Notices

Steering wheel Shake

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
mxmaniac is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
mxmaniac's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel Shake

It has gotten progressively worse and now i cant take it. From about 45 to 70 it shakes really bad, so bad that the whole car shakes a little now. iv taken it to 3 different places and they say they fixed it but within 2 weeks its back. its not the balance because iv had that checks lots of times, anyone know what this could be?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Chester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant future

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
how many weights are on the rims?are they equal....or close?Are the tires wearing unusual?When was the last alignment?Are the lug nuts tight?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Idk about the weights all i know is that they tell me that they did it. i only have 5k on my tires and there is no wear really. i just had my alignment done last month. And the lug nuts have been taken off and put on many time with same problem.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Chester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant future

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles are on it?When they did the rebalance did they check the wheel bearings?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
in2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4/27th FA... MLRS.... Wertheim Germany
Name: James
in2nite's Tacoma Gallery
check ur steering rack. Ive already changed mine out and i think there is a TSB on them. To check them, have someone turn the steering wheel to full lock in either direction while the engine is on. look at rack while someone is doing this to see if ur rack is moving. i had about a half inch of movement and vibration..

No one makes bushings for 05 and above so you will have to see if you can get it warrantied through a dealer.. good luck
Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does this too, but only at 45-55 mph. Tires are balanced, and alignment is in spec. Before I put my new wheels on, the tire shop told me my wheels could be warped or bent. . . but it still does it with new wheels.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
TRDNinetyNiner is on a distinguished road
TRDNinetyNiner's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem when I modified my wheels and tires. I installed an 18" wheels and wider tires. It looked very nice on the truck and the ride was smooth until I get to freeway speed, that's when the vibrations starts. I went back to the tire shop countless times to try to fix the problem but to no avail. So ended up installing another set of wheels and tires, a 16" TRD wheels and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. The wheels and tires are close to the stock specifications and the ride couldn't be more smoother. Now I'm a happy camper..
Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I'll have this problem after going mudding. Mud dries on the inside of the wheels and throws them out of balance. Don't know if you've been in the mud, but thought I'd share anyway.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
in2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shedin2nite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

in2nite's Tacoma Gallery
nice truck MX r u running Wheel spacers on the front? They can be a problem also..
Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2nite View Post
nice truck MX r u running Wheel spacers on the front? They can be a problem also..

unless they are cheapo vatozone spacers, not likely
Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same thing going on with my truck except it's from 65MPH up I'm going to take it in to be spin balanced next week!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #12

in2nite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
unless they are cheapo vatozone spacers, not likely
You would be suprised at what people put on there trucks..
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2nite View Post
Thanks But no spacers here, and it was doing it when the truck was completely stock. I have just dealt with it
Old 06-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Patrick's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same problem going on, I'm running 265/75/r16 with my 4x4 access cab 4 cyl. I had them balanced a couple of times. I dont think its that. I have no idea what is creating this shake at 50-70 mph, its annoying. I always thought it was my tires breaking in, or maybe too big of a tire for a stock small truck. Trust I am not really a car guy. I can do the basics.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #15

in2nite's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to here that.... Good luck man
Old 06-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
TRIBE 10
jnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: F-18 E/F(Super Hornet) Aviation Electronics Technician (AT2)
Name: Jay
jnoley07's Tacoma Gallery
I had this problem too. I got my tires road force balanced at Gateway tire and ends up one of them was out of balance bad. They had to remount the tire to the wheel and that took care of it. Also, find out what kinds of weights they are using. Use the sticky weights!! Believe me these are the best! The standard weights that shops use are to easily thrown off of aftermarket wheels. Most shops will not use them unless u ask specifically for them.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Patrick's Tacoma Gallery
so your vibrations stopped ?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoley07 View Post
I had this problem too. I got my tires road force balanced at Gateway tire and ends up one of them was out of balance bad. They had to remount the tire to the wheel and that took care of it. Also, find out what kinds of weights they are using. Use the sticky weights!! Believe me these are the best! The standard weights that shops use are to easily thrown off of aftermarket wheels. Most shops will not use them unless u ask specifically for them.
I'm probably going to fork out the money to have them road force balanced somewhere else. This little rinky dink mexican tire shop isn't cutting it i dont think.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
well thx guys ill go check all this. i dont have spacers the spindles make my tires stick out.... actually this is when the problem started i used to have just coilovers but when my spindles went on it started. you guys know any good shops that can help me with my truck near me? i took it to imzz and they pretty much did nuthin. also who would have the roadforce balancing?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same problem last week! Have them check alignment, balance the tires, and then rotate them! Once that is done double check lug nuts and see how it drives. Make sure you are on a highway or interstate where the road is smooth and drives well!

Products Discussed in this Thread