1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I. Want. Lift. So let's lift it.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BBiggs, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Jun 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I've been in your shoes as little as 3 weeks ago. I ordered a ToyTec (vendor on this board) lift kit for my 2010 after I learned the lingo and knew what I wanted. Actually, I ordered it before I knew exactly what I ordered, but I caught up ;)
    The kit came in last week and hasn't been installed.

It's not that hard once you start reading about it.

5100's: Model of billstein shocks that replace your original shocks (OEM shocks). There are adjustable shocks for your front wheels that allow you to lift up to 2.5", and non-adjustable shocks for the rear that only improve your ride quality but offer no lift.

AAL or Add-A-Leaf: A metal leaf added to your arch spring leafs underneath your truck bed. The extra leaf can be 1.5" or 2", and will directly lift your back that much.

Spacers: You can add spacers (stationary metal objects) to your leafs and (front) shocks. They too will add to your height by a couple of inches. However, spacers can infringe on your ride quality since they prohibit the full operation of your shocks.

2. Jun 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    boss1041

boss1041 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    valdosta, georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 6 speed trd or, 95 auto
  3. Jun 27, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    I'm thinking 5100's all 4 corners, you probably want them set at 1.75 or maybe even 2.5 (since you want it to look "badass") if you aren't gonna be towing or regularly hauling heavy loads and an AAL kit out back.

I highly doubt you'd qualify for the TSB leaf springs (4 leaf pack replaced by Toyota as a post production fix for the wimpy 3 leaf springs that came on many early trucks) since this truck isn't even close to stock anymore.

Can't tell from your pics how many leafs you already have.

4. Jun 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    BBiggs

BBiggs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Access Cab
    I just got it!
    I'm thinking that, too. 5100s at the front for sure, likely have to get some better coils, though too, right? LIke 5100s with stock coils might damage the coils, correct?

And then just AALs in the back with some new shocks for smoother ride quality.

I just don't wanna get too deep in this project and realize there's a bunch more things I've gotta do, like after getting lift I'll probably need new UCA's, and then new boots and then something else I'm sure. Is that all correct?

5. Jun 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's are specifically designed for use with the stock springs.

6. Jun 28, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Is it just a bad picture angle or are your front axles going uphill to your wheels? Looks weird in that pic.

Cheapest, easiest route for a lift is an AAL (add-a-leaf) and 5100's. You'll need an alignment after the install of the front shocks. Aside from the cost of a jack and jack stands, if you buy any necessary tools and do everything but the alignment yourself, you'll probably be out of pocket for less than $500 (with tax/shipping: $300 for shocks, $95 for AAL, and $80 alignment).

Products Discussed in

To Top