1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for those that have installed URD Short Shifter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xxaarraa, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nov 11, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hello Folks,

I just purchased the URD short throw kit for my 6 speed. I am reading the installation instructions and one thing worries me:

"Use a center punch to stake the setscrews. This is done by
    placing the shifter extension flat in a vice or on an anvil and
    tap the metal just outside of the threaded hole that the
    setscrew goes into. Take care not to damage the tip ball.
    This will peen the opening over and permanently lock the
    setscrews into the shifter so they cannot back out.

There is a lot of high frequency vibration in the transmission
    from the gears and other rotating assemblies. Staking the
    setscrews will make certain that the setscrews cannot back
    out and fall into the transmission"

Staking the stock components doesn't sit right with me. I was hoping this would be reversible at some point.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on this? Is this a mod that cannot be undone? Please advice,

2. Nov 11, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can probably locktite the set screws and get close enuf. You also aren't doing anything to the stock parts...so it might take some extra work to get them out after staking them...you still could...

3. Nov 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    Di Trut

Di Trut Well-Known Member

Member:
    The stock shifter sucked, so i wasn't too worried about this not being reversible. But since none of the stock parts are being peened, it's still possible to remove the URD shifter. It will just be harder to remove the setscrews.

Pretty sure after you feel how much better the shifter feels with the urd kit, you will forget all about reversing this.

4. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    I have put several of these on at various mod days.

I loctite & stake the screws. I have pulled the URD extension off as well. I just use new set screws when reinstalling.

You are better off to stake the set screws.

5. Dec 5, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    Hi guys,

I installed the URD yesterday and while I like the more firm/precise shifts, I am a little concerned about the level of effort to get it in reverse. I am a fairly strong guy but cannot for the life of me get it in reverse without really flexing at a weird angle or using two hands. If anyone is watching from the outside, they are probably thinking WTF.

Does this get better with use? Needs to be worn in or something?

6. Dec 5, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I got used to it pretty quick. A little slapping or the quick pull to the R slot usually works just fine for me.

7. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    Also, here is a tip: The URD instructions say to use a block of wood or something to knock the spacer plate off the transmission. I tried that and ended up breaking a bit off the ceramic base plate. I then used the leg from a jack stand and it did the job perfectly.

[​IMG]

8. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    x2 a quick slap from neutral into reverse works with minimal effort. If you try to slowly pull it over there, it's extremely difficult.

9. Dec 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    Thanks Brunes. I tried the slap thing and it works, though still a bit jarring on my elbow. Does it ever loosen with age? I don't see why it would, but hoping for hope's sake :)

10. Dec 6, 2010 at 3:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Ehhh....I think I got used to it more than it loosened up. It takes some effort- but the shifts thru the rest of the range are worth it IMO. Only spend like 30 seconds in reverse for most trips I go on...

11. Dec 6, 2010 at 4:04 AM
    EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sonora, CA

Everything loosens with age :D

12. Dec 6, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    xxaarraa

Member: