Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Poor radio reception fix

Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
kiteman78 will become famous soon enough
kiteman78's Tacoma Gallery
Poor radio reception fix

Hey guys,
Just wanted to pass on my experience with radio reception in case it helps someone else out. I have an 05 that wouldn't get anything except the two strongest local stations.
The problem was the antenna base. It had corroded internally to the point that there was no antenna connection. Replaced the base and have stellar reception.
I had to cut the old one off as it was corroded way beyond being able to get it apart with the little castle nut that is made of cheese.
To troubleshoot this, if you pull the passenger side pillar trim by the windshield which is super easy, you'll find a connection in the antenna line. Pull that apart and put a piece of wire in the deck side of the connection. If you all of the sudden have great reception, your problem is the antenna base.
Hope this helps someone else as I couldn't find any other posts solving this problem.
Cheers,
Jesse
Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have a problem, but thanks for sharing your fix. It's always nice to have these unique problems and solutions documented.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
OzzyRules is on a distinguished road
Name: Ozzman
OzzyRules's Tacoma Gallery
Poor Radio Reception Fix with more details

I would like to thank Kiteman78 for getting me out of this bind as my girlfriend's '06 Tacoma developed the same problem. This was so crazy I had to post to this website. It is EXACTLY as Kiteman78 says (do his test first, very easy). Her antenna mast was fine but the base was corroded like you wouldn't believe! You won't see it until you start grinding it off. That's right...I said GRINDING! Don't even think this is a 15 min job because it's not. It took ALL F'N DAY!!!! I'll try and keep it short. Take the mast off with a wrench. That should come off easy. Then the castle nut. The castle nut will be corroded to the base. You will NOT get it off without chiseling it out. I tried snap ring pliers, vise grips...no way. Then you think the rubber base will come off? Nope. It is corroded to the antenna base itself. I had to grind down with my Dremel biter bit until the rubber base separated from the antenna base itself. You will see how poor the metal is and how badly it corroded (welded itself, in my opinion) to all the other parts. Then to get at the antenna base, good luck trying to get off the fasteners on the plastic fender well splash shields. They don't just "pop" out. So some extra advice is to get all the antenna parts from Toyota so you can see how they connect to each other and you can direct the grinding better. Main antenna base was around $50, the rubber base was around $20 and the castle nut was $5 for a total of around $75.00. Trust me, you will need all these parts and my dealership stocked them (Hmm...did they know this was a weak part?) Plus all those parts are made in the Phillipines where I'm sure they don't have weather like we do in Massachusetts. Maybe this created the corrosion condition because of the snow/salt up here. I'm not sure. If you're going to attempt this, plan a whole day my friend...you'll need it!
Good Luck!
Ozzman
Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
mihiinme is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
mihiinme's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, Thanks for the heads up on this one. This one has been driving me crazy and that would have been the last place I tried
Old 09-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
the Philippines have crazy weather. just I don't think it snows and if it does then they prob don't salt the roads.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
my reception isn't that great...i'll have to investigate...thanks
Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
mine just started acting up here in the last 2 weeks.have to check it out for sure.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Glad this tip has been useful to some of you.
Gotta love the power of the internet.
Jesse
Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
hmmmmmm not good.. anyway to prevent the salt from getting in there after checking it out? I haven't had the problem, but from the sounds of it will someday. I'm all for preventive maintenance on things like this.

Silicon? Rubber washers? ideas?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
maju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Retired
maju's Tacoma Gallery
When I replaced my antenna with a rubber shorty. I cleaned both of the treaded parts with a electronic contarc cleaner and preservative (DeoxIT) and then put a smaill rubber washer to help keep it sealed and to keep it from getting loose.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. My reception has started to suck this year and I thought it must be corrosion at the connection to the back of the reciever. I didn't realize there was another connection in the passenger side pillar, I'm going to check it all out to see if I can clean things up and maybe use some dielectric grease on the connection. Hopefully that improves things.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
anyway to prevent the salt from getting in there after checking it out?
Silicon? Rubber washers? ideas?
Questions...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
use some dielectric grease on the connection.
Answer.............

Love this place.....................
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Major91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Major91's Tacoma Gallery
I loose channel when i put the taco in reverse........no biggie but still...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
kjmc is on a distinguished road

Name: Kelly
kjmc's Tacoma Gallery
sucks

I complained about radio reception from new,asked the dealership to take a look at the problem more than once while under warranty nothing wrong I'm told. After a year of complaining they replace the radio, Gurrrrr still sucks, then I replace with after market single Din JVC unit radio reception still f--ked, only listen to 2 and a half stations plus AUX Music and CD'S. Six years later I find this post and know what I'm doing tomorrow.

P.S. The antenna almost fell out one day while washing the Taco so lots of chances for shit to get in there !!! told my Bro to check his Taco same thing with his 2011 .
Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
wylee is on a distinguished road
wylee's Tacoma Gallery
Just realized I never thanked the OP. I put a new antenna base in my 08 in the spring.

Thank you kiteman78.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
I have this exact same issue. i will troubleshoot this when i get off work today. Thanks OP!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
So glad this helped so many of you out.
Long live the Tacos and this board.
It's an invaluable resourse for Taco owners!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #18
sylbo is on a distinguished road
sylbo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks !!!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I own a Tacoma 2008 TRD (4 doors) for 3 years now and always found my radio reception really bad. I did a test "scan" and only reach 5 stations. I then did what this post suggested and went from 5 stations scan to 17 stations with a temp wire. See attached picture for the test, it only takes 5 minutes. Now I need to plan on fixing the antenna base. for a permanent fix. THANKS A BUNCH AGAIN !
Attached Thumbnails
Poor radio reception fix-img_3536.jpg   Poor radio reception fix-img_3537.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
sylbo is on a distinguished road
sylbo's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced the broken parts by myself today by following this thread : http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...na-fender.html

It took me 3 hours total. 106$ canadian for the 3 replacement parts.