LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

To buy or not to buy this truck...

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
jayhawk is on a distinguished road
jayhawk's Tacoma Gallery
To buy or not to buy this truck...

I haven't bought a Tacoma yet, but might buy one tomorrow. So, I figured I would see if you guys would share some info and experience with these. The last Toyota truck I owned was in 1993...

It's a 2005 extended cab. 4 cyl, manual transmission, 2 wheel drive.
It has 83,000 miles. Seems to be in real good shape.

In relation to these trucks, is there anything special that I should be looking at down the road, that will likely fail, or anything that I should check out extra closely?

I'm mechanically inclined, but this would be my daily driver, so I don't want to buy someone else's problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
how much they asking
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
jayhawk's Tacoma Gallery
They are asking $12,999. Seems like a decent price according to Edmunds.
We haven't done the numbers game yet, but I imagine they won't come down much, since everyone wants a Tacoma.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Tell em you'll give em 11 and go from there
Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
bearing01 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
bearing01's Tacoma Gallery
Did you drive the same truck with the V6? If you do then you'll want a V6 and you will regret having bought the 4 cylinder. I found that with the 4x4 4-cyl, on the freeway, I had to gear down from 5th to 3rd in order to get enough acceleration to pass a tractor trailer. That's with just me & the wife and no cargo. I can't imagine what it would be like if I was carrying a load.

Go test drive a V6 to make sure you want the 4-cyl.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
jayhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I'll stick it to em with great fury.

Is there anything mechanically that tends to be a common issue when you get up to 100k? Any spots that like to rust out, that I could give an extra look at?

Anyone replace the clutch on these yet? What does that cost?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Thanks guys. I'll stick it to em with great fury.

Is there anything mechanically that tends to be a common issue when you get up to 100k? Any spots that like to rust out, that I could give an extra look at?

Anyone replace the clutch on these yet? What does that cost?
and do you mean pre runner or 5 lug? if so wait and get a pre runner. much easier to lift in the long run. many more options
Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
The 05+ had some common issues such as paint chipping, transmsmission problems, leaf springs, but I think none of those applied to the 5 lugger. There are (was ) some issues with premature rust I believe but i am not sure if that has been proven.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
jayhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearing01 View Post
Did you drive the same truck with the V6? If you do then you'll want a V6 and you will regret having bought the 4 cylinder. I found that with the 4x4 4-cyl, on the freeway, I had to gear down from 5th to 3rd in order to get enough acceleration to pass a tractor trailer. That's with just me & the wife and no cargo. I can't imagine what it would be like if I was carrying a load.

Go test drive a V6 to make sure you want the 4-cyl.
Yeah, I know you are right, which is why I don't want to drive a 6 cyl. I drive a lot of highway and I have a lead foot. I need gas mileage and less tickets.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Wasn't the 05 year the ones with the motor mounts/brackets failing? So you might wanna check those. Link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...failing-7.html

And as with all of our trucks, check for unusual amounts of rust on the frame.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Wasn't the 05 year the ones with the motor mounts/brackets failing? So you might wanna check those.

And as with all of our trucks, check for unusual amounts of rust on the frame.
i gotta 2005 with 102k on it and I haven't had any issues...maybe I got luck
Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #12
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
I agree about possibly regretting getting a 4 cyl if you need to haul or haul ass on the road. I've had a 4 cyl Tacoma in the past and would never consider getting that again after having a V6, regardless of gas savings. Also think you can definitely get it for $11k or less.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Too much money for the mileage. I paid about that much for one with about half that mileage, a prerunner. 6 cyl gas mileage won't be much worse than a lifted 4 cyl anyway so get the 6. Loads with windy hilly conditions will have you regretting the 4 cyl....I curse it in those conditions.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #14
jayhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. Your persistence has got me thinking about the 6cyl...

Right no I have a Corolla (don't laugh, I hate it too) and a full size Chevy that is a money pit. I am hoping to unload both for a Tacoma and save some bucks at the same time. But, I will definitely give the 4/6 cyl some more thought.

Thanks again.