1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 sp manual shift knob adjustment?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toytruckmike, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    Toytruckmike

Toytruckmike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Amarillo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport AC 6sp 4x4 Gone:18 TRD Sport 4x4 double cab. Cement
    Not much on the 07 yet. 18 is gone, but was a greata truck. TRD Pro grill, Gator FX3, Homelink mirror, Black out badges & exhaust tip, Remote start. Future TRD exhaust, skid plate.
    Hi,
    I have the 6sp manual shifter in my Tacoma and the knob won't stay in place, it is fairly tight, but still moves a bit.
    Since I am famous for stripping bolts, I am hesitant to turn it another turn.
    How tight should I be able to get the shift knob before much destruction happens???
    Thanks,
    MichaelS.

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't think you can strip it, as long as the threads are mated properly... If it's screwed on properly, I say crank it down as best you can, by hand. I mess with mine all the time, while in traffic, turning it 180 and trying it out, and switching it back. You wont strip it.

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Yeah you won't strip it. I had a rubber washer on mine and that seemed to help alot.

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    BigBiscuit

BigBiscuit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mass.
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    Just put a drop of removable Loctite (the blue stuff) on the threads. Screw the knob on until the alignment is where you want it and let it set for a while. It'll stay put afterwards.

5. Feb 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    You talkin about the aftermarket shift knob? The big, relatively ugly (some say it's out of place) but terribly comfy ball.

If it's moving on you you don't have the lock nut installed or you're not using a wrench. I'd brake the shaft before I got mine off.

As for the stock one. They seem to have a sleeve that rotates. I've honked that thing down a good couple of extra turns. Never had a problem with it moving after that.
    ITs plastic anyway. Worst thing you'll do is strip the plastic and have to get the round knob or a new plastiknob.

Products Discussed in

To Top