1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions before used Tacoma purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Two Tall, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dec 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Two Tall

Two Tall [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    Retrax MXPro bed cover, Gentex Homelink mirror, TRD exhaust
    Hello
    First time poster, long time Toyota truck fan...92 and 93 trucks and 97 and 06 Tacoma...all 4x4's. My 93 SR5 was the best because it had the most comfortable seats and a factory sunroof!

My Question:
    Like many, I want my truck supercharged but leary about adding to my 2006 TRD Sport DC. It only has 70K, but I've researched the forums extensively and think it is better to get supercharger on a lower mileage truck. My 2006 is the first Toyota I've ever bought brand new because of first year depreciation (even though Toyota is not as affected). I paid it off two years ago and I know it will go for years to come, but I want a supercharger!!. I found a Toyota Certified 2009 TRD Sport DC 4x4 with dealer installed TRD SC and TRD CAI. It only has 12K on it. It is at a high volume Toyota dealer and Toyotathon is going on for another week. I checked the CarFax, no issues except that I saw at 10K it went in for "cooling system check". Also, other concern is in this pic (see attached) of the engine compartment....one of the bolts on the SC unit is rusty and so is the end of the shaft on the main pulley. Also, as part of the Toyota Certification for Used Cars, dealer put new tires on it. My concerns, the one previous owner burned the tires off, did not put in 91+ octane and just abused the truck. The SC was dealer installed. Even with Certification, which comes with a 7yr. 100K powertrain warranty, should I be concerned? Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated.

The truck is priced in line with a 2010 same model because they can't recoup the cost of the SC which is why I'm thinking about buying this one vs. getting a brand new '11 and paying 5K for SC installed. I'm a research freak so I like to do all my homework before I buy.

Thank you all very much for your feedback.

TRD supercharger.jpg

2. Dec 26, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Take it for a test drive. Who cares about a little bit of rust. Just use a plastic scrub pad to clean it off then apply a little bit of silicone spray or some other rust proofing like LPS 3. A little bit cause it will fly off. Just a thin coat.

Don't matter what anyone says you need to take it for a test drive. We don't know the history so how can we judge it? It's probably a repo so it might be in good shape or they traded it in on a more family friendly model. If they are going to Warranty it who cares? It's there problem then.

3. Dec 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    hottacoX

hottacoX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 X Runner
    DTLT| 3" exhaust|NST pullies|NST intake spacer| throttle body spacer| TRD CAI w/ custom cover| Sittin Sic drop|BHLM| 6000K heads+fogs| FLM| Pioneer AVHP42000 HU with 2 JBL 10" subs in a custom fiberglass box, more to come :)
    boost on lower km trucks is always better as over time the 1GR like any motor will loose compression. Now if you want to do more research (not to knock TW) check out xr-underground.com. Guys there are mostly about go fast goodies and many of them have SC's. There are many guys there that have added boost after 120+ miles and are now at 140.., a good friend of mine just rolled 100miles although has been boosted since day 1!

As for the pulley shaft being rusty I wouldn't sweat it as most seem to rust anyway and the other bolt can be replaced if it really bugs ya.

getting a 2011 boosted at present time is not an option as toyota has not released a new reflash to work in conjunction with the pedal recall reflash. There are many peopel that are wanting a TRD SC and can't get it because of this(me being one)....

hope this helps and good luck with your search and either way I am jealous of the added HP

4. Dec 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Wow...just a reminder that you do mods for the joy of the mod, not because of added resale value!

I would also be a little curious about the one rusted bolt head at least, if not the pulley bolt. I should think the SC kit would come with bolts treated for corrosion, like the other ones appear to be. That one only on the SC housing is rusting suggests they had the housing apart, lost one bolt and replaced it with an untreated bolt.

Is the housing disassembled as part of kit installation? If not why would it have been disassembled post-installation? I haven't an answers... but maybe a focused question could get a focused response!

Do not worry about using 91+ octane, it could not have hurt the engine in the least. The worst case is it would not have put out optimum power and so he had less to abuse the power train with if he DID burn the tires off!

Which...is something to worry about with any used vehicle purchase. That's why that 100K warranty is nice!

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top