1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boots or no boots on rear 5100's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tepidy, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dec 12, 2010 at 2:50 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Thinking about taking the rear boots of my 5100's. I have heard that its actually causes premature wear on the shocks because water and crud get trapped in them. Any help on this would be appreciated.

2. Dec 12, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Why would you take them off?

Taking them off doesn't give you any performance enhancement. The boots are there to keep the dirt/water off the shaft. So, it makes good sense to leave them on.

I haven't heard people having problems leaving the boots off - however - I deal with air cylinders at work (similar shaft & seal setups) and YES, if the shaft has dirt on it, that can eventually wear away at the seal and can cause leaks over time. IMO How long? Depends. You'd probably replace the shocks sooner ....

3. Dec 12, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    if your reallly that worried about some quality constructed shocks getting a lil dirty you could clean them down real good then put a retention band/c-clip etc. around the boot at the shaft body and seal it that way

Products Discussed in

To Top