Notices

clunk at stop light

Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #41
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
yours is a different problem jester
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #42
Newby
ec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ec8's Tacoma Gallery
I tried the 1st gen fix buddywh1 was referring to, the helper spring mod, but didn't use the spring, just the ubolt clamp. Has fixed my problem with the limited testing I did, was annoying, now gone. I'll reply back again in a few days/week or if it comes back. For now it was $17.99 and 30 minutes well spent.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #43
lowzone has a spectacular aura aboutlowzone has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ron
lowzone's Tacoma Gallery
same issue. come to a complete stop in my 2.7L 5 speed MANUAL....about 1 second after coming to a complete stop, i feel a clunk in the rear axle. i have Traction control, could it be the diff and brakes acting up? Like ABS rear brakes when i stop think ive locked the brakes up (while moving though im NOT) and just releasing pressure? just a thought. trucks going in for the "retarded Canary" under the dash fan squeak and mentioned the axle noise.....
Old 05-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #44
RMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Jay
RMTacoguy30's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was doing the same thing until I lifted and went with Allpro leafs. Glad it went away. After someone tapped my bumper I was always looking back everytime I came to a stop thinking someone did it again.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #45
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
I've not expererienced this in my Tacoma but it happens frequently in the Sequoia. I've never heard of this "Axle wrap" phenom you guys have mentioned. I never knew what to make of it.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #46
mr2r6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've heard Tundras also do this. They call it a "driveline bump" and most say there is no fix and manyj ust live with it. My 07 tacoma does this every once and a while. If there was somthing that I could do that would fix it I would but until that time I too will live with it.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #47
HellsWells is on a distinguished road
Name: Spencer
HellsWells's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 TRD 6spd (with less than 500 miles), and I am experiencing a similar problem. When I slightly move the throttle from no load/coast to load/accelerate, I hear and feel a slight thump. I don't think it is axle wrap because because it only happens when there is very little change in momentum.

Feels sort of similar to excessive ring/pinion play i use to experience in my cherokee. slip yoke?

Anyway, I am taking it back to the dealer for a diagnosis.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #48
MillerMan06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
MillerMan06's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2nd gen and my bro has a 1st gen. he is a mechanic and i asked him about that. he told me that his has done it from the first day he had it and mine has done it as well. Its the trany loading up the rearend and your foot just ever so slightley coming off the break JUST A TICK and so very slowly. His guess is no harm done and will come from it. Its just a little creepy and aggervating. But every truck is diffrent.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #49
MillerMan06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
MillerMan06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTacoguy30 View Post
Mine was doing the same thing until I lifted and went with Allpro leafs. Glad it went away. After someone tapped my bumper I was always looking back everytime I came to a stop thinking someone did it again.
the first time mine truck did it thats what I thought i even got out and went to the back of my truck and look. It was a cop that was behind me and i looked at him he got out asked me what was up i told him he told me no way he tapped my bumper I looked at his cruiser and my bumper and did my own math and he was right i told him sorry must have just been me (loosing my mine?????????????????) and down the road we went our own way. and then it did it again. I even still think some body has tapped my bumper from time to time
Old 05-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #50
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
It's the gas shifting in the gas tank. Fill the tank all the way up and it will go away.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #52
ChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Chompster
ChompsterTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had 1985 toyota pick up for a long time and never experienced this clunk til my 2010. It's even worst when the a/c is on. And while the a/c is on the truck always feel like it does not want to stop. As if the truck still want to charge forward requiring me to finesse the brake constantly. My in-law Lexus isf does the same thing too. When his a/c is on the rpm jump kind of high. I drive a ford ranger for work everyday and the braking on that is so much like a regular car, smooth and predictable. I can almost say this Tacoma is weird. My bro 2001 tundra don't even have this problem. Hopefully there is a solution.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #53
MetalRain is on a distinguished road

