Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

USA SPEC PA15-TOY in 08 with Changer and JBL

Old 06-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Felix is on a distinguished road

Name: John
Felix's Tacoma Gallery
USA SPEC PA15-TOY in 08 with Changer and JBL

Does anyone know for sure if the USA SPEC PA15-TOY will work in a 2008 Tacoma with the JBL with CD Changer?

I have read some info on this, but its usually about a different year truck.

Thanks,
John
Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
Can't confirm this model but I'm using the iSimple kit on my 06(JBL),worked fine until I did the iOS4 update on my iPhone and now it doesn't work. Can someone confirm his first question and if it works after the iOS4 update? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have 6 disc changer - not JBL. I have the PA15-Toy.

I honestly don't think it matters because the stock head units have an external CD port. The PA15-toy (and most of the other direct connect adapters) plug right into the external CD port.

Htnswches - I don't know directly about your situation, but...I used to run an ipod2car unit. I upgraded to a newer ipod and although it still worked, it was glitchy and the scroll wheel didn't work for shit. It had something to do with the compatibility of the older ipod2car unit and the firmware in the ipod itself. So, I ended up upgrading to the PA15-Toy.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kidding a bit but seriously the Toy15 works with all 05 and up Tacoma stereos. It even says so on the USA Spec website.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Toy15 works with all 05 and up Tacoma stereos. It even says so on the USA Spec website.

I wish we would stop answering serious questions with "SEARCH".

1. It sounds rude. I don't think we need to sound that way on TW.
2. The search feature doesn't work worth well for most of us.
3. It is hard to get a reliable answer without asking several sources.
4. Personally, I like reading serious questions and helping someone out even if they are repeated topics.

(Cool - you were editting while I was posting)
Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
I wish we would stop answering serious questions with "SEARCH".

1. It sounds rude. I don't think we need to sound that way on TW.
2. The search feature doesn't work worth well for most of us.
3. It is hard to get a reliable answer without asking several sources.
4. Personally, I like reading serious questions and helping someone out even if they are repeated topics.

(Cool - you were editting while I was posting)
Funny you should say it. We all say search because really you should. The info is somewhere. I search up on everything before I decide to post another thread. It really isn't that hard. A simple search for "ipod" or "interface" would have given his answer. Also the site clearly states that the until will work with any 05 and up Tacoma stereo.

"Please Note:
  • PA15 TOY replaces PA12TOYand is compatible with all Toyota and Most Lexus radios that have satellite radio, In-dash 6 disc changers, MP3 player, Navigation Units, and Rear seat Entertainment. Charges all new iPods and iPhones."
Old 06-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
Does anyone know for sure if the USA SPEC PA15-TOY will work in a 2008 Tacoma with the JBL with CD Changer?

I have read some info on this, but its usually about a different year truck.

Thanks,
John
John, I had a 06 with the jbl system which is the same as yours and it worked fine if you need help installing hit me up I can give you tips or even help you do it.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
fjm0008 has a spectacular aura aboutfjm0008 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jack
fjm0008's Tacoma Gallery
Usa spec pay 15

Ditto on the telling people to search. If you need help just ask, I have the PA 15 installed in my 06 with JBL, it is great, I have my Starmate (Sirius) and my ipod hooked up to it. Let me know if you need anything.
Jack
Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Felix's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I did some research on here first..I just wanted someone that has the same year and set up as mine to confirm that it works. I went ahead and ordered one.

btw, my friend gave me a Scosche AXIPTA. It looks basically the same as the USA Spec. It will display songs like it's working, but there is no sound when in ipod mode. It may be conflicting with the SAT.

-J
Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I did some research on here first..I just wanted someone that has the same year and set up as mine to confirm that it works. I went ahead and ordered one.

btw, my friend gave me a Scosche AXIPTA. It looks basically the same as the USA Spec. It will display songs like it's working, but there is no sound when in ipod mode. It may be conflicting with the SAT.

