1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

reviews on a Tonneau cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by fubar718, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Jul 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    fubar718

fubar718 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab, TRD offroad
    I have a 2010 Tacoma double cab, short bed. Looking for a soft tonneau cover. any ideas? Thinking about going with a Extang RT tonno! anyone have one?

2. Jul 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    personally I have an access tonneau, it's worked great for me so far (about 3 months now). Stays dry in the bed if you install the tailgate seal and you can't beat the price from the link on tacomaworld for special tacoma pricing (can't remember his name right now, or the company. But if you search you can find it.

3. Jul 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Doublecab TRD Sport Debadged
    Camburg 4" Spindles, Icon CB 2.5 adjustables front and rear, Total Chaos Upper/Lower CAs, Alcan 5" Rear Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, 5" SS Brakelines, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" KMC Monsters, Grill Craft Black Mesh Upper, Predator Running Boards, All Pro Rear Bumper and Hitch, Wet Okole Covers, Toyota Roof Rack, Limo Tint, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Mats, Redline Hood Struts, Red Top Odyssey battery, BDF Light Bar, Foglight anytime Mod, Lo Pro QT Truxedo Tonneau cover, Rocky Mount Bike Pegs.
    I have the Truxedo Lo Pro QT and I think it looks super sharp. I am very impressed with the fit and style and would definitely recommend it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jul 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Access and Truxedo will likely be in your finalist list. I have an Access L/E and love it. I can keep using my bed rails and cleats, it's rock-solid and very easily rolled up/down depending on what I need.

For the Access L/E install you temporarily remove the side bed rails to install spacers behind them to make room for the mounting points. This does move the bed rails 2" (1" on each side) closer together. I am not sure if you have to do this for the Truxedo. At first I thought this was going to be a problem for me since I have a cargo bed divider... but at it took was a little work with a hacksaw to neatly trim the ends of the divider and it still works great. My Access L/E fits far enough over the bed divider so I can use them both at the same time... a big plus when making runs to pick up heavy and light things (think paving bricks and bags of dirt/mulch). I can put the cargo divider in the middle so the bricks don't puncture the bags and still roll the cover all the way down.

I've heard multiple people rave about both covers... you'll likely find a bunch searching here. I can't say enough good things about my Access L/E. Very clean looking, lets me keep using my rails, impervious to both heat and cold (I've been in 110ºF and 10ºF with 36" of snow on top of it). Lays flat but doesn't flap or "boom" with the wind. Highly recommended!

Side view... it does sit higher than some but that's what allows me to keep using my bed rails and cargo bed divider.

[​IMG]

You can see the mounting rails along each side in this picture as well as the cargo divider keeping the aforementioned bricks and dirt separated.

[​IMG]

5. Jul 5, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Use the search feature my friend - top blue bar towards the right side.

Lots of information already out there at your fingertips!!
    I have an Access Torza top (tri-fold soft)

6. Jul 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    fubar718

fubar718 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab, TRD offroad
    Do you still have the deck rails and cleats installed under there on both sides?

7. Jul 5, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I have the Extang Tuff Tonneau cover and no problems so far.;) Its not the priciest as the other ones but its still good quality I think.
    [​IMG]

8. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    Iceman.USAF

Iceman.USAF El Capitan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Wrangler Unlimited
    I have a tri-folder by Rugged Cover. It's pretty awesome so far (only ~2 weeks old!). I was wary of the tri-fold to begin with as I didn't want to lose 1/3 of my bed space. However this sucker uses the built in rail system to mount/unmount in <1 minute. So if you need that extra 2' of space you can just take it off and set it aside or let it lay in the bed.

No pics yes, unfortunately!

9. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    MMOCGuy

MMOCGuy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4wd
    I have had Extang tonneau covers on two of my last 3 trucks (The 3rd one had a shell on it).

Personally, I swear by Extang. They are great people to do business with if you have a warranty issue and, at least in both my cases, the tonneau fit perfectly and was easy to install.

