1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB Under Toyota Certified Used Vehicles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Drunknsloth, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth [OP] Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Can I still get the TSB leaf springs or any other TSB's under the Toyota Certified Used Vehicles and the factory warrenty has already expired?

Edit: Answer is YES!

2. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can try...but all of the TSBs I've read specific 3yr/36K warranty.

3. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    PeteH

PeteH Well-Known Member

Member:
    How long have you owned the truck?
    The Toyota CPO plan has a 3 month 3,000 mile comprehensive warranty that should cover TSB's. I am having the heater blower motor and the air intake rattle TSB's fixed under the CPO comprehensive warranty

4. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Mine is certified used and the 30k still applied.... if you just got the truck, its worth a shot if you're over though. Every stealership is different.

5. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    A TSB is just a documented method for correcting common problems with vehicles. I don't see why the Toyota Certified Used Vehicle warranty wouldn't cover costs of repairing problems. If it doesn't it's not much of a warranty and more of a close-the-sale gimmick.

6. Jan 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    It won't cover it in those cases because you have to read the TSB. The TSB in this instance is to deal with a customer complain on a "harsh ride" with a loaded bed. There's nothing in there that says there's actually anything wrong with the truck. Heavier load and it bounced/rode on the bump stops...making it a "harsh ride." But as far as this being a problem, it can handle the load on the bump stops. So the TSB is to, in essence, make the customer happier with their purchase. Thus, they're not going to change out parts to make a customer happy just because they complained about something. That's just part of the things they do during the factory warranty. It's no different than the fact they'll adjust the timing on how long the Auto headlights stay on after the vehicle is shut off for free during the original warranty. Try that after the warranty and they'll charge you. Essentially, extended warranties are only there to fix something that is broken, not please the customer.

7. Jan 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    So you agree...it's not much of a warranty.

8. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I wholeheartedly agree with you! That's why I don't buy them. If something goes wrong, they don't cover it anyway.

9. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    No .... But you can buy an extra leaf yourself for your used truck. If your truck is broken, your extended warranty will fix it. If your used truck didn't have enough leaf springs when you bought it, you should have passed on it. An AAL from Wheelers isn't that expensive.

Cheers. :D

10. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    How did you like the ride?

11. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I know , I read / posted in your rant.

12. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    05Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    That's not the extended warranty we're talking about. You were still running on their extension of the factory warranty, not a purchased extended where they exclude tons of items.

13. Jan 29, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I have the 3 month Toyota Certified Used warranty. I might just call up the stealership and ask. If I'm planning to do a 2" AAL in the future, is it worth getting the TSB?

14. Feb 1, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    dpernisie

dpernisie New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    06 V6 DC TRD Off Road 4X4
    After finding a really helpful service rep at the dealership here in Wellesley, MA I have successfully navigated to getting my rear TSB done on my 06 TRD Off-Road DC (62,xxx) fully covered under my extended warranty. In fact I am driving a loaner (also covered) today as the work gets done right now...

15. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    kar1025

kar1025 Member

Member:
    westminster, md
    Vehicle:
    08 sr5 acess cab
    the certified waranty is powertrain. rear springs are not part powertrain. you should have bought the wrap around with the certified to cover the whole vehicle

16. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    The Certified Comprehensive warranty is for 3 months or 3,000 miles which means "Bumper to Bumper" from the day you bought it used, but the dealer told me it doesn't cover the bumpers... The Certified Powertrain warranty is 7 years or 100,000 miles from the day it was originally sold. Both come with it when you by certified

17. Feb 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    IMO "Certified" is a way to squeeze another grand out of the buyer. Better off buying a non certified and paying for the discounted wrap by someone like Troy if one is worried. Those things work for broken items like power windows....CELS. etc. But there may still be a "diagnostic" fee. No dealer can look at a car and decide it will last 100K or or not on the drive train. The only time they cannot certify a car is when TWO panels have been replaced or multiple owners. You find certified cars with accidents on Carfax all the time. The dealer here had one. "certified" and a complete mess.
    People don't keep their vehicles long enough for Toyota to have to pay up.

I asked the dealer to dump me the "certification" on my wife's RAV for a better price and they did so. It was about $600 more in the F&I office where I asked them to keep the Certification. I could have bought a Service Contract for a longer term that covered more with the savings but decided against it after a year. I like to "play with the house" on these things.

I will decide on my truck in December when the factory warranty expires. If I have no issues I will pass. 60K drive train is good enough. I don't much mre than 6000 miles a year on it anyway.

18. Feb 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    I took my truck in on Saturday to a local Toyota dealer. They were way chill. They had the TSB leaf springs in stock but no TRD shocks which they claimed were needed for the TSB. They told me they would let me know when they get the shocks in and do the TSB for me. I made sure that it was covered under the warranty so nothing is coming out of my pocket. I'll keep you guys updated.

19. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    Drunknsloth

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    UPDATE: The dealership actually did it! :eek: No cost to me at all. It took them about 5 hours. This was only under the 3 month 3000 mile Comprehensive Toyota Certified Used Vehicles Warranty. They replaced my leaf springs with the TSB leaf springs, the shocks (still not sure if they are TRD:notsure:), the U-bolts and my bump stops. Before I use to hit my bump stops everytime I hit a dip or a bump. Now I have yet to hit my new bump stops. :D

20. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    2010Tacoma4x4

2010Tacoma4x4 "Man Ho"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    Tinted windows, Bug deflector, Rain guards, Bed mat, Rear leaf TSB, Bilsteins front & rear (front set @ 1.75), 16x8 chrome Helo wheels, Toyo open country AT P265/75/R16 tires. CBI bolt on sliders. BSP color matched M1 Satoshi grill. BHLM. UWS low profile black powder coat crosover truckbox. Pioneer DVD/CD head unit - 4 channel amp - front mids & highs - 8" sub box.
    Awesome....good to hear that the dealer took care of you.

Products Discussed in

To Top