1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inner CV Boot Fins Touching & Wearing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I wish I had caught this sooner...two of the CV boot fins on the passenger side have been touching. There is wear on the inside of one of the fins, it feels like a little depression in the rubber.

I was going to remove the factory band clamp, use an awl between the axle and the boot to let air into the boot, and slide it down the axle a bit so the fins aren't so close together, and then replace it with a regular screw type hose clamp.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Is there a better way to do this?

Please let me know! Heading to the parts store in the next 20 min!

-Thanks!

2. Jun 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Oh, and are there any tricks to removing the factory band clamp? It looks like I just need to unfold the metal and open it up?

3. Jun 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    The axle has grooves in it where the CV boots are seated. You won't have much luck moving the outer end, having it stay, and keeping it sealed.

4. Jun 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    As for that clamp, it'll be destroyed when you remove it. Those are a 1-shot deal.

5. Jun 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    MJP, thanks for the heads up!

Is there something that would cause the inner CV boots to touch on the passenger side and not the driver's side? I do have the Toytec diff drop kit installed and the truck sits level left/right.

Anything I can do to keep the fins from touching?

6. Jun 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Aside from lowering your truck, not really. Odd that it's only on one side.

Silly question, but are your wheels are pointed straight ahead while you're looking under there?

7. Jun 21, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yep, they were pointed straight. I noticed it while I was washing the truck.

Lol...well I'm glad at least that the axle removal how-to was posted here today so I have something to go by when it does fail. Seems like an awful damn lot of work for a pesky boot.

I dont' think it'll move the diff enough, but can I add a 1mm washer to the spacers on the Toytec diff drop kit without ill effects?

8. Jun 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Taco lean...it common for tacos to lean on the driver's side, even after lifting, so the passenger side sits higher, giving the passenger side a worse cv angle

9. Jun 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    You'll start playing games with your front driveshaft angle. Also remember that the differential drop only pivots the front differential, so a 1" spacer will only drop the axles around 1/2". Adding a 1mm spacer will drop the axles .5mm.

Best bet is to just leave it for now. Buy the parts for the CV boots and keep 'em around, but don't bother replacing anything until it goes. It's a filthy job and you'll probably still rub on the new boots.

My first thought too but it's on the wrong side of the truck and he mentioned that it sits level. Weird, right?

10. Jun 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sounds good, I'll leave it be and get the parts on hand. I'm hesitant to lower the front any more. When I installed the lift it was level front/rear but after settling the front is lower by 1/2 to 1".

It'll be interesting to see how long they last. I've got about 9,500mi on the truck now, about 7,500 of those are with the lift installed. I'm hoping for 30,000 but I don't think the boot will make it that long.

Hehe...so there's at least one sick day in the near future. Dammit please don't fail when its bitch cold out...

11. Jul 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Ok! I fixed this! The truck did have a lean to it. I checked after the install and had my alignment shop check ride height and we both got even numbers to within a 1/4". It must have settled because I checked it again and it was off by 3/4". I lowered the passenger side with the coilover adjustment and the CV boot fins aren't touching :)

I measured from top of rim to fender when I did this. Before I was at 14.25" driver's side, 15" passenger side. Now I'm at 14.25" driver's side, 14.5" passenger side.

Products Discussed in

To Top