-J
Dude. You won't regret getting it. It works well with my stereo and I love being able to use the steering wheel controls to control the ipod. I ran the cable to the center console.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm0008 View Post
Ditto on the telling people to search. If you need help just ask, I have the PA 15 installed in my 06 with JBL, it is great, I have my Starmate (Sirius) and my ipod hooked up to it. Let me know if you need anything.
Jack

I've been considering doing this as well. How did you connect the sirius to the pa-15? I know it has rca jacks on the side, but I saw the port with XM on it, does it connect there? and do you need a special cable?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
I've been considering doing this as well. How did you connect the sirius to the pa-15? I know it has rca jacks on the side, but I saw the port with XM on it, does it connect there? and do you need a special cable?
You plug int he unit to the back of the stereo. No messing with the SAT system.

http://usaspec.com/userfiles/editor/file/581PA15TOY.pdf
Old 06-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have an aftermarket Sirius radio. Sportster 5. Right now it's plugged into the radio with an FM modulator and sounds like crap. 06's didn't come with sat radio factory.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
I have an aftermarket Sirius radio. Sportster 5. Right now it's plugged into the radio with an FM modulator and sounds like crap. 06's didn't come with sat radio factory.
You can probably run it into the RCA input of the USA Spec unit. Just follow the directions to enable the input.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Certified Smartass
FuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to all

Name: `
FuzzyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htnswches View Post
Can't confirm this model but I'm using the iSimple kit on my 06(JBL),worked fine until I did the iOS4 update on my iPhone and now it doesn't work. Can someone confirm his first question and if it works after the iOS4 update? Thanks!
Yes, Yes it does. I have the same model the OP has and have had iOS4 for quite some time (beta tester) and it's always worked. Just used it on my way to work today, in fact.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #16

Yeah, I'm sure there are instructions. But the quote I used on my original question was from someone who actually hooked it up the way I would like to do it. So I was hoping they would reply and say I needed a special cable or something like that. Not trying to be rude to you or anything (I appreciate the help).
Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure there are instructions. But the quote I used on my original question was from someone who actually hooked it up the way I would like to do it. So I was hoping they would reply and say I needed a special cable or something like that. Not trying to be rude to you or anything (I appreciate the help).
I understand. There is no XM input that I remember. Maybe it was an add on module when the USA Spec unit first came out but to use it on the current unit you will just have to run audio to the input. You can get rid of that FM modulator. Look at the diagram in the instructions. It shows how to hook up a SAT radio unit. Depending on what outputs your SAT system has you will just have to buy a RCA cable or a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA cable. Nothing expensive and easy to fine.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #18
fjm0008 has a spectacular aura aboutfjm0008 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jack
fjm0008's Tacoma Gallery
Hooking it up

The harness that comes with the USA Spec hooks into the back of the radio. You will need a cable from Radio Shack with a stereo plug (same size as a headphone plug, that converts to two RCA plugs. It is about 7.00, 6 ft long. Plug the cable for the Starmate into into the two RCA plugs. The unit also comes with a IPOD direct wire. I ran mine across into the glove box as I can control it with my steering wheel controls and do not need to access it, it turns on and of with the unit. There are lots of photos on mounting locations for the Starmate, I used the pocket underneath the two 12V plugs and there is still some room in there for a few items. You will have some extra length on the radio shack cable but it allows you to use the IPOD direct if you choose. The XM plug is not used for our setup. Note that all 4 dip switches should all be in the on position. The unit comes with #1 turned off, I had to take it apart a second time and turn that one on. The unit fits nicely on the left side in a gap next to the stereo.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #19

Felix's Tacoma Gallery
It works! Thanks for the input.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Question No Plug?

I had a PA-15TOY in my 2002 and it worked great. I pulled it out before I sold it, intending to put it in my '07.

I just pulled the head unit on my '07. It's a single-disc unit with no "aux" button. I was surprised that there was no empty plug to put the PA-15 into. All plugs in the back of the unit had something in them... and none of them would receive the PA-15 plug.

Do you have to have the 6-Disc head unit in order to use the PA-15? USASpec's website is sort of vague about this...

Thanks!