and pull it in and out to clean it. you will probably have to spray this out several times until it is dry and clean so you can get proper adheasion.

in this picture you can actually see what is left of the OEM rubber friction pad. garbage.

before

after

Step 4: now it's time to cut the tube to fit. i made mine long, because i didn't want to have to worry about missing any point that a squeak may develop.

Step 5: put whatever type of glue you wish to use, if you feel the need to. i did this first without any sort of glue and drove it down the interstate, on a rough road quickly, and then down the beach with no problems, but i feel for the sake of longevity i decided to use gorilla glue on one side to fix it to the bottom leaf. the person i origional saw this idea from used super glue and claimed that it has worked flawlessly for 8 months.

Step 6: slide the tube inbetween the leaves and flatten it out, making sure there are no folds.

Step 7: using the crowbar, spread the leaves back apart and remove whatever you used to seperate them. lower the truck and the leaves will close back together.

hope this helps everyone!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
I request this to go in the DIY section or a sticky!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Am I wrong or did Toyota also put some lithium grease on your leaf packs, too?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Am I wrong or did Toyota also put some lithium grease on your leaf packs, too?
he put anti seize on to help stop the squeaks.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
dgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to behold

dgalleon's Tacoma Gallery
hmm... i might try this
Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
ridin dirty
07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Red
07tacoark's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone tried this after the harsh ride TSB? from the looks of it those springs arent after the TSB
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
beachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachbumberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tacoark View Post
has anyone tried this after the harsh ride TSB? from the looks of it those springs arent after the TSB
i don't believe they are. i bought the truck about 6 months ago and the squeak developed shortly after. truck doesn't have a harsh ride though
Old 06-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
ridin dirty
07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumberry View Post
i don't believe they are. i bought the truck about 6 months ago and the squeak developed shortly after. truck doesn't have a harsh ride though
hmm... id be anxious to see if this would work on the leafs that have had the TSB done. mine squeak like crazy now
Old 06-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #9
looks like that TSB worked according to champion toyota in corpus christi, the TSB is more or less a kit that does essentially what i did. it puts a rubber strip between the 2, but i hear the kit's strip is short and misses the point on the spring that develops a squeak
Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
ridin dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumberry View Post
looks like that TSB worked according to champion toyota in corpus christi, the TSB is more or less a kit that does essentially what i did. it puts a rubber strip between the 2, but i hear the kit's strip is short and misses the point on the spring that develops a squeak
no, the TSB fixes the harsh ride, which adds a leaf to help keep the bed from hittin the bump stops. ive had mine done back when i still had warranty bout 40k ago & it squeaks with the slightest dam bump at all... gets on my nerves. im gonna go deaf bc i keep the bass bumpin to cover all the noises i hear. i can hear a dam knat on the wall... got that crap from my dad so i get irritated by any little noise at all

i will try somethin like this when i get a chance to just to see how it works for us that have done the harsh ride TSB & see if it helps. so thanks for doin this mod OP
Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
so it adds a leaf bringing the total to 4? mine has 2 main leafs the one short leaf below them
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
^if it doesn't work with the tsb u can always grease the leaf springs. good quality synthetic grease will last a while. if you want to go all out take apart the entire leaf pack and spray rubberized undercoating....
that is a PITA haha. firsdt time i greased them i thought it was the front bushing and took the entire rear end apart. took longer to put back together just because it was a pain to line it all back up
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
can this please be stickied, i just saw another new post asking about the squeaky spring.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #16
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
If I can find the time, I'm probably going to give this a shot. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
i did the same thing to the other side without any sort of glue and it seems to be holding up well. just had to make the strip long and pull it far back so there is no risk of it sliding out.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
thanks! i appreciate it!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, if I start squeeking, I am doing this!