Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

clunk at stop light

Old 06-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
clunk at stop light

when ever im driving down the road and i stop at a light/ stop sign the car will be stopped for about 5 sec and then the (transmission??) will clunk. what i think it is, is the truck shifting into first gear late when the truck is already stopped, or....??? any ideas? anyone?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
axle wrap
Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Tacoma TRD Sport is on a distinguished road
Tacoma TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
im new, what is axle wrap?? Mine does the same exact thing...theres noooo way its supposed to do that...there has to be some way to stop it from doing that....it is very annoying!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
It's the driveshaft. I had this same problem for the first 6 months. It's the slip yoke having to michnplay.

I bought my service advisor donuts and they replaced it for me. No more clunk.

Now if I can figure out the front suspension clunk...
Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Tacoma TRD Sport is on a distinguished road
Tacoma TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
whats weird is today i has 4 people in the truck including myself... an estimated 800+lbs and it didnt do the clunk!!! that tells me theres a way to fix it and toyota dealership is giving me the runaround...
Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
1st Lieutenant
Iceman.USAF is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Iceman.USAF's Tacoma Gallery
+1 mine does this as well.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
ChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightChompsterTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Chompster
ChompsterTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My new 2010 truck did it since day one. Either the ac compressor kicks in with a major grunt seriously I have sat in the truck while in drive with ac running and occasionally it kicks in hard or something wierd is happening with rear axle. Alittle sad but still like my truck.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
just had the rear axle replaced today and its still doin it
The name, "axle wrap", is a little misleading. It has very little to do with the axle, and everything (imho) to do with the weak rear leafs that Toyota uses. I don't know that this is w/o doubt your problem...but it sounds like axle wrap to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma TRD Sport View Post
im new, what is axle wrap?? Mine does the same exact thing...theres noooo way its supposed to do that...there has to be some way to stop it from doing that....it is very annoying!
See pic and link below...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ns-shifts.html
Old 06-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
function > form

747's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not up-to-speed on the 2nd Gen TSB...AALs will give you a rough ride (I've heard)...leafs are expensive. I'd wait for some other 2nd Gen'ers to chime in.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A longer AAL, like the ones Toytec sell, will help the problem without making the ride too stiff. The TSB will also help eliminate this issue.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
My alternative to the harsh ride from an AAL was to add the bottom leaf of a 2 leaf pack. Some time with an angle grinder is all you need to seperate it from the top leaf and get is ready to be added.

My truck now has a great feel, not bouncy or sloshy, and no more wrap. Gave a solid 2.5" of lift which was not what I wanted, but now am pretty pleased with as well as gave me a great deal more load capacity.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
ive got the same problem!!! i have the readylift leveling kit on my truck with the 1 inch AAL in the back!!! im still wondering wtf it is!?!?!!?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
The Forcer
Sforza will become famous soon enoughSforza will become famous soon enough

Name: Rich
Sforza's Tacoma Gallery
I get the clunk sometimes at red lights but I just have learned to live with it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Guys, this is not axle wrap. The OP said it happens like 5 seconds after the truck is stopped. Mine does the same thing. I think it's the transmission or engine. Kind of like when you let go of the gas puddle, the engine switches the injectors off and it slows down your truck. This is kind of similar to that, only sitting idle.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #18
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post
Guys, this is not axle wrap. The OP said it happens like 5 seconds after the truck is stopped. Mine does the same thing. I think it's the transmission or engine. Kind of like when you let go of the gas puddle, the engine switches the injectors off and it slows down your truck. This is kind of similar to that, only sitting idle.
exactly! and it doesnt seem like its coming from the rear end...and it doesnt do it every single time maybe 1/4- 1/2 the time
Old 07-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
O.C. is on a distinguished road

O.C.'s Tacoma Gallery
My 08 DC OR has a thump from the brakes some times from a rolling stop. Almost feels like the brakes aren't in sync. Anyone?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #20
beelzebubrw is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
beelzebubrw's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same thing, I absolutly think it is the transmission. Mine has done it when slowing down to turn and when I step on the gas to accelerate does like a neutral drop.