My current truck is a 2009 Access cab with the "Standard" bed. I have the Extang FULLTILT hinged soft tonneau. I have the option of removing the cover entirely while still attached to its frame (Which takes about 30 seconds and I can do it by myself) or I can unsnap the cover itself all the way around and roll it up behind the cab and lash it in a roll. If I remove it entirely it also only takes about 30 seconds to reinstall when I'm done moving cargo. When mounted, the soft tonneau sits on an aluminum frame and is hinged at the front, To raise it, you open the tailgate and unlock the cover then simply lift the back and two gas charged struts hold it open. To close, simply reverse the process. As an aside, I've had several compliments on the cover.

I hope this helps.

Norm.

10. Jul 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    bigcoffinhunter

bigcoffinhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    My current one is a Lund, 3 fold soft tonneau. I love it, it goes on and off easily with a couple simple clamps that connect to the bedrails.

My 02 had a tonneau masters snap-on. I would never recommend a snap on to anyone! In the winter it shrinks so you CANNOT put it on without vice grips, bloody knuckles, and 45 minutes of swearing.

11. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    MMOCGuy

MMOCGuy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4wd
    bigcoffinhunter raises a good point here about snap on covers. I didn't think about addressing it until I saw his post. My Extang FULLTILT has snaps but Extang has designed it so that the snaps and bows are adjustable for winter and summer. It is a "Piece-of cake" to work with.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

12. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Doublecab TRD Sport Debadged
    Camburg 4" Spindles, Icon CB 2.5 adjustables front and rear, Total Chaos Upper/Lower CAs, Alcan 5" Rear Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, 5" SS Brakelines, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" KMC Monsters, Grill Craft Black Mesh Upper, Predator Running Boards, All Pro Rear Bumper and Hitch, Wet Okole Covers, Toyota Roof Rack, Limo Tint, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Mats, Redline Hood Struts, Red Top Odyssey battery, BDF Light Bar, Foglight anytime Mod, Lo Pro QT Truxedo Tonneau cover, Rocky Mount Bike Pegs.
    You actually install three Truxedo brackets in the Toyota bed rails on each side and the cleats can be installed in between. The cleats can still be used but have limited mobility due to the Truxedo brackets having been installed there. I still have my factory cleats installed in the rails without any modification.

13. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    MMOCGuy

MMOCGuy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4wd
    With the Extang FULLTILT you retain the cleats and rails. The only issue is that the side cleats have to be installed all the way to the rear of the rails. I have m four cleats mounted two the front rail (One at each end) and one each at the rear of the siderails on each side. They seem to work well in those positions. I also intalled two of the bed "D" rings at the front-sides of the bed floor so I have four "D" rings in the bed floor. With this combination, I do not have any problems at all tying down cargo.

Hope this helps

Norm.

14. Jul 5, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    myfirsttacoma

myfirsttacoma New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    NE Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5
    None Yet
    +1 on the tri fold by rugged cover. This thing goes on and off so fast its like its not even there. Has been in a few downpours and has never leaked, plus its got a good price.

15. Jul 5, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've got an EFX trifold. It folds up to open 2/3rds of the bed in 5 seconds, and I can take the whole cover off in about 30 seconds.

[​IMG]

16. Jul 5, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I'm also looking for tonneau: the first thin I found was there's various types to eliminate first. Soft or hard? then... one piece, fold-up or roll-up (for soft only, obviously).

I personally like the tri-fold soft tonneaus because hard are much more expensive and the tri-fold lets me fold it back only as much as I need to accomodate tall things, and are easy to keep tight over the frame.

Would like also to hear some from people about the best, but price IS a consideration!

17. Jul 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    That was the deciding factor that kept me from getting a Truxedo. I knew I was going to get the cargo bed divider and would need to slide it from front to back multiple times a week. I thought about other after-market dividers but they were mostly fugly and twitchy so I went with the Toyota version.

18. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Got Advantage TorzaTop and no issues so far. I did extensive testing with carwashes and rain/snow storms: Full Review Here w/ Pics

[​IMG]

19. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Extang Tuff Tonneau III

20. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I love my Access LE. Would definitely buy it again.

Products Discussed in

To Top