1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tires

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TommyTaco, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Apr 19, 2007 at 6:19 AM
    TommyTaco

TommyTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hey Everyone. Currently, I have the factory tires on my 07 Double cab. These are the 245/75/16 Dunlop Grandtrek AT/20's. These are decent, but I have always stayed away from Dunlop. Later on, I will be looking for a bigger tire w/o getting a lift. What is the biggest you can go with the factory suspension. Also, I thinking of getting BFG A/T's. Does anyone have these? If so, what do you think. If not, any reccomandations?

2. Apr 19, 2007 at 6:32 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I have the Dunlops too. I am under the impression that, if you have the Dunlop AT/20s, then you have the Extended Tire Life Package. That package gives me free tires for the first 100,000 miles. I thought - Wow! This is great...

That was until I realized that I have the choice of 4 different tires, and they all stink!

I didn't want the package, so they threw it in for free. I want to put Firestone Destination ATs on my truck. I had them on my Suburban, and they were awesome. Problem is - I void the "warranty" on the tires, and therefore I don't get anymore free tires!!! GRRRR :mad: :frusty:

3. Apr 19, 2007 at 6:35 AM
    TommyTaco

TommyTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for the input 007. Ive got the Impulse red as well. Aint it Hot?

4. Apr 19, 2007 at 6:42 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Yeah, I wasn't a big red fan before this truck, but now I love it! It has so much more personality than any other vehicle I have owned.

5. Apr 19, 2007 at 7:46 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I've tried several different tires on my trucks over the years. Here's my very humble opinion on the ones that stood out:

- BFG A/T: Great, solid tires. Wear well, work well offroad, and are quiet on the street. I got around 40k-50k miles out of them. Everybody runs them, and there's a reason for it.

- Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HP: Worst tires ever. No siping, no channels for water to escape, hydroplane like mad, and they go out-of-round after 20k-30k miles. It happened on my F150 and my uncle's Wrangler. They look good, but that's about it.

- Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip: Awesome performance offroad. Simply unstoppable tires, but they hum like crazy on-road. If you can stand the noise, these are phenomenal tires. Rain, snow, mud, sand, etc. Turns out the initials "PJ" really do make the perfect offroad tread design. :)

- Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor: I'm currently running these and am amazed by them. Excellent in the snow and rain, lots of siping, truly silent on-road, and perform well on sand and dirt. I haven't run mud with them yet, but I think their lack of sidewall tread could hinder their performance. I expect to buy another set when I wear these out, and currently these are my tires of choice for an offroad event I'm prepping my '06 for.

To minimize the chance of interference issues when running larger tires, fully cycle the suspension with the stock tires and measure clearance with the wheels at full lock, etc. That will give you an idea of what size you can run. (I'm thinking it'll be close to stock, unfortunately.) Also consider backspacing if wider tires are what you're looking for. Replacing your rims with ones with different backspacing could buy you and extra inch or two in tire width.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

6. Apr 19, 2007 at 9:40 AM
    m_taker1

m_taker1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Bug deflecter, vent shades, Airaid Intake, Pop 'n lock, replaced chrome bumper with black bumper, replaced chrome grille surround with a black grille surround, blacked out logo in the front, debadged, center console lock, grom audio mp3/ipod,weathertech digital liners
    I ran BFG A/T on my previous s-10 zr2 and i loved them. they were great in the snow and mud. just like mjp2 said the wear is great on them too. personally i like the look also!!

7. Apr 19, 2007 at 2:14 PM
    ImInLoveWithMyTruck

ImInLoveWithMyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hate the Dunlops. They haven't DUN shat for me except get me stuck sometimes!!

8. Apr 19, 2007 at 5:56 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    i got BFG rugged trails on my taco they are good tires

9. Apr 20, 2007 at 5:32 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I am with you on that! I had a nightmare last night that I went to a Goodyear Tire Store to get my tires rotated and my truck came out with two "new" tires on the rear and an "oil change" with regular oil!!! :eek:

They wanted to charge me $300 for not doing what I asked them to do and then voiding my warranty on my tires!

...why can't I have regular nightmares like normal people? :confused:

10. Apr 20, 2007 at 5:52 AM
    evolution6972

evolution6972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    that sucks but dam 2 tires and oil change would be 500 out here i sent my car in to my mechanic once and had an oil change done but it wasnt there for that but he gave it to me free he was like your oils done and im like what i didnt want oil i only had a 1000 miles since you done it lol

11. Apr 20, 2007 at 6:22 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I think I was more upset about the fact that I was running Synthetic and they put Dino fluid in there. :(

12. Apr 20, 2007 at 8:04 AM
    evolution6972

evolution6972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i know i would have demanded my full return of any funds and go somewhere else

13. Apr 20, 2007 at 3:35 PM
    keith1

keith1 Member

Member:
    Maple Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4
    JBA Headers, TRD exhaust, Airraid intake, Pro Comp 3 inch lift
    I have Wild Country TXR 265/75R tires. They are new, only 2k on them so far, but kickass tires so far...

Products Discussed in

To Top