1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Something wrong with electical part of car???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lennythetaco, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    lennythetaco

lennythetaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    for the past 2 days the light on the dash board of the car battery has been on but the car was running fine till about an hour ago when i turned my car off for 1min and then it would not start. So i then preceded to jump start the car. After this i drove off and everything went to a shit storm, all the lights on the dashboard went on the cd player/ radio turned on and off the speedometer jumps from 0 to the speed im going then while driving into my drive way the car died while still moving. Can any one tell me what is wrong or if they have a guesss???

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    Sounds like your battery is not charging. The red battery light went on when charging stopped and you were able to continue driving until the battery was completely exhausted. Most likely alternator is not working.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    If you have a voltmeter- and can get the truck running- it should read between 13.6 to around 14 Volts if alternator is charging. If voltage is below 13.6 alternator is not putting out enough to charge battery. Also check that alternator belt is not slipping or broken. Check that all connections to battery are tight and ground wires are tightly connected to chassis of vehicle.

If you have a battery charger you should be able to charge battery overnight and be able to drive the vehicle for repair or to get parts.

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    check it

Products Discussed in

To Top