Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to Make a Bed For Your Bed! DIY Camping

Old 06-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Zombie Killer
High-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
High-Gear's Tacoma Gallery
How to Make a Bed For Your Bed! DIY Camping

The wife and I are about to embark on our first 10 day overland exploration trip. We will be living out of the Taco as we explore 10 states and Ontario Canada. I had looked into Airbedz, and Truck Bedz, but ha a hard time justifying $165 for an air mattress which we could only use in the bed of the truck. I tried to find an air mattress which would fit, but either they were too small or too large to fit in the bed. Then I came up with this solution….Cost $0!

I went to a local business which manufactures foam. They make all types of densities and sizes. I spoke to one of the floor supervisors and explained to him what I needed, and he told me to give him a few weeks and he was sure they would have a cut off end or other piece of scrap which would work. I did not have high hopes on this scrap, but I though I’d give it a try.

A week later I got a call to come and pick up my foam, and to my surprise there was a 3” thick piece of black foam waidint for me, cut to 52” x 60”. This type of foam is about the same density as the foam that comes in Pelican cases and will be perfect to sleep on!

Here are step by step instructions on how to measure, cut, and make a case for your own foam Truck Bed!

1) I used a piece of cardboard to make a template. I measured the offset of the wheel well, then transferred the measurements to the cardboard. I cut it out and double checked the fit in the truck.

2) I laid the foam out on the living room floor, and placed the stencil on top. Unfortunately I did not have a silver sharpie to trace the stencil, so I used a razor blade to lightly score the foam.

4) ***Warning *** If your wife is not cool, do not attempt this step while she is at home
Next I used the wife’s electric carving knife to cut the foam. I have used this before to make custom cutouts for rifle cases and it works great. The trick is to let the knife do the work and slowly glide it through te foam. Do not push the knife through.

Here is a test fit:

Save the cut off ends, as I was able to cut them down, and put them into the pillow cases, sew around them to make them tight and wound up with two camp pillows for free!

5) I wanted to make a slip cover for the bed so I took an old queen sized sheet set and laid it on the floor . I used a marker to trace around the foam, leaving approximately a 3” space all the way around the foam. I repeated this on both the fitted sheet and top sheet, then cut them out with scissors.

6) Now a Tailor I am not, but I turned the top sides of the sheets against each other and sewed two seams around the perimeter, leaving the wide end open. When this was finished, I turned the sheets inside out, and put the foam inside. I then sewed the last end of the slip cover closed.

7) Here is the finished product with pillows!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
4X4 aggie '13 has a spectacular aura about4X4 aggie '13 has a spectacular aura about

4X4 aggie '13's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice! I also found that a twin bed mattress fits right between the two wheel wells, but fitting two people in a twin isn't fun. Why don't you just use two regular pillows?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Zombie Killer
High-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 aggie '13 View Post
Very nice! I also found that a twin bed mattress fits right between the two wheel wells, but fitting two people in a twin isn't fun. Why don't you just use two regular pillows?
Because I didn't MAKE our normal pillows!

Just kidding! We will take our regular pillows to sleep on, but these smaller ones I thought we'd use around the camp where they might get knocked in the dirt that way we don't have to sleep on dirty pillows. Just handy to have to prop your feet up and such. I threw them in for the photo.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
"Obviously, You're not a Golfer..."
swervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FCC(SW) Aegis FCS, Soon to Be LCPO on the USS BULKELY
Name: Jonas
swervin22's Tacoma Gallery
Did you lay on it yet? How comfy was it? Could prolly get some egg crate foam for the top of that for some extra padding, then roll it up when not in use. Either way, good job on the bed, and I hope it fits your needs!! Also, take lots of pictures of the journey!! Sounds like quite an awesome vacation!! Have fun!!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Zombie Killer

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin22 View Post
Did you lay on it yet? How comfy was it? Could prolly get some egg crate foam for the top of that for some extra padding, then roll it up when not in use. Either way, good job on the bed, and I hope it fits your needs!! Also, take lots of pictures of the journey!! Sounds like quite an awesome vacation!! Have fun!!
We laid on it to test it out for firmness and space. It seems to work just fine but the true test will be how we feel at the end of the 10 days. We'll keep the egg crate foam in mind.

I'll post a thread about the trip with pics when we return.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Dude thats bad ass! Good thinking on your part!!! Its looks amazing...in fact i'm getting sleepy just looking at it
Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Great work! to sleep in a short bed though, you two must be short lol.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
nice work. i would have to double up the foam.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
el_smurfo is on a distinguished road
el_smurfo's Tacoma Gallery
Yo Dawg...I heard you liked beds, so I put a bed in your bed.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYo2002 View Post
Great work! to sleep in a short bed though, you two must be short lol.
X2, a long bed wouldn't even fit me.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
LIVESTRONG
Bullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bullzi511Tacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. And you saved a good deal of money by making it yourself! Rep for you!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work I like it, one thing for sure if you had a long bed you would be able to fit aero bed in that thing. Lids love the camping on the back and no need to for tent especially in rain.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
Zombie Killer

Law Enforcement:
My wife is 5' nuttin'. Oh she'll tell you she is 5'2" but I wouldn't believe her!

I'm 5'9 and sleep on my side with knees pulled up anyway so I think the short bed will work. We have a tent just in case, but I'm thinking positive!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
kenstar is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Ken
kenstar's Tacoma Gallery
rofl. i like this. even busted out the sewing machine.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
This would be great for the Drive-in
Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
Trigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud of
Trigger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_smurfo View Post
Yo Dawg...I heard you liked beds, so I put a bed in your bed.

LMAO. Pimp My Ride

Great job btw man
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
akdisney is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Alan
akdisney's Tacoma Gallery
Did you think of cut it threes or four, so you can fold it up.
Like a Store foam mattress.

this little more sewing