1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD cold air intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by murphypowers, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Jun 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    murphypowers

murphypowers [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    western ma.
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma trd sport
    weather tech floor mats
    I'm thinking about buying one and was wondering if it realy helps. I searched the forums and can't find much.

2. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    What are you looking to get out of it? HP, sound etc....? I have one and i love it!!:D

3. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    it will give you some HP/TQ...you can gain some MPG but that's if you can stay off the throttle...cause the TRD CAI roars...lol

either way just do it...you'll love it...I love mines...:D

this is mines with a detailed engine bay...
    [​IMG]

4. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    i call BS in that statement, there is all kinds of info about it!:D

pros: slightly more power (at least in my but dyno), quite until you get to about 3.5k,then its on!!, is a true CAI as it take air from the fender area, others you found searching...

cons: noisy (if thats a problem for you), does realitively the same thing as stock, slight loss of low end torque (some say).

my personal experience is that i picked up one used and added it after i installed my used TRD exhaust. this combo gives the truck some nice pull when merging on the fwy! not really into the driving all crazy around town, so dont really notice anything there.

difference is in the higher RPMS, so if your not driving in this powerband, its really useless. i personally would not pay much more than $100 for it, but since i got it used to use in conjunction w/ my $25 used TRD exhaust, i figured why not!

5. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    murphypowers

murphypowers [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    western ma.
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma trd sport
    weather tech floor mats
    thanks guys!!!

6. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    you don't lose low end torque with a TRD CAI...or any other CAI for that matter...

7. Jun 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    that's odd...seeing as AFE designed the TRD CAI...are you sure you weren't getting any leaks? that can cause the MAF to read as if there wasn't enough air flowing into the engine and makes the ECU lean out the fuel to compensate for that...

honestly I'm not quite sure how or why your intake caused a loss in power and mpg...but I can honestly say that I gained HP/TQ and have also gained 2-3 MPG...

only intake I know of that caused the 1GR-FE motor to run lean is the Volant CAI...

8. Jun 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    JB3CK24

JB3CK24 Return to the 36 Chambers

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SD, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 TRD, 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    Exactly what I went through with the TRD CAI.

Mine sounded like ass... My BMWs with Intakes sounded amazing. I didn't gain any power and I got the worst tanks (MPG).

Put an AFE Pro Dry S Drop in and put the stock box back on, couldn't be happier.

Waste of $.

Products Discussed in

To Top