1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!!! Dont know what truck to buy!!!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FXHO, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Jun 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

You gonna wheel your truck???

2. Jun 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    original post advised he would not be wheeling it..

3. Jun 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    FXHO

FXHO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Miami,FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    now this my be a stupid question but remember im new to this....

whats the difference between 5100s and a 3inch lift spacer kit?

and whats better? pros and cons? and what exactly is a 5100?

4. Jun 20, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    5100's = http://www.bilsteinus.com/leveling/index.php

5. Jun 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    FXHO

FXHO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Miami,FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    Still don't know what it means. Sorry if I'm a bit slow.

But let's just say I want to do a regular 3 inch lift, nothing to fancy nor expensive since I'm not really going to be doing any off roading and I want to fit anywhere from 33s to 35s inch wheels on the truck, what kit or options should I get or look into???

Thks guys and remember I'm new to all of this so I'm still learning and pls take into consideration of the 3 trucks I'm trying to use as inspiration that I posted on the first page of this thread. Thks again.

6. Jun 20, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    If you can get the TRD with the Off Road package cause you will get the rear locker.

You will want to wheel your truck since they are so capable. You will thank me when you need that locker to get you out of a bind.

You will probably play about 1200 - 1500 i think installed for it aftermarket for an ARB.

7. Jun 21, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Ok, first off to once again clarify... the rear locker must be engaged below 5mph (can be done in gear, in fact it has to engage in gear unless it's perfectly lined up when you hit the button). The reason for that is a pin the little servo pushes to lock the diff sides together will shear off if you're going faster.... and that's not a cheap fix. However, once it is locked you can go as fast as you want. That said, PreRunners have no 4x4 system, and I had my locked rear up to 80mph in the sand no probs. The manual does not recommend this due to different handling characteristics. A locker is the ultimate traction device you can have front or rear. TRD Off-Road has rear locker only, front diff is open (one wheel peely basically)... only on a 4x4 of course. The 4x4 rear locker can only be engaged in 4-LO (think of it as really low gearing... where you'd do 4000rpm in first normally going about say 30mph, you'll only be doing about 8mph). There is a quick/cheap wire mod to defeat that so you can have it engaged in 2-hi (normal 4x2 mode for street or dirt driving), 4-Hi (4x4 in normal gearing range) and 4-Lo.

Second, why limit to only 05-08? The 09+ has additional traction control stuff that will benefit you on the ramps. A-Track on the trd off-road for one, every model has an electronic simulated LSD using the brakes (will work perfect for your ramps). Just something to consider, especially as the cost of used vs new is less than you might think.

As for needing a locker, or trd vs non trd... only you can decide. If you think you'll want to explore any trails and might possibly eventually get into wheeling.... the TRD Off-Road is a beast, by far the most capable of all models off the lot. You can add an after-market locker for some $$$ later (say an ARB air locker which is actually stronger anyway). So no matter what you can always mod to your current needs.

I do recommend go 4x4 though, esp if you're going to be hitting the docks and towing. You can probably get away without it with a locker or LSD... but nothing will replace 4x4 for shear traction ability. Additionally, the tires you choose are just as important.

The rest of the TRD stuff is all personal choice. If you like the color-matched stuff and fake hood scope the TRD Sport may be for you. If you want the locker... consider the off road. If you could care less about those but like the TRD seats... either model would be fine. The TRD's will probably be easier to sell and maintain a slightly higher resell value too. Something to consider.

Ultimately, you just need to weigh your needs and wants... search for what is available and decide what works for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top