Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grill Removal and Paint

Old 06-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
polansky568 is on a distinguished road
polansky568's Tacoma Gallery
Question Grill Removal and Paint

Well hey there

Got a couple questions. I've got myself a black '09. I'm planning on removing my grill tomorrow morning and giving her a black paint job. First question is this: I scoped it out, and it looks like its 2 screws and 4 tabs to remove. Is there anything tricky about it or what are we looking at? Is it simple or complex?

Second: My plan is to roll on over to pepboys and purchase a can of krylon fusion black paint, and then krylons clear coat paint. It claims on the can that priming/sanding is not necessary. Is this true or not? Is it really as easy as that? or would you recommend another company.

Finally, am i making the right decision. I am yet to see black with the black stock grill and in my head, it looks great. But there has been a few things my head glorifies and when I do it, it does not look great.

Let me know! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
l_prettyman has a spectacular aura aboutl_prettyman has a spectacular aura about
Name: Logan
l_prettyman's Tacoma Gallery
2 screws and 2 tabs to remove. screws are obviously placed and tabs are to the far left and right of the grill. once those are removed pull straight up on the grill assembly with...eh quite a bit of force and its off. also being a chrome grill i would same with a 400 grit, just to be 100% sure you got the job done the first time
Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_prettyman View Post
2 screws and 2 tabs to remove. screws are obviously placed and tabs are to the far left and right of the grill. once those are removed pull straight up on the grill assembly with...eh quite a bit of force and its off. also being a chrome grill i would same with a 400 grit, just to be 100% sure you got the job done the first time
Thanks you sir. So, is there any way to screw up the removal of the grill?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by polansky568 View Post
Thanks you sir. So, is there any way to screw up the removal of the grill?
No, just pull up after removing the two plastic holders and two metal screws, it is really easy.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
When you pull up, pull from the bottom and pull up one side at a time 'carefully' but forcefully. That's about the only caution I would air.

As for the color question... any black is better than the ghetto chrome right? Worst case senario: go down to the dealer and pay $230 for a color matched Black Sand Pearl (or take yours to a shop for matching).
Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Get some adhesion promoter or self-etching primer so the paint will stick better to the chrome...then you'll be good to go.

I painted some chrome mirror covers and used the adhesion promoter first (after light sanding) and they have help up fine for a year now.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
When you pull up, pull from the bottom and pull up one side at a time 'carefully' but forcefully. That's about the only caution I would air.

As for the color question... any black is better than the ghetto chrome right? Worst case senario: go down to the dealer and pay $230 for a color matched Black Sand Pearl (or take yours to a shop for matching).
Alright thanks. Any black cant be that off from the black sand pearl right? To the point where it wouldnt really be noticeable?