Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #122
jimbo06 is on a distinguished road

Name: jim
jimbo06's Tacoma Gallery
sweet i like it
Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #124
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaToyTaco
What lights do you have behind your satoshi? Hella 500 or 700?
The lights behind the grill are Hella 500 Fogs with Smoke Lenses. They're Temporary and will be relocated to the hang from the top bar of the lightbar. I have Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magics to mount behind the Satoshi, but there's a bit of modifying needed, as they won't fit with the Tranny Cooler. The 1000's are the same dimensions as the 700's, I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii
Yeeeah sorry dude, didnt see all the huublaah about your anti-pmming you til after i did. Major props for the grille (+ rep), i assume you have a post up on your lights/ mounts also?
Only did Write-Ups on the Emblem and Relocating the Horns. The Satoshi, Lights, and Light Bars are incidental.
Didn't Write them up or document them as the are well covered elsewhere in the forum.
If I ever get around to a build page, I may elaborate on them more.
Guess I don't need to answer the Light Question now.
But the mounting:
The Visible Bar in front of the Bumper is an AVID Light Bar from avidoffroad.com found here. Powder Coated to match.
Very impressed with the product and more impressed with the company.
Brandon, the owner, has an ongoing discount on the Light Bar for TW members (last I knew).
The Lights behind the Satoshi are mounted on an "ELUSIVE ELEMENTS Light Bar" found here

CC
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #125
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Questions answered in Post above

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinejohn
Can you show/tell me how you mounted your grill lights?
Refer to Last Line in 2nd Answer in Post above

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoyBlue
Hi, been browsing this site reading and searching for info... I am planning on the Satoshi grille mod with lights behind the grille and was curious what lights you have behind yours? I really like your set up, light size as well as spacing. I've come across some comments about guys recommending the Hella 500s.

Hoping you could give me the scoop on your lights: brand, size, where you purchased if possible, and maybe a short review (am I pushing my luck??). I found the Hella 500s on Amazon for $65 shipped.

Thanks a lot for any info you could give me.

~Mike
Refer 1st Answer in Post above
Bought @ Amazon for about $65 IIRC
No review, Temp Install, Incomplete

CC
Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #126
SeniorSpan will become famous soon enoughSeniorSpan will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 30 Yrs Logistics and Intel
Name: Bob
SeniorSpan's Tacoma Gallery
Cape Codder,

Great thread, your efforts are appreciated. I do like the Satoshi paint scheme variation; painting the "depth" ring the same color as the truck, most seem to use flat black and I followed right along. As my Tacoma is silver I'm in the process of a rebuild/repaint.

I followed your letter paint scheme, but am now considering increasing the depth of the letters by adding a 1/8 - 1/4 inch by using some scrap grille plastic behind each one. A "byproduct" of increasing the letter depth should result in a little more flexibility in attaching mounting hardware. If it works out I'll post a few pics.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

Cheers

Bob
Old 11-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #127
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSpan View Post
Cape Codder,

Great thread, your efforts are appreciated. I do like the Satoshi paint scheme variation; painting the "depth" ring the same color as the truck, most seem to use flat black and I followed right along. As my Tacoma is silver I'm in the process of a rebuild/repaint.

I followed your letter paint scheme, but am now considering increasing the depth of the letters by adding a 1/8 - 1/4 inch by using some scrap grille plastic behind each one. A "byproduct" of increasing the letter depth should result in a little more flexibility in attaching mounting hardware. If it works out I'll post a few pics.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

Cheers

Bob
That's a great idea, Bob.
I assume the intent is to increase the thickness of the letters, to be able to tap more threads to secure them.
It's a shame the Emblem is not cheaper or one could buy two, separate the letters and double the thickness by epoxying each of them back to back.
Each letter is the same shape looking from the front or the back.
My fastening procedure has held up fine for almost a year and a half.
Though that's only about 5,000 miles and no off roading.
But nothing has loosened at all.
The epoxy holds the thread far better than the plastic, I would guess.
And the rubber washers between the mesh and the letters adds just enough cushioning and pressure, keeping everything tight.
My theory anyway.

A lot of people don't notice the Color Matched Grill Surround, but wonder "What's Different" (like this Post)
Having bought the TRD Sport which is all color matched, I thought is was a good idea and blended in with the "Subtle Look" I was going for.

Always like hearing from someone who has made use of the write-up.
Take some pictures of the backs of the letters before you mount them to post with the pics you mentioned above.
Looking forward to hear how you make out, and the pics

Good Luck
CC
Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #128
WVUtacoma is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 130th Aerial Port Operations - 130th LRS/APO
Name: Jeremy
WVUtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Cool nice.

sub'd

(I'm going to do this)
Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #130
1rider is on a distinguished road
1rider's Tacoma Gallery
Capecodder,

I was wondering what you used to cut the letters? Both the insides of the O and A and also the outside of the O?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #131
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rider View Post
Capecodder,

I was wondering what you used to cut the letters? Both the insides of the O and A and also the outside of the O?

Thanks!
The inside of the "A" & "O" are describe in Post #60
The outside of the "O" is just like the other letters.
Cut it as close as possible with a Dremel, Coping Saw, Hacksaw or tool of choice,
then file to shape, maintaining the Bevel, and sand to smooth.
Not difficult, just tedious and time consuming.

CC
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #132
Tacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant future
Name: Terry
Tacozoid's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet work, and the paint job is off the hinges!
Nice job Codda.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #134
Native Son

Update

Thought I post a quick update.
The question came up, early on, regarding how my letter fastening system was holding up over time.
It's now been over 2 years and none of the screws have loosened, none of the letters have moved

I did have 2 of the epoxied screws, holding the mesh to the grill surround, fail a last winter.
Clarification, the epoxy failed, but the Mesh stayed in place.
No biggie, they were 2 on the drivers side of the grill, and I'll get around to reattaching them.

