1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Westin Bull Bar Bull S*#t

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jammdogg, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    jammdogg

jammdogg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    OK,
    So I bought a Westin Bull Bar from AutoAnything, good price, free set of lights,.

Came in yesterday, pretty poor instructions. Says to remove the existing 10mm bolts for the mounting bracket. Try 16mm. Really have to focus on a small picture to see how this thing goes on.

After mounting the bracket with no issues, I put the bar on the bracket with the 4 nuts and bolts provided. Finger tight, so I could ensure it was even. Began tightening one by one. As soon as they hit the lock washer, every one of them cross-threaded. ALL OF THEM. :mad:

No I am more of a computer guy than a tool guy, but I really don't think I could accidentally cross-thread 4 of these things. When I finger tightened them, the all went on smooth and easy.

So how do I get these off?? They are stuck, and I need to get new bolts.

Appreciate the help.

James

2. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    Madtown Taco

Madtown Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 DC LB 4x4
    Gun Metal FJ Cruiser TRD Wheels, Black Head Lights, I-pod Patch Cable for Stock Head Unit, In-Cab 115V outlets, Aries Bull Bar, 12V outlets in Bed, Snug Top Super Sport Topper, Hard-Wired Valentine 1 Radar Detector, Disabled Automatic Air Conditioning for Windshield Vent Setting, Additional D-Rings in Bed, 12-Volt Pop-N-Lock Solenoid in Tailgate Handle, TRD Front Seat Covers, WeatherTech Floor Mats
    I'd use a Sawzall. Cut right through the whole bolt like butter. Plan on having an extra blade or two. Or use a small cutting wheel, like on a dremel and go after the nut. The Sawzall would be alot faster and less headache. If it starts to spin while you're cutting it have a buddy hold one end of the bolt with a vice-grip pliers or something like that while you cut through it. Good luck. You'll be fine.

I got the Aires bull bar. One look at the crappy included hardware and I knew I needed to "borrow" some better grade stainless steel nuts and bolts from work for the installation. :)

3. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    x2..A saw-zall or hacksaw with a metal blade will work. You can also be able to buy a cutting disc for your drill. Try posting some close up pics, we can assist you better..

Products Discussed in

To Top