1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power steering concern

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by radioactivemint, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    radioactivemint

radioactivemint [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab 4x4
    When I bought my new truck and got it home, I looked in the engine compartment and noticed liquid that had collected in the skid plate. I reached my finger around there and it was a very light oil. I figured it was just spillage from a factory fill up, so I didn't think much of it.

Today I started my truck and put it in reverse. As I was backing up and turning the wheel to exit my parking space, the power steering seemed pretty rough, made noise and could feel it in the steering wheel...after a couple seconds it was back to normal. I looked under the hood and realized some power steering fluid had leaked (I can take pictures tomorrow) and that was the liquid I had seen in the skid plate.

I guess my question is: is this normal? Just a new car breaking in and what not? I hate that the power steering resevoir is not see through.

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    That doesn't sound normal to me. Even if it is the truck breaking in (which I doubt) Id take it in since its under warranty.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    radioactivemint

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab 4x4
    Aye, I go in tomorrow to refinance (my post-poned downpayment!), so I should probably get it looked at while I'm there.

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 11:51 PM
    radioactivemint

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab 4x4
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there's my problem. In the first pic you can see the leak, in the second you can see it all dripping down the tubes and filling up the skid plate. I just checked the levels with the dipstick cap...bone dry. It's not even showing on the bottom of the dipstick. Only 900 miles on this truck...god, how disheartening. Can I even drive it to the dealer or will that cause even more damage?

5. Nov 4, 2010 at 3:50 AM
    Potomac30

Potomac30 Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    I wouldn't drive it with an empty PS reservoir. I asked the parts guy at our local Toyota dealership about what PS fluid they stock and he said that if they need fluid, they get it from the local parts store - house brand stuff. You could get some fluid and refill the reservoir, crank it up, turn the wheels and refill until you get the system topped off, but if it were my new truck, I'd make the dealership tow it in and fix it or replace it. If you top it off and drive it in yourself, it could run dry before you get there and then they might say that you caused the damage. Good luck.

6. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    radioactivemint

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab 4x4
    I took your advice and had them tow it. They paid for everything. Turns out it was a deformation in the line, a factory defect. Totally covered, including towing. They even washed the old fluid off my skid plate... pretty pleased with the service I received today. The whole ordeal, including towing, was completed in less than two hours.

Products Discussed in

To Top