1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger and turbo timer?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoOwner?, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    TacoOwner?

TacoOwner? [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    Anti-thief tailgate, anytime rear-view camera, anytime locker mod
    In a few days I am going to have the viper 5901 remote start/alarm installed. It has the capability to have a turbo timer but its quite a process according to the guy at the store. So I figured I could have them do it when they install the starter. My question is, would it benefit me with a Rotrex supercharger? I know the purpose is to continue running to cool the oil in a turbo, but unsure about the supercharger. For those who dont know, the rotrex is not a roots style sc. http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=168_2&products_id=1260518946

Josh

2. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Why not ask the dealer?

3. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    Not needed. I would not bother with it.

G

4. Jan 1, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Listen to Gadget. Turbo timers are so that the turbos can spin at a lower rpm after running the vehicle hard and turning it off. You need cooler oil around the turbo bearings so you won't fry the turbo. S/C's are a completely different animal.

5. Jan 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    ZenkaiTaco

ZenkaiTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD OR
    Indeed, not needed. IMO they're not even needed with a turbo after 90% of driving. The only time you would need to turbo time an engine is right after a drag race, running a road course, or spirited canyon run.

Turbos get much hotter then superchargers. If you turn a turboed engine off right after prolonged period of being in boost, the turbo will be hot enough to cook the oil that is hanging out in the center cartridge. By letting it run for a little bit, the oil being pumped through it will cool it off.

6. Jan 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    TacoOwner?

TacoOwner? [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    Anti-thief tailgate, anytime rear-view camera, anytime locker mod
    Ok cool thank you very much for the input. I was not sure if the sc had oiled bearings or whether they needed to be cooled. Sweet that will save me about 100 or so. Also, I can't really ask the dealer because it's not their product, they don't back it or know about it really (few dealers know the rotrex)...unless by dealer you meant the rotrex dealer. Thanks again all!

Josh

7. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    with a supercharger it's completely pointless, most new turbo charged cars dont even need it as most are water cooled also

Products Discussed in

To Top