Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Least problematic 2nd gen model year?

Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Steve1155 will become famous soon enoughSteve1155 will become famous soon enough
Steve1155's Tacoma Gallery
Least problematic 2nd gen model year?

Looking to buy a used 2nd gen. What years should I be looking at and which should I avoid. Truck will be a DC 4X4 V6 with TRD off road pkg if I can find one.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
That leaves mine out!!! Just Kiddin, They all have similar issues, its not until you hit 09 where you get ATRAC and LED tails. Just look for one in nice shape that was taken careof. It will last.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
I'd stay away from the year one models, so 2005, with all makes and models, year one's tend to have some bugs.

If you plan on lifting, I'd consider looking at years that don't have all the fancy electronics (traction control, VSC). This can add problems/issues to deal with.

My vote: 2006
Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Chances are, the 2010 will have the least problems for two reasons.

1) They have been around for the shortest amount of time, so less time for problems to rack up.

2) Theoretically, Toyota would consistently be making improvements to avoid the problems already reported on the 05-09 models.

People always say don't buy a vehicle in the first model year for this reason.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Usually for what you end up spending on a newer used with the interest on the loan and all (if your financing) you'll most likely be better off buying new. IMO

Plus then you're not buying someone elses headache...
Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
06-08 I would say.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
06-08 I would say.
x2
Old 06-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
I would buy an 08

05-07 all have the same problems. 09-10 have ugly tail lights
Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
calaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant futurecalaniz0312 has a brilliant future

Name: Carlos
calaniz0312's Tacoma Gallery
05 like mine!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2005 the only problem i have had was the throwout bearing, which happens to all of the 6speeds eventually
Old 06-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
06-08 I would say.
x2 ....
EDIT: apparently x3

If you score one that has none of the electronic crap its even better and most of the 05-08 dont have electronic gizmos. in them
Its going to be easier to upgrade truck. (lockers, solid axle etc)
Old 06-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
These trucks are shit, just kidding. Any model year is great, sometimes you get the rare lemon Tacoma. But your safe with any year
Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda funny, and kind of obvious, everyone votes for the year of their own truck.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
i though 08+ had transmission shifting problems
Old 06-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Had an '06 DC Prerunner SR5, traded for an '05 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road. In my experience, the '05 runs better, shifts better (auto), and overall just seems like a better built truck. So you can't just throw out the 'stay away from first year models' statement carte blanche. Most are great, some aren't, but that happens to all years.

One advantage to '05 is no TPMS to fool with if you want to swap wheels.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #17
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
ive had zero problems with my 05
Old 06-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
005Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
I'd stay away from the year one models, so 2005, with all makes and models, year one's tend to have some bugs.

If you plan on lifting, I'd consider looking at years that don't have all the fancy electronics (traction control, VSC). This can add problems/issues to deal with.

My vote: 2006
I would disagree because it seems like the 2009 and 2010 has the MOST issues. My 2005 hasn't had as many prob as the 08 and up.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #19
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::childstoy:: View Post
Plus then you're not buying someone elses headache...
spoken like a true car salesman...