1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clunk at stop light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by achirdo, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Jul 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    RMTacoguy30

RMTacoguy30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC Prerunner Sport TRD
    EGR in channel Vent Visors, Flowmaster American Thunder Dual Exhaust, Thule ToolBox, AFE Pro Dry Drop In Air Filter, Weathertech Floorliners, TC UCA's, Camburg Spindles, AllPro 3" rear.
    I thought the same thing happened to me a few days ago. Heard the thump. Then realized is was a car behind me that bumped my receiver hitch. :facepalm:

2. Jul 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Guy's I had the exact same problem on my 06. I had the tranny serviced and that was the end of the problem. You might want to look into it. A tranny flush is only 250.

3. Jul 3, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    Jetfixr

Jetfixr What was I thinking??

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Cocoa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue 4 door 6spd 07 4x4 TRD Offroad.
    TRD, filter and exhaust system. Red line hood struts, New frame, Truxedo cover, Spyder pro headlights, 3" lift, 17" wheels.
    My 4Runner 06 limited does that....
    jet

4. Jul 3, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    Sforza

Sforza The Forcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SRD V6
    ARE Camper
    The first time my tranmission went clunk at a stop light I thought someone had rolled into me.

5. Jul 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear
    i just bought my truck 3 weeks ago and i brought it back to the dealer 3 times for him to figure out what this "clunk" is .. they said they went through the trans and found nothing wrong.. makes me happy that i found this thread cuz i was ready to go down to the dealer and beat the piss out of this guy ..

6. Jul 5, 2010 at 4:37 AM
    1one1

1one1 addicted...

Member:
    First Name:
    Keone
    Eastside Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB Sport 4x4
    blk headlights, 6k hid's, blk grillcraft top n bottom, led taillights w/ smoked reverse, blk wet okoles, extang trifold cover, 265/70 duratracs, bilstien 5100 @ 2.5, 1.5" aal rear, spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, super white led interior lights, 2 JL 10" subs in custom box, alpine m-1000 amp, Pioneer 3200dvd head unit, husky floor liners, more to come...
    I am another victim of this problem. I have also felt like ive been "rear ended" at a stop light. Kinda weird but I feel that it has something to do with the trans as well. Almost like the trans downshifts itself to first really hard after a short delay. I just pray its nothing that will cause serious damage... Im not under warranty anymore!

7. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    achirdo

achirdo [OP] I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    once again another perfect match for what my truck is doing...i might bring the truck up to the goodyear and see what they say...

8. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Mine makes this sound as well. I know my sound is axle wrap though because if I come to a stop and than hold the brake down firmly, no sound. But if I'm barely holding the brake pedal down because I'm lazy, I hear a mild little clunk. I think its just the rear brakes releasing sooner than the front and pre-loading the rear suspension.

9. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Okay, for those of you that feel this thump while at a light... Do you have any sort of lift on your truck?

I to "had" this problem when I had a spacer in the front and the TSB done in the rear. Today, I am running Bilsteins in all four corners and also have an Add-a-leaf in the rear. I don't feel the "Thump" anymore, BUT I do feel the truck shake in increasing speeds. There is a fix for the too, but haven't done it yet.
    Either way, I'm under the impression that the truck has to be perfectly right between the front and the rear in order to not feel any of these nuances.

Add-a-Leaf used on my truck.
    [​IMG]

10. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    JRW1223

JRW1223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 DCab 4x4 sport
    All Pro long travel, All Pro Front bumper, BFG 285/75/16, American Racing Ledge Wheels 16x8, Vision X 8.7" Tungsten Halogen Off Road Lights
    Mind does this same exact thing. Annoys the heck out of me.

11. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    huntinggunns

huntinggunns Lifes a garden, dig it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM SR5 DC SB TSS 4x4
    In progress
    Guys,
    I had this issue on my 07 Taco, 08 Tundra, and also on my 2010 Taco that I just bought. I fixed both the 07 and the 08 but haven't got off my ass to fix my new one. What causes this is the slip yoke on the drive shaft is binding. When you start to move, the yoke will finally decide to move inward as the back of the truck squats a little on take off. You feel it usually more than you will hear it. The fix is to drop the driveshaft and seperate the slip yoke. For most it is best to take it to a machine shop and let them drill and tap for a grease zerk on the female part of the yoke. This problem will also cause slight vibrations and shudders in the drivetrain as the slip yoke is putting the drivetrain in a bind. Ask anyone that has had a Gen 1 and forgot to grease the slip yokes regularly, they will have these issues until they grease the yokes and drive it for a while.
    Good luck, Fred.

12. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Isn't the yolke internal on the second gens, and automatically lubed up by the tranny fluid?

13. Jul 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I feel the "bump" about 3 to 5 seconds after coming to a stop in my 2009 A/T. I too feel that it is related to the transmission. I am a technician on city buses which have adaptive automatic transmissions just like our Tacomas. They have an identical "bump" feeling just after coming to a stop. One of the senior heavy duty mechanics told me that after coming to a stop the pressure slowly drains from various galleries in the transmission. Once the pressure drains you feel a "bump" as the clutch plates re-seat and the vehicle is ready to accelerate from a full stop again.

I wonder if this is related to the tranny reflash TSB problem- If you go around a corner after braking and your clutch plates take 3 seconds to engage you would feel like you were in neutral. I am going for the tranny TSB this month and will let you know if it helps with the "bump".

14. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    My 2010 does this occasionally. If I go to a dealer what would I tell them so I could get it fixed right the first time? I mean, are there any key words that the service manager might be looking for in order to perform a TSB?

15. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    My 08 Off-Road did this and my 2010 Sport does as well... Only happens to me when the A/C is on though so I think in my case its definetly the compressor.

First time it happened to me in the 08 I thought someone hit me... naturally giving the car behind me the hairy eyeball. lol

16. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Now that i think about it mine does it when the a/c is on too. Wonder if there is a fix for that.

17. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    Gentlemen,..Gentlemen. That is NOT axle wrap. Part of it is slop in your U-Joints (I have had mine replaced twice). Also, I have found it always happens when my AC is on. To me it seems like your Transmission is shifting down while you are stopped and have your foot on the brake and then the truck almost lurches on you.

I would think the Toyota people need to check this out because I know several people with Tacos that do this. The dealer near my house plays dumb on this. But the problem got better each time my U-Joints were replaced but did not go away.

:confused:

18. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    Mine has done this occasionally since it was new. I now have 1,100 miles on it. It doesn't do it frequently, and haven't noticed it recently (but haven't had the A/C on).

19. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    If you're interested in a solution...check this out.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/108316-goodbye-axle-wrap-mod.html

It's in 1st gen forum, but they have the same problem as do lots of people with other Toy's as well as Fords, Nissan's and anyone with progressive rate leaf spring suspensions and auto trannies. A split-shaft drive-line makes it even more likely you'll experience it.

I used the helper spring solution (others say just the clamp does it) and those annoying 'thump' at stop lights from the sticking splines is gone now but I also noted just how much the helper spring added so much to throttle response. When I punch it the truck just goes now, with no hesitation as the axle winds up. Ever so much nicer than the mushy feel it had before, especially in a turn where predictable performance is most appreciated.

Axle wrap causes a lot if issues: the thumps we feel as the sticky spline lets go, the mushy throttle response I notice. The speed crowd have big time issues when it causes wheel hop on power take-offs when drag racing. These are not new problems and the solutions are as low-tech as it gets but time tested!

20. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    I have had the same issue, AC on or not and I drive a MT, so it has nothing to do with lurching forward. I feel it has to do with the drive shaft as noted above. Almost as if the truck settles and the RMPs come down and torque is lowered. Its something I am living with for now but wonder if the slop in the slip yolk will cause damage down the road if not addressed. I do keep up with my greasing.

Products Discussed in

To Top