1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mixed review of the Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NAAC3TACO, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO [OP] Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
  2. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    Snobs! They wouldn't know a good truck if it ran them over.

3. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    :D

4. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Wow, they should compare the Tacoma to other in its class and then see how much they like it. They did make a good point about the powertrain not being updated to the current generation 4Runner.

5. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    TacoRan

TacoRan Well-Known Member

Member:
    ------
    Vehicle:
    -------
    Atleast they have some great photos.

6. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

haha I was thinking the same thing. At least it looked sexy while they were bashing it.

7. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
    Those idiots wouldn't know how to review a vehicle if their lives depended on it. I don't think there was one thing in that article that I agreed with.

8. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I like the truck they reviewed, but then I fell in love with the Speedway Blue color the first time I saw one in person.

While they seem overly critical (like they have a personal problem with Tacomas--maybe a rabid Frontier fan?), their conclusion is not something I disagree with:

If Toyota doesn't address at least those first two issues (I disagree with the third) I think they will see their competition, including full-size trucks, take away a lot of potential and current Tacoma owners. Look at the rumored Ecoboost F150...

9. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    HeliFreek

HeliFreek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    None, SOLD, too many problems for a new truck
    They did refer to it as a Taco a few times. They also called it a TR5, is this a new model?:)

Thats, OK though, I rarely use a site like that to judge how good vehicles I plan to buy are. I either talk to owners or go to a forum like this one.

10. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    The reviewer probably drives a '98 Hyundai

11. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    They also forgot to mention the amazing resale value of these trucks. My 2.5 year old truck is only worth a few thousand dollars less than I paid for it according to KBB.

12. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    HeliFreek

HeliFreek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    None, SOLD, too many problems for a new truck
    LOL, good one. I need to stop taking a drink when I read.
    Now I need a new keyboard. Keys will start sticking soooooooooooon.

14. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    TacoRan

TacoRan Well-Known Member

Member:
    ------
    Vehicle:
    -------
    I like Autoblog but this review is typical. Way too brief and not much info.

15. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    umm.... the Tacoma has the best fuel economy in its class. WTF are these retards talking about?? Sounds like the reviewer has a personal vendetta against Toyota.

16. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Notice how all the comments from the readers are bad, i think they filter the comments and only post the negative ones

17. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    They didn't mention actually using it as a truck. They reviewed it as if it were a car. My advice to them would be to drive the Frontier then come back and drive the Tacoma again.

18. Aug 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    briboki

briboki Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Off Road 4x4
    It's the best mid sized truck (or at least better than the Colorado, Ranger, Dakota..). A lot of the things they pointed out (engine size, bed size, towing capacity, back seat room) are all compromises.... because it's a mid sized truck.

I will never tow more than 6500 pounds. I don't need a huge v8. I needed a truck with a smallish bed to haul *some* stuff. I needed something that is easy to park and fits in my garage. When I was shopping for trucks, not one half ton truck with a backseat would fit in my garage. I live in Suburbia not on a farm. I don't haul horses or large amounts of hay. Every now and then I haul 500 pounds of rock, mulch, etc. I wanted something with a small bed so I don't junk up the interior of an SUV. The Tacoma fits the bill as a mid sized truck.

A lot of people don't want or need a full size truck. The writer seemed to think people only choose mid sized trucks because they couldn't get a full size.

The article is right on with the pricing though. The Tacoma is over priced. But if Toyota can charge that much and still sell a bunch of Tacomas.... why not? Tacomas hold their value really well. I justified the higher price in my head since Tacomas are *known* for running forever. When I was shopping 8 months ago I really wanted a 2004 double cab TRD 4x4. I couldn't find one with under 100k miles for less than $20k within 300 miles of me. 2nd Gen's with under 50k miles were around $26/$27k.

I do agree with the article that the powertrain/engine is due for an update. Not that I really have any complaints about my 4.0 / 5spd auto combo. Seems like Toyota could have put the 4.0 from the 4runner in though.

19. Aug 4, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I agree that the truck is overpriced, but it keeps selling, so that's capitalism in action.

I wouldn't mind the newer V6 power...

And, I do tend to think that a 60" rear is a tad small. Yeah, I have it, but I'd like it just a touch longer. The LB is a good length, but I think it's almost too long then in the wheelbase. I can't come up with a good compromise though!

I really (really) think that the scoop and short box is a bit funky. It looks good on some trucks (reds, blues and black), but I hated the way it looked on my silver (stubby all around). I'm glad I swapped hoods with another forum member.

A bit negative of a review, but I did agree with a few points.

20. Aug 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    What BS... They make a few valid points but for the most part this dude doesn't know shit. When I bought my first Taco in 08 I test drove every single thing on the market and nothing came even close to this truck. After owning it for 2 years I just bought a 2010 Sport about a week after my buddy bought a loaded Ranger. When I pull them next to eachother his truck looks like a baby. From the interior to the sheet metal IMO there is not a truck in its class that remotely compares.

Im thinking this review was writen by a GM employee... :eek:

Say NO to Taco hatin!!!! :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top