1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise from engine compartment this morning HELP!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Slowoldman, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Slowoldman

Slowoldman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma 4WD SR5 DCLB
    No mods Yet, just purchased, keep an eye out for them. :)
    Hey Folks, Started my engine this morning allowed to warm up (10 minutes as always) Took off out of driveway and heard a rattling sound coming from the front of the vehicle. I would like to say it sounded like an engine rattle, but I opened the drivers window and continued to drive, and the noise was not loud enough to hear. If i was guessing it sounded like a VVTI or camshaft rotational noise, but it does not go with engine revolutions. I know this is odd, that's why i am turning to the experts. I did fill fuel tank with 93 octane fuel for the first time this week, but I would think the lower octane may contribute to engine noise not higher. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love my truck. :confused: Thanks for your time.

Slowoldman.

2. Mar 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    cohrmundt

cohrmundt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD SPORT 4X4
    4.88 nitro gears, Detroit rear, Projector headlights, Relentless Fab custom bumpers and sliders, 6" Pro Comp suspension, all pro leafs, 37x13.5x17 toyo open country tires, method racing wheels, Flowmaster exhaust w/cutout, DTLT headers, K&N CAI, URD MAF calibrator, grillcraft grill with 30" and 20" led bars behind, windshield mounted 50" led bar, Infinity 6x9 speakers, Custom box w/MTX 7500 10"sub, MTX 1200 watt amp, blue led gauge cluster and radio mod, URD short shifter, fiberwerx fenders
    did you ever figure out what the sound was?? mine is doing the same thing now, and throwing P0022 engine code:

A P0022 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:
    • <LI itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="85">Incorrect camshaft timing <LI itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="84">Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system <LI itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="83">Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
    • Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
    Possible causes
    - Dirty Oil
    - Variable Valve Timing (VVT) circuit is open or shorted
    - Oil Control Valve (OCV) circuit is open or shorted
    - Faulty variable valve timing (VVT)
    - Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
    - Damaged ECM

where the hell do i start:confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top