1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone WIth Paint Chip Problems?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rockstar2448, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Aug 20, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    Rockstar2448

Rockstar2448 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo Ink TRD Sport D-Cab LB 4x4 // 2020 Super White TRD Sport D-Cab LB 4x4
    2005: Toytec 3" Lift, Helo Maxx6 Chrome 17x8, Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17, Polished Billet Grill-Full Front Kit, Westin Polished SS Tube Steps, Leer 700 Tonneau, Fog Lights On Anytime, Debadged, USA Spec iPod Adapter, Britax car seat with special UNC color scheme, Window Tint, SilverStar bulbs 2020: TRD Skid Plate with front spoiler delete, emblems partial removal/blackout, Toyota folding hard tonneau
    I'm driving a 2005 Indigo Ink DC TRD Sport that was bought brand new. I ran the factory wheels and tires until just a couple of months ago. I even left the factory mud flaps on, and the truck hasn't been off-road, at least not yet. Here's what the rear quarter panels look like, just in front of the rear wheels.....:( Anyone else notice this sort of paint chipping on their trucks? It's not much that can be done with it now, except new paint, or color coded Line-X, which I am considering now that they can match paint colors. It's just a bummer to see it all chipped up just from normal highway use and factory wheel/tire combo.

IMG_5009.jpg

2. Aug 20, 2008 at 8:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    A guy I know who used to own a garage nearbye has an 05 - and he bought it new. His paint chip problem was really bad and he noticed it almost immediately less than a year of owning the truck. I'm not sure of the entire details - but he did get toyota to fix it.

He's since moved and trying to sell his shop...so I have no idea how to get a hold of him.

3. Jan 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    FTL911

FTL911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreDblCabTRDSport
    I know a guy with an 06 Dbl cap who appears to have painted areas that were contaminated prior to paint. The areas look like small blistering in areas on the plastic bumper cover, and . The fact that the same blistering which is on the plastic bumper cover; is also on the top portion of the right rear door, is what led me to conclude potential surface contamination prior to paint. This is opposed to suspect initial signs of rust blistering from the spot the top right rear door, which is a painted metal surface. Anyone else experienced this condition on their Taco?

P.S. Truck build location was Mexico, as opposed to the various sites in the US, Canada, or Japan. Could be a potential QA issue in the paint process, or just shear lack of attention to detail; which could have led to an inadvertent surface contamination prior to paint???

4. Jan 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Did you just notice this or has it been this way a while? I have the same year and same color truck with 116k and mines not like that. But it did have some tube steps on it which could have helped. The 05 access cab I just sold wasn't like that either and it had 102k on it. However just about every toyota truck I had before the last 2 05 Tacomas has had wider aftermarket wheels/tires on them. Even with mudflaps the paint would get pretty torn up right in front of the rear wheels pretty quick. My father actually bought the lease out on the 98 tacoma I had and it's had 15x8 aftermarket wheels on it since about 1500 miles. There is NO paint in this area at all, and quite a bit is gone along the rockers now too. Right down to the primer. Oddly enough it hasn't rusted yet.

5. Jan 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    If you do get it repainted, you could always put some 3M film on there. That stuff is TOUGH, and will keep your box-side from chipping in the future.

Honestly though, it seems odd that your box side is so badly chipped. Is your box centered properly?

6. Jan 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    grist

grist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast Pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma trd sport access cab
    Weathertechs, access cover
    I blame it on sand like particles from the roadway. Sort of like a sand blasting. It would be much worse without the mudflaps. I am getting OEM boards to try to cut down on it. I hope it does.

7. Jan 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    =JSG=

=JSG= Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 OR to 2021 DC TRD OR 4x4 SB
    Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 lows, Squadron-R Sport , Method NVs, Bilstein 6112/5160
    that is why u dont remove mud guards

8. Jan 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    silvr07taco

silvr07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner Access Cab
    K&N air filter, Dual XDMA6415, Sound Ordnance™ M-1350, Infinity 1252w, Custom 12" sub box.

I have blisters all over my truck, that looks like paint cracking from below the surface, but it had nothing to do with the prep of the paint surface, its the birds around my house that target the truck on extremely hot summer days, and there droppings eat the paint away, especially since i cannot see the roof of my truck, and when i washed my truck(i wash it every week), i noticed the bird droppings, after i washed them off, i noticed the paint looked like dry skin, with cracks..i tried to buff it out, didn't work. slowly it started turning white around the area, and i cant get it to go away!

Anyways thats probably nothing to do with your issue, just saying that it could happen. hope you find a solution...

9. Jan 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Had that same thing on all my cars when I lived "up north". One trip with my 99 taco up through the rockies made my truck look like that when I was in texas.

High speed gravel will do that.. Its a suck.

THat's why the super heavy chip guard all down the side of the truck and sticker type on the wheel wells.

10. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    probably should have titled it everyone with paint chip problems. I think toyota needs to rethink their painting techniques, from start to finish. I had chiping issues on my 02 and on my 07

11. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Not a toyota thing. They're all like that. Different places depending on the shape of the car.

12. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    I have the same problem on my 09 bsp

13. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:43 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Exactly. That doesnt look like paint "chipping" to me at all. Just looks like any other car thats driven at highway speeds and has a fender that sticks out a little. Hell, you should see how my M3 looks! Maybe worse than that.

14. Jan 17, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    My Subaru Legacy looked awful after 2 winter seasons in NEPA. Looked like I took sand paper to the paint. Chalk it up to the winter months.

15. Jan 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    ryanr623

ryanr623 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone use liquid glass wax?..... my detailer told me to buy it, because after multiple coats it actually hardens the clear coat. They don't sell it or use it, so i tended to believe him. Supposedly it will help chip resistance and sap/bird poop staining.

16. Jan 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    I have the same problem, gonna get a price on getting it painted this spring, then covered with 3m tape

17. Jan 17, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    this is the product by liquid glass he was most likely talking about - also, a professional product called Opti-Coat is a cured sealant that actually adds appreciable durability to the clear coat. the paint needs to be prepared by a professional-quality detailer before application though because once applied, it's on there for good.

all in all a quality multi-piece "bra" kit by 3m or ventureshield is probably the best bet though.

18. Jan 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Yeah...can't quit....They are so yummy. thought about switching to Cheese Doodles.. but those paint chips are too damm good.

Seriously though....Thats why I have always bought Silver trucks. Can't see shyte on them.
    C
    And a couple of black cars taught me to go back to silver....

19. Jan 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    FTL911

FTL911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreDblCabTRDSport
    My noted paint issue has nothing to do with road debris as the culprit. While it could be bird shit, I suspect that is not the case. Both of my locations are to remote for road debris, and as I stated, it appears to be poor paint prep from the factory.

20. Jan 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I had the same problem on my 07 Indigo. I just had the hood and front bumber re-sprayed.

Products Discussed in

To Top