Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear axle locking up?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Rear axle locking up?

So yesterday, I was pulling my boat out of the water, the ramp had a lot of wet sand that had accumulated all morning and my rear tires spun when I tried to pull up the ramp, so I put it in 4wd once I was up the ramp, put it back in 2wd. All was fine, later when I got around to unhooking the trailer to head out somewhere, the truck wouldn't move. Made sure I wasn't being stupid and still had the e-brake on, which it wasn't. I put it in 4wd again, and the front wheels moved the truck but I noticed both back wheels wouldn't spin and were just dragging in the grass as the front wheels pulled the truck. Quickly stopped, when I put it back in 2wd, I heard a loud clunk in the back, and the rear wheels moved fine then. And everything has seemed fine since. Any idea what the issue was? Haven't had that happen before in the year I had the truck.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I would keep switching 4hi and 2hi to see if i will happen again and if not you are good to go.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
do you have the rear diff breather mod done?

also, did the rear axle get submerged while pulling your boat out

this sounds like you got water in you rear diff and destroyed/wrecked it...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
^Possible, also e-brakes do stick once in a while. But his theory sounds better.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
change your rear diff fluid... before you do anything else.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
X2, check wheel bearings also
Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No rear diff breather mod. And no the axle didn't get submerged. An inch high on the rear tires is the most I let the water touch the truck when I'm putting the boat in or out.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Then e-brake may have stuck, or brakes in general if they were hot and rapidly cooled when submerged
Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
I would still change out the differential fluid. I have seen many a Jeep rear ends messed up for this exact same reason.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
problem is the drum brakes, not with the differential. not only tacomas, but other trucks will lock up if you get the inside of the drums wet by submerging them into water. The brake dust inside the drum acts almost like glue if you get it wet and let it sit. If tacoma came with rear disk brakes then this wouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers

I hope it's just the brakes being stupid and not the differential preparing to grenade haha.

Also important to note that my brakes did start squealing at times ever since I started using the truck for the boat a month ago.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the rear brakes locking up. Where I fish I sometimes have to put all four tires in the water to launch and when I come back after fishing my brakes will occasionally make all sorts of noises for a bit before the rust/grime is gone. I had them lock up once too. I freaked for a little bit before I thought about the rear brakes not releasing and rusting to the drum.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Carry a ball pein hammer