Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Billy 5100s

Old 06-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
mclapperton is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mclapperton's Tacoma Gallery
Billy 5100s

I'm going to be installing 5100s on my '08 prerunner access cab for leveling purposes. I've had the rear leaf TSB done and was wondering what setting would work the best. I was thinking the 1.85" setting to bring the front up level with the back. Any input is greatly appreciated. And a stupid question:is an alignment really that necessary? I just hate having other people work on my stuff. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the rear TSB done, I would say 1.75 will be the setting most likely to bring you level. And yes, post lift alignment is very necessary.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #4

Thanks man.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
There are several threads on this already, but Brett is right. Here's how it will look with 1.75" up front and the rear tsb.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
tacodawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
tacodawg's Tacoma Gallery
5100's

Are you guys doing the replacement yourselves? I thought you needed a special tool to compress the springs.. I just got the TSB done and thinking about the shocks also.. Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
Would the setting it change if you also get the rear shocks as well as the ToyTec AAL (while already having the TSB)
Toytec makes an AAL specifically for trucks with the TSB. If you get that, I'd recommend setting the Billy's at 2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacodawg View Post
Are you guys doing the replacement yourselves? I thought you needed a special tool to compress the springs.. I just got the TSB done and thinking about the shocks also.. Thanks
It's not too hard to do it yourself. Most auto parts stores will loan you a spring compressor for a small deposit. I installed my own with a friend and it took us about 3 hours.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #9

That looks perfect. Nice and level. I'm gonna pick up some spring compressors this weekend from harbor freight. I just ordered the shocks last night so I'll probably install them the weekend after next. I swapped shocks on my '98 taco and the '08 appears to have the same setup. Thanks for the pics and advice.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #10
Mom's gonna fix it all soon
outbacker is on a distinguished road
outbacker's Tacoma Gallery
I had my dealer install my front 5100s when they did the rear leaf TSB, to take advantage of the free alignment that comes with the TSB. They originally wanted $270 for the 5100 installation but I offered $200 and they agreed.

I set my 5100s at .85 to account for rear settling. I didn't want to take a chance on being nose high. At .85 with the TSB, it's about 1" higher all around and basically has the stock rake.

Other than installing the 5100 spring perch upside down on one side, which I immediately caught and they fixed, it turned out great.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Yes you NEED an alignment after any lift in the front!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
I installed mine myself with a friend too, and it also took us about 3 hours. I used a rented spring compressor from Autozone, which was free after I returned it, as they fully refund the rental deposit upon return.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
I installed mine myself with a friend too, and it also took us about 3 hours. I used a rented spring compressor from Autozone, which was free after I returned it, as they fully refund the rental deposit upon return.
Oh REALLY? Oh, that explains why the guy told me it was like $50 to rent it. They basically charge you the purchase price. Ahhhh .. but you get it BACK ... AHHHHHHHHHHH!
I'm so stupid sometimes lol
Old 06-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
Oh REALLY? Oh, that explains why the guy told me it was like $50 to rent it. They basically charge you the purchase price. Ahhhh .. but you get it BACK ... AHHHHHHHHHHH!
I'm so stupid sometimes lol
Not stupid at all. The guy at Kragen told me it's free. You pay $45 to purchase it and then return it. But it is a used part that they mark for renting it out. Basically a security deposit. However, the third time I borrowed it, he didn't ring it up at all because it kills their sales figures (since it's a return).