1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spark plug changes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by javataco, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    javataco

javataco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 4x4
    Ok I put a ton of miles on my Taco, 60,000 per year. I have not noticed any performance issues or mpg drop from not changing my plugs at 30,000per. I did on the first change but I have a couple thousand over on the second scheduled plug change. My question is how long have some of you went before changing the plugs in your truck. I do have the v-6 2009. I just dont see the need if my truck is running well.

Thank You!

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You wont notice the decrease over time.

3. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Mine had 42k in four years. They needed changed, but not excessivly worn.

I have run standard copper plugs in other vehicles that saw approx 30K or so a year. No problem getting 60k out of them.

If you are driving 60K a year mostly highway, I would expect you could go 80k or 90k without much trouble. But I would pull them out now if you have not already, take a look and see how worn they are. If they still look okay, figure on running the replacements farther.

Keep in mind, your emissions warranty covers the catalytic converters ($$$) for 8 years I believe. If you were to have a plug stop firing, and damage the cats with unburned fuel, Toyota would flip you the bird unless you can prove the plugs were changed at the specified interval. I would also be worried about gas washing the cylinder walls and hurting the engine if a plug stops firing.

If I were you I would pull them out now and see what you have. Make your decision based on what you see.

Products Discussed in

To Top