1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Signature Series Tri-fold cover QUestion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jabrackin, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Jul 11, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    jabrackin

jabrackin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad
    If you have this cover, pm me .. I was wanting to ask a few questions. Thanks!

2. Jul 11, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    There's some pics in my build...let me know what questions you may have.

3. Jul 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    I am sorry if this is considered hijacking the thread, but I have questions too, and rather than start another thread I thought I'd add them here.

I can't tell from the Extang web site. Does the Trifecta attach to the oem track already on the Tacoma, or do you need to add some attach point thing to the top, or in place of the existing track?

If you have to add, is it drill and screw? Clamp? some mystical adhesive?
    Does it stay rain water tight? What about car wash water tight?
    Can you safely drive with one third flipped back? Like to haul something in the back?

4. Jul 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    1one1

1one1 addicted...

Member:
    First Name:
    Keone
    Eastside Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB Sport 4x4
    blk headlights, 6k hid's, blk grillcraft top n bottom, led taillights w/ smoked reverse, blk wet okoles, extang trifold cover, 265/70 duratracs, bilstien 5100 @ 2.5, 1.5" aal rear, spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, super white led interior lights, 2 JL 10" subs in custom box, alpine m-1000 amp, Pioneer 3200dvd head unit, husky floor liners, more to come...
    I have an extant trifold on my shortbed. All that's needed to attach it is the hardware provided and a couple of nuts used as a spacer. On the last panel closest to the bed there are c clips that attach to the facory bed rails and are tightened in place by a plAstic wing nut. For my cover I unscrewed the wing nut put another nut on the bolt as a spacer and put the wing nut back on. It holds really well and is excellent for easy removal and replacement.

5. Jul 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Since more than one person's interested, here's some info (note: I have an access cab)...

The tonneau is held down by 4 brackets that are bolted into the tie-down rail. It integrates nicely with the stock system without requiring drilling or the removal of the rail, which was a big selling point for me. The tonneau is latched into the two brackets nearest the cab (one for the left side, one for the right) by plastic wing nuts. They are pretty sturdy but easily removed if you need to remove it completely.

However, it folds up in thirds (hence the "trifecta" name) providing access to the back 2/3 of the bed. It is quick and easy to do because the back two brackets (nearest the tailgate) are simple spring-loaded latches. Once folded up, the tonneau is secured by clips. I've driven 7 hours with it folded up with no concern of it coming unlatched and flying in the wind.

In this pic you can see the tonneau rolled up. The plastic wing nuts are somewhat hidden behind the tiedown cleat, but you can see the bracket back by the tailgate.
    [​IMG]

This pic is demonstrating my bed lights, but you still get the idea... You can see the quick release latches near the tailgate. The one on the left is easiest to make out because it is reflecting some blue light.
    [​IMG]

I bought mine about 4 years ago and it is one of the best investments I've ever made. Very little water gets in, and it has to be a downpour or a car wash to even notice any bit of water in one of the corners. I even gained a little bit of gas mileage. This style is much more flexible than one of those single piece fiberglass covers that act like a big hatch back trunk. Also, the older/cheaper button down or velcro covers are impossible to stretch and seal up in the winter months.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

6. Jul 12, 2010 at 4:42 AM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    Appreciate the good answer and pics. Looks like my next pay-check is already spoke for.

7. Jul 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Same as larryd09... I have the signature series trifecta and I love it. It seals really well - I have no water problem. Adding a tailgate seal (comes with it if you buy from autoanything.com) completes the package. It's a great cover for the money and it comes with a 10 year guarantee!

8. Jul 12, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    Waverly

Waverly Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Hood protector Running boards Tonnuea cover
    I also have the extang trifecta. Looks great on the truck. You will not be disappointed

CusterFan likes this.
  9. Jul 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    I use tonneau tonic every time I get the truck washed. Helps protect it and keeps it looking good.

Products Discussed in

To Top