CC
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #135
Deadcrowm is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Name: Mike
Deadcrowm's Tacoma Gallery
Where you ever afraid of drilling or screwing through the letters? Any cracking? Just seem like there's not enough plastic to hold...
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #136
Native Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcrowm View Post
Where you ever afraid of drilling or screwing through the letters? Any cracking? Just seem like there's not enough plastic to hold...
Short Answers: No and No

Longer Answers in Post #43

Excerpt from Post #43:
"The Letters are Approximately 3/16" Thick, Including the Epoxy.
The Screw Penetrates the Epoxy and Into the Plastic of the Letter.
I Drilled the Letters On a Drill Press, With a Travel Stop, As Deep Is I Could Without Penetrating the Letter's Surface.
I Used a 4-40 Bottoming Tap, To Thread To the Bottom of The Hole, Again Without Penetrating.
4-40 Screws Have 40 Threads Per Inch, Therefore I Was Able to Get About Six Threads in Each Hole."

The Drill Press with Travel Stop is key. Tapping is by hand and you can feel and watch the face of the letters.
You are drilling thru epoxy in addition to the plastic.
The epoxy is pretty tough. I had some minor cracking of the epoxy around a few holes.
If you were to drill or tap thru the front of the letter, you can fill it with epoxy, sand it, and paint it.
I was painting it black anyway, but it would be an issue if you wanted to use the factory white finish.
I did end up with a couple unnoticeable bumps from getting close to penetrating the face.

Been 2 1/2 Year with no problems

(Link to a screw cutter, similar to the one referred to in Post #43
Prob $10 for a cheap one an $20-$25 for a good one)

Hope that helps

CC

Old 12-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #137
Keep It Wild. KCCO
WildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
WildLand's Tacoma Gallery
Hey! I really appreciate this write up and I've read through it many times (and all the other peoples comments too and everything was covered). I'm going to attempt to do this to my 00 Taco. I've caught the mod bug after looking over all these threads and hopefully this will be a good one to start off! I'll be sure to post pictures and what not when I eventually get it done
Old 12-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #138
SeniorSpan will become famous soon enoughSeniorSpan will become famous soon enough
G'day all,

As modified grilles go (Satoshi) innovation and persistence tend to yield great results. It's my humble opinion the efforts by Cape Codder (grille, bumper guard, and light) are a great look combo and really stand out.

I jumped in, of course. The first effort was just a GrilleCraft grille and no lights or letters. That was OK and gave me time to do a TOYOTA Satoshi, on a purchased unpainted grille.

I then thought TOYOTA letters, with more depth, would stand out a little more.. I did get the letters finished but got side tracked by the forum.

As several comments regarding the less plastic used in the 2011 grilles vs. 2010 and older I kinda took that as a challenge. So......took the GrilleCraft off the 2011 grille used it as a guide to build up the back of the 2011 grille, and then reinstall the GrilleCraft grille on the back of the plastic assy and added some TACOMA letters I constructed while fiberglass and bondo were drying.
Not sure just how thrilled I am with the results yet, but admit it's different and most likely the only one like it in Colorado.

Cheers

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Brilliant !!! Satoshi Emblem Answer: Converted into Mod Write-Up W/ Pics-dsc_0001grille.jpg   Brilliant !!! Satoshi Emblem Answer: Converted into Mod Write-Up W/ Pics-p1010001.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #139
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSpan View Post
G'day all,

As modified grilles go (Satoshi) innovation and persistence tend to yield great results. It's my humble opinion the efforts by Cape Codder (grille, bumper guard, and light) are a great look combo and really stand out.

I jumped in, of course. The first effort was just a GrilleCraft grille and no lights or letters. That was OK and gave me time to do a TOYOTA Satoshi, on a purchased unpainted grille.

I then thought TOYOTA letters, with more depth, would stand out a little more.. I did get the letters finished but got side tracked by the forum.

As several comments regarding the less plastic used in the 2011 grilles vs. 2010 and older I kinda took that as a challenge. So......took the GrilleCraft off the 2011 grille used it as a guide to build up the back of the 2011 grille, and then reinstall the GrilleCraft grille on the back of the plastic assy and added some TACOMA letters I constructed while fiberglass and bondo were drying.
Not sure just how thrilled I am with the results yet, but admit it's different and most likely the only one like it in Colorado.

Cheers

Bob
Dude that TACOMA looks BAD ASS! How did you do those letters?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #140
The positive comments are appreciated, thanks.

As I'm one who hates it when all the info is not provided, I apologize for not including the following:

The letters: I found, using graph paper, the letters needed to be appro 3 7/8" wide and 2 3/4" high to span a distance of 25 1/2". I had some scrap 1/4" plexiglass from another project and cut the letters from that, ensuring uniform height and width. I used a dremel, hand saw and small files to cut and sand the insides of the O and A letters. I elected to curve the ends but not necessary. The raw letters were full sanded front and back, primed and painted. Finished with a few coats of clear. I did not prime or paint the backs as I used clear RTV to mount the letters on the GrilleCraft grille. I kept the RTV at minimum in case I wanted to remove the letters at a later date. The grille has been on the truck for about 6 months; rough road, 4 wheeling, altitude (14,000 feet, Mt Antero) summer and winter temps have not dislodged the letters.

All in all a fairly easy project. Most time spent was ensuring the letters were square and sides straight and smooth.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bob

Products Discussed in this Thread