Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trans temp gauge

Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
2.7taco is on a distinguished road
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Trans temp gauge

I have no idea whats the reason it works when it wants to. Every now and then it will flicker on and then nothing. I am wondering if the sender has crapped out.

The gauge has been wired from the battery with a relay and an in-line fuse. It also has a ground routed to the body ground near the battery. I have a routed all the wiring away from heat as much as possible and all of the connectors have been sealed from moisture as much as possible. All of the wires have been checked for continuity and all check out.

I'm stumped.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Can you add a little more info?

Where did you choose to locate the sending unit (sensor)? What model trans temp gauge did you use? How and where did you mount it? Pics would be nice...
Its an autometer Z trans temp gauge. The sensor/sending unit is mounted in a block of aluminum and clamped to the line. The aluminum acts like heat sink, its off the actual ATF temp by only 5 degrees. The block is still clamped tight to the line.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
TACO SUPREME
c0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MK1/E-6
Name: Dennis
c0astie31's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to c0astie31
make sure that you put the circle connector in the right place on the temp probe, you need to have the grounf touching the bottom part of the sensor for it to work correctly.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0astie31 View Post
make sure that you put the circle connector in the right place on the temp probe, you need to have the grounf touching the bottom part of the sensor for it to work correctly.
Explain more if you can a picture would help. As far as I have read the only ground is from the gauge to a good ground source according to Autometer.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7taco View Post
Explain more if you can a picture would help. As far as I have read the only ground is from the gauge to a good ground source according to Autometer.
Sending units often require a good local ground too.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Sending units often require a good local ground too.
That must be it. Is there any way to set up a ground for the sender unit since I don't have a good area for a ground.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7taco View Post
That must be it. Is there any way to set up a ground for the sender unit since I don't have a good area for a ground.
If the sending unit is metal and is clamped in an aluminum block, then ground the aluminum block. It doesn't have to be a big ground wire--small automotive wire will do just fine.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
If the sending unit is metal and is clamped in an aluminum block, then ground the aluminum block. It doesn't have to be a big ground wire--small automotive wire will do just fine.
Well searching around a little has served me good thanks for all the help. I will be adding a ground wire to my setup asap.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Set the ground wire up and ran an easy test drive down the road the temp. averaged 180*F. I had it peak at 195*F for a little when I passed someone on the road. It may be time for a cooler.