Name: kenny
MetalRain's Tacoma Gallery
try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
when ever im driving down the road and i stop at a light/ stop sign the car will be stopped for about 5 sec and then the (transmission??) will clunk. what i think it is, is the truck shifting into first gear late when the truck is already stopped, or....??? any ideas? anyone?
sounds like what my 06 was doing... (2006 dc with drum brakes in rear with LSD..) it turns out that my rear shoes were out of adjustment... about 3 times a year I have to adjust them. try this... next time you stop use your emergency brake to stop. ( make sure no one is behind you. cause emergency brakes don't make the brake lights come on.) if the clunk goes away.. thats your problem. that is only if you have rear drum brakes.. hope this helps
Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #55
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primersinmyshoe View Post
My 2010 does this occasionally. If I go to a dealer what would I tell them so I could get it fixed right the first time? I mean, are there any key words that the service manager might be looking for in order to perform a TSB?
Seriously. I brought mine in 3 times for this. they didn't fix it. I am so pissed about it all and it makes so frustrated every time it happens. it only seems to happen once a month or so and only last for a day or two. I can't stand it and this should be TW's biggest unanswered question until it gets figured out because it seems half of everyone on here has the "bump".

For the record, about 1-2 seconds AFTER coming to a COMPLETE STOP does mine only do it.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #56
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
Seriously. I brought mine in 3 times for this. they didn't fix it. I am so pissed about it all and it makes so frustrated every time it happens. it only seems to happen once a month or so and only last for a day or two. I can't stand it and this should be TW's biggest unanswered question until it gets figured out because it seems half of everyone on here has the "bump".

For the record, about 1-2 seconds AFTER coming to a COMPLETE STOP does mine only do it.
I already told you what the problems is... It's the gas in the tank moving back and forth. My 2000 Dodge Dakota did the same thing. Fill your tank and then drive it and you won't hear it again until the tank gets to about 3/4 full.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #57
lowzone has a spectacular aura aboutlowzone has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ron
lowzone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsc View Post
It's the gas shifting in the gas tank. Fill the tank all the way up and it will go away.
not on this. ive tried that thinking at first it was. i tried full tanks, 1/2 tanks, fuel light on....didnt matter. its only ONCE that it thunks and gas doesnt stop after going one way, we would get a thunk atleast twice with a fluid. i can move at a snails pace and stop and it will do it or from 50 mph to a coasting stop. once you stop about 1/2 second later its a methodical thump. exactly at the same time each time . it FEELS like its the driveshaft is engaging for a split second causing the pinion to slap the ring. just VERY annoying. sometimes its realllllllllly loud,and you feel it in the floorboard, sometimes its very faint. i can roll 5 feet and it will do it, over and over....its not the fuel sloshing around. something is engaging the trans output shaft for a split second, OR its something to do with the ABS system/Traction control locking the diff or brake system.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #58
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsc View Post
I already told you what the problems is... It's the gas in the tank moving back and forth. My 2000 Dodge Dakota did the same thing. Fill your tank and then drive it and you won't hear it again until the tank gets to about 3/4 full.
I wish this was the case.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #59
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
add me to the list.

I believe it IS the slip yoke clunk on mine.

auto v6 , deaver leafs, has a TRD locker rear in it now, cleaned and adjusted drums.

It's not the a/c lurch ( I do have that tho)

but after a stop, usually from 20 MPH and up , as soon as I let off the brake
I get a thump.
When I had my trans serviced at 80k miles it did go away for a few days, but I just live with it.
It's like a game I play when in traffic. Can I stop without my clunk this time?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #60
Newby
ec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedec8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ec8's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried what I posted back in September of last year earlier up in this thread? "I tried the 1st gen fix buddywh1 was referring to, the helper spring mod, but didn't use the spring, just the ubolt clamp. Has fixed my problem with the limited testing I did, was annoying, now gone. For now it was $17.99 and 30 minutes well spent." Have not had the annoying clunk since then, maybe once or twice in 8 months when I come to a really fast emergency kind of stop, but that's it. I've talked to people with after market leafs and that typically makes it go away for a while but then comes back, what would it hurt to try this? I was very skeptical but it worked for me.

Products Discussed in this Thread