Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Free maintenance/ 1st oil change

Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
moe1967 is on a distinguished road
moe1967's Tacoma Gallery
Free maintenance/ 1st oil change

Went to dealership for my first "free" maintenance oil change, etc, and it says on the receipt that they used 5w-20 instead of 5w-30, I have a V6

Didn't realize this until I got home. I called the service dept and they said that is what is used in all oil changes and that my truck would be fine.

Should I be concerned? Should I put the correct oil in?

Thanks in advance

I'm thinking i will ditch the "free maintenance" program
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
They should use what it says to use in the manual. 5w30 I believe.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It wont hurt anything.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
moe1967's Tacoma Gallery
I concerned because i live in the bitchin' Louisiana heat
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
They should use what it says to use in the manual. 5w30 I believe.
X2! I didn't even take my truck in for a free oil change.
Get some Mobil 1 5w-30, and put in.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Crush washers??? Tall filters??? Do I just go to the Toyota parts desk and buy these?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primersinmyshoe View Post
Crush washers??? Tall filters??? Do I just go to the Toyota parts desk and buy these?
I repeat this warning on every thread I see with people calling out over-sized or tall filters while still in warranty. Using any filter that is not specifically cataloged to your application can be grounds for denying a warranty claim if said filter fails.

Both the Toyota V6 and I4 in our trucks have deep sump capacities anyways and gain nothing by having a over-sized filter and the marginal increase in oil capacity. Mostly a placebo effect.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #9
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
I repeat this warning on every thread I see with people calling out over-sized or tall filters while still in warranty. Using any filter that is not specifically cataloged to your application can be grounds for denying a warranty claim if said filter fails.

Both the Toyota V6 and I4 in our trucks have deep sump capacities anyways and gain nothing by having a over-sized filter and the marginal increase in oil capacity. Mostly a placebo effect.
Good Point......
Old 06-24-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
moe1967's Tacoma Gallery
The thought just occurred to me that those donkey dicks probably didn't adjust the tire pressure when they rotated my tires. I was right :-(

I marked the tires before going to insure that they would rotate them correctly, which they did. But they failed to to adjust the tire pressure.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I would do some more research before "warning on every thread I see with people calling out over-sized or tall filters while still in warranty".

Just so you know for the future Toyota offer's (3) different filters for the same exact engine and depending on where you live, that's what you get from your local dealer.

Since we have the interweb - I buy in bulk orders of 10+. I use mobil 1 and run 5,000 miles between changes so, it would make sense to use the filter with the most surface area of filtering media.....no?

All are fully warranted. None are "oversized". All are offered by Toyota.
Read what I said again. If it is cataloged, then you are fine. So if Toyota has thee different filters cataloged, then Toyota covers it.

Problem mainly lies with people who go down to their local parts store and get filters like the PH3600 or Ford FL1A that offer larger capacity. If they do fail, Toyota will refer you regardless to the filter maker for restitution and the filter maker can deny claim for using the non cataloged filter